Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #181
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wonder if after the operators asks, “what is the nature of he emergency?” It dawns on them that what they are calling about isn’t an emergency.
It hasn't helped yet.

Though I often just shake my head when they reply "Oh, this isn't an emergency, but..."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #182
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Am I naive or is it unusual to say a kid in imminent danger after being abducted by his mother?
Quote:
This is an Alberta Emergency Alert. Edmonton Police Service has issued an AMBER Alert. This alert is in effect for: Alberta. Edmonton Police have issued an Amber Alert for a child who was abducted today at 2:50 PM from the Waverley Elementary School in the area of 68 ST and 89 Ave., Edmonton. Noah Ducharme is described as age 8, male, 4 FT., 70 lbs, short brown hair, wearing a dark green hoodie, light coloured jeans, yellow and black Nike prescription glasses. Noah was abducted by his mother Brianne Hjalte described as age 31, Indigenous female, 5 FT., 7 inches, 180 lbs, dark shoulder length hair, wearing a dark jacket, dark pants. They left the area on foot WB on 89 AV. They are believed to be travelling in a 2008 Silver, Jeep Patriot with Alberta plate Z W K 8 4 4. It is believed that Noah is in imminent danger. Do not approach the suspect. Please call the Edmonton Police at 780-423-4567 if you have any information. For details visit www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca or stay tuned to local media.
Because a parent generally does not put their child in imminent danger. I hope the amber alert was not issued because she is an indigenous female.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #183
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
Am I naive or is it unusual to say a kid in imminent danger after being abducted by his mother?

Because a parent generally does not put their child in imminent danger. I hope the amber alert was not issued because she is an indigenous female.
Or they believed the child was in imminent danger?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #184
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calling 911 to complain about an Amber alert??

People get dumber by the second.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #185
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In this case, very much so.

Quote:
Not even close.

Did you not hear about the outcome of the Ontario's most recent Amber Alert? Parents can be very dangerous to the health of their children.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #186
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wasn't that girl who got abducted in Ontario by her father? And she ended up dead?

Sorry, reply late.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #187
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
In this case, very much so.

Not even close.

Did you not hear about the outcome of the Ontario's most recent Amber Alert? Parents can be very dangerous to the health of their children.
Yes but the very few times it happens it's the father.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #188
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mothers can be just as hard on their children. Just because someone is a mother doesn't mean that they can't/won't/don't hurt their children. To assume so is indeed quite naive.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #189
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were 33 homicides committed against children under the age of 12 in 2003, the lowest number in over 25 years. Of these victims, 14 (or 42%) were under one year of age.
Of the 27 solved homicides against children, 23 were killed by a parent: 10 by a mother, 9 by a father, 4 by a step-father, and 1 by a step-mother (in one incident, both parents were accused). In addition, 2 children were killed by their day-care provider and 2 by a stranger.

from 2003 but it has always been around 50 50
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #190
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this debate still going on? Unless I'm reading wrong, the last Amber Alert in Alberta was in October. Now it's March.

People seriously cant understand that being alerted every 4-5 months is not a big deal for you but could be a big deal for the person in danger?\

Suck it up.

Very disappointed.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #191
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
There were 33 homicides committed against children under the age of 12 in 2003, the lowest number in over 25 years. Of these victims, 14 (or 42%) were under one year of age.
Of the 27 solved homicides against children, 23 were killed by a parent: 10 by a mother, 9 by a father, 4 by a step-father, and 1 by a step-mother (in one incident, both parents were accused). In addition, 2 children were killed by their day-care provider and 2 by a stranger.

from 2003 but it has always been around 50 50
The stats were quite incredible until I saw the quote said solved homicides. And are stats from 2003 even relevant?

I was just wondering if the mother being an indigenous female was a factor in the province-wide amber alert - i.e. if it was a white female would it have been chalked off as a custody dispute and not the subject of an amber alert. I have no idea, just posting in case anyone knows.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #192
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The stats were quite incredible until I saw the quote said solved homicides. And are stats from 2003 even relevant?

I was just wondering if the mother being an indigenous female was a factor in the province-wide amber alert - i.e. if it was a white female would it have been chalked off as a custody dispute and not the subject of an amber alert. I have no idea, just posting in case anyone knows.
27 out of 33, and I would suspect the unsolved are almost all stranger crimes and so in this discussion irrelevant.
Mothers are usually as likely to kill as fathers, they tend to have different reasons and the kids tend to be younger but the ratio is usually about 50 50
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #193
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
just posting in case anyone knows.
No you aren’t.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #194
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be? What do you think has changed in the last 15 years to make them irrelevant?

Quote:
I was just wondering if the mother being an indigenous female was a factor in the province-wide amber alert - i.e. if it was a white female would it have been chalked off as a custody dispute and not the subject of an amber alert.
Do you think they issue an Amber Alert just because a parent takes off with a child? If that were the case, we'd be getting these things far more frequently. As I understand it (and WhiteTiger can confirm), they're issued only when authorities have reason to believe the child is in danger. And I assume that means the parent has a history of violence or credible threats of violence.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #195
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't disagree. But you know you don't have to sleep with your phone beside you, right? If you're a light sleeper and these alerts will wake you up, just leave your phone in another room when you go to bed.
Just turn it off. Almost every phone now has an option to turn itself back on at a particular time, e.g. when the alarm goes off. Saves your battery too. Why leave it on in DND mode anyway?

I don't have a strong opinion about whether the system needs tweaking, but I do think the people who do have strong opinions that it shouldn't should probably consider why they're so sure. Almost everything in our society, public policy wise, is based on a utilitarian calculus. It's not clear which way the scales tip in this instance, if that's your guiding star.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #196
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think they issue an Amber Alert just because a parent takes off with a child? If that were the case, we'd be getting these things far more frequently.
Sadly, very true. I see/deal with a lot of kids being used as various 'things' between two adults no longer together, and it's heartbreaking.

Quote:
As I understand it (and WhiteTiger can confirm), they're issued only when authorities have reason to believe the child is in danger.
Yup. That is criteria point number 2 of the 4 that have to be met before an Amber Alert is issued.

Quote:
And I assume that means the parent has a history of violence or credible threats of violence.
Not quite. A history like that certainly 'helps' the situation get there faster, but given the complex emotions around relationships and children, things can bubble up fast and unexpectedly.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #197
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Just turn it off. Almost every phone now has an option to turn itself back on at a particular time, e.g. when the alarm goes off. Saves your battery too. Why leave it on in DND mode anyway?

I don't have a strong opinion about whether the system needs tweaking, but I do think the people who do have strong opinions that it shouldn't should probably consider why they're so sure. Almost everything in our society, public policy wise, is based on a utilitarian calculus. It's not clear which way the scales tip in this instance, if that's your guiding star.
I leave my phone on Do Not Disturb because it filters out notifications and texts, but not phone calls. It's the only line of communication I have in my home, and if there's an emergency, personal or otherwise, I want to hear it...and that usually comes in the form of a phone call over a text.

/cool story bro

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #198
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be? What do you think has changed in the last 15 years to make them irrelevant?
I accept that my conjecture was wrong, and I'm not trying to prolong the debate, but to answer the question, I thought that the majority of mother homicides in 2003 would have been something along the lines of this, which I read recently and it broke my heart:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.d2c2d0f83dfe

In the comments people stated that safe haven laws weren't in place then (the first was in Texas in 1999), and Canada still doesn't have one, although hospitals in a few cities have angel's cradles:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37632550/

It was just a gut reaction to the notion that a mother could be thought to potentially harm her child, and I've been corrected.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #199
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #200
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the Sun picked up on Cst Mark Smith's frustrations with folks calling to complain:

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...d-36aae33df5d7

(Calgary Sun article)