Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #641
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Not everyone who thinks he leaves didn't think he would sign in the first place.

The positives of leaving outweigh the benefits of staying.

- Meets a local girl? I am pretty sure the local girl is willing to go wherever he goes..happens dozens of times each year.
- Gets married here? Unlikely if he is a single guy right now. He would need to meet that girl pretty much now, have her be the one, date for a while, get engaged, and married... not enough time IMO
- Wants to win? He will have the opportunity to pick just about any team and there are multiple options all within driving distance to his family.
- Has friends here? He has more friends out east.
- Has bonded with his teammates? He has shown he is huge on family and family will outweight his teammates.

His dad had that scare which I am sure will also weight heavily in spending more time with family and wanting to be closer to them. He seems like a genuine guy and I would hold no grudge on him moving closer to home. It isn't as if he would play the family card out of no where. Being drafted to the flames and refusing to sign is quite a bit different than moving close to home after putting in 6 years of service with the team who drafted you.

Anyway, I hope he stays but if he did leave, I am sure he would be welcomed in this city with open arms in a much different way than say, Tavares.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #642
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think as long as the team is consistently good, we will keep Johnny. If the Flames keep alternating playoff/non-playoff years, he's gone.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #643
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

count me in for johnny leaving, I cant see him going through another tough negotiation with treliving and you know hes going to get paid next time around. He's gonna sign a fat contract out east and I will be happy for him. This is the price we pay for getting him on a such a bargain contract in his RFA years.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #644
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
count me in for johnny leaving, I cant see him going through another tough negotiation with treliving and you know hes going to get paid next time around. He's gonna sign a fat contract out east and I will be happy for him. This is the price we pay for getting him on a such a bargain contract in his RFA years.
There is no tough negotiations to be done on this one. This is Jonny running the show the whole way.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #645
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

How the hell did we go from Tkachuk is awesome to Johnny is leaving?

We're the best team in the Western Conference, the second-best team in the NHL and we just clinched a playoff spot with ten games remaining. What should we talk about? Oh I know, how about "Johnny's gonna leave us in four years."
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #646
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think it's pretty arrogant to claim that he's either leaving or not leaving with certainty. There's good cases to be made for either side.

I think if you add up a couple factors (price, desire to be back east, Flames cap situation in three years) he'll probably be gone. But ultimately it may be be best for both parties. We won't be able to afford $11-$14 mil for a left wing if we're a contender in 3 years.

He'll likely get his pay day in the east with an up and coming team where the family is all together, and I think the Flames will do the right thing and make a trade that brings back a major or multiple major assets and we move forward as a franchise in a responsible manner that doesn't leave us as the next contender with insurmountable cap issues on forward.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #647
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
- Gets married here? Unlikely if he is a single guy right now. He would need to meet that girl pretty much now, have her be the one, date for a while, get engaged, and married... not enough time IMO.
He could meet someone tomorrow and be married by July, he could decide to never marry. And by he I mean anyone. Relationships aren't cars going down the assembly line.

Last edited by Rando; 03-17-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #648
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
He could meet someone tomorrow and be married by July, he could decide to never marry. And by he I mean anyone. Relationships aren't cars going down the assembly line.
I am aware of the process and ability to get it done in a timely manner. I was simply referring to the more common timeline, especially among athletes who have over a hundred million in potential earnings at stake and live a life that requires more time to get to know each other than the average joe.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #649
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Matthew Tkachuk thread turns into fear of abandonment thread. Smh.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #650
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I am aware of the process and ability to get it done in a timely manner. I was simply referring to the more common timeline, especially among athletes who have over a hundred million in potential earnings at stake and live a life that requires more time to get to know each other than the average joe.
I am pretty sure I have read here on CP from people close to the team that Gaudreau is already seeing a local girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #651
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said, it's just my gut feeling. I don't have any evidence either way on whether he has a preference to go or stay. I just would not be surprised at all if he leaves once he hits UFA. And I'm ok with that. Unless he screws the team over like Tavares, I'll still give him a standing ovation when he comes back to the Dome or whatever new arena we'll have by then.

No abandonment issues, it's just the reality of the NHL as a business.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #652
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has a modified NTC in his final year, the year he is likely traded for assets if he has indicated to the team that he does not plan on extending (would be a shame if we took the CBJ route and got nothing back for players who say they are not staying).
If Calgary is a contender in Johnny's final year, I'm not so sure they punt the season and trade him at the dead line.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #653
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Matthew Frickin' Tkachuk!

Let’s get this discussion back on track, Tkachuk has 25 more pts and 3 more goals than Laine. I don’t see how any GM would take Laine at 2 in a re-draft. Tkachuk has shown constant progression and there is no reason to think he won’t keep improving. Laine has added nothing to his game since he’s been a pro and has become predictable. I know who I’m taking!

It’s funny because me and many others were disappointed with not getting the second pick that year, while the flames had better odds than the Jets.

Not to mention our two biggest rivals passed on him which makes his emergence as a star even more sweeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 03-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #654
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think at this point, it's a coin flip who you would take between Laine and Tkatchuk. I'm biased, so I wouldn't trade Chucky straight up for Laine. But you can't throw Laine's first two seasons out either, guy was a monster at scoring.

I definitely think Tkatchuk's narrowed the gap between the two though, and if the trend continues, he could pass Laine if Laine has already peaked. IMO, I think Laine will improve, he's just having one of those inconsistent years. I guess it works out for the Jets since it probably knocks a few million off his RFA contract.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #655
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I think at this point, it's a coin flip who you would take between Laine and Tkatchuk. I'm biased, so I wouldn't trade Chucky straight up for Laine. But you can't throw Laine's first two seasons out either, guy was a monster at scoring.

I definitely think Tkatchuk's narrowed the gap between the two though, and if the trend continues, he could pass Laine if Laine has already peaked. IMO, I think Laine will improve, he's just having one of those inconsistent years. I guess it works out for the Jets since it probably knocks a few million off his RFA contract.
I'd take Chucky because I think there is an edge to his game that Laine will never have,

Unless Laine is scoring goals, he's not accomplishing much.

I also think Laine is simply having an off year and he's a beast at scoring.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #656
Huntsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree he will get paid. BUT I think Flames will go for a short term deal if possible. If they give him the 8-9 M he would demand in UFA then team will be restricted for years. If they can give him say a 6.5 a year 3 years deal. Then Brodie will be gone or reduced. Geo will be on a year to year. Neal will be gone or bought out. Then you can afford to give him that 9-10 M if he is still same player. IMO Johnny will be gone when his dea\l is done. Philly will give him 12 M and Flames wont match that. So at that point you have money for Tkatchuk. Gives them at least 3 good years to make a run at a Cup..
Huntsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #657
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Sorry about the bump, but I was unsure where to put this...

The Top Ten List on SportCentre tonight will be THE TOP TEN MATTHEW TKACHUK MOMENTS, following the Leafs game.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #658
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sorry about the bump, but I was unsure where to put this...

The Top Ten List on SportCentre tonight will be THE TOP TEN MATTHEW TKACHUK MOMENTS, following the Leafs game.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/top-10-...oments~1898045
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #659
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

On right now
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 PM   #660
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

That was fun to watch.

I was pleasantly surprised there were only three between the legs plays, that could probably be a top 10 category on its own
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote