Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Marathon Training

Hi all,

For some dumb reason I agreed to run a marathon in September. It is about 17 weeks out now so I am hoping to start on a training program. I have been running consistently so far this year, over 200kms so far, but have never done a marathon. On top of finishing, I am hoping to push to under a 4hr time.

Is there any training schedule that the CP brain trust can recommend? And am always up for any tips as well.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

No specific suggestions, but I've always wondered if swimming would be a good thing to include as part of a regimen. This for a combination of not relaxing the endurance part of the training on days where you don't run as much, but also beneficial for the recovery for the joints by reducing the strain on them/cooling them.

I have mentioned that to a few runner friends. It often just ends up with them agreeing it seems like something good to add, but no one ever seems to include it as part of their regimen.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A couple recommendations:
- don't increase your mileage too quickly
- marathons are quite a bit mental, planning and mental fortitude go a long way
- don't discount/skip the training. Your body gets use to running as long as you put the miles in.

http://impactmagazine.ca/fitness/training-plans/running-training-plans/
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slots881 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're training your joints, tendons, as well as cardio. Cardio can recover faster than joints and tendons. Cycling is great for also building some endurance and particularly cardio... but be careful of mixing the two. Be sure to work on flexibility and definitely building core strength. Also be sure to look at your feet and shoes as shoes get tired before they look beaten up.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

First marathon I did Hal Higdon training program, similar goal as you, crack 4hrs, with secondary goal of 3:45, survived and got 3:50. I think for a first marathon his program is nice a simple and easy to keep yourself accountable. Ever since then though I've been using programs from a book called YOU (Only Faster) By Greg McMillan and it made me so much better of a runner. So if you look at Higdon's program and are like that seems a little beginner and basic to me, AND already have a decent weekly base mileage going, I would look at purchasing McMillan's book 100%

Good luck! Training through the summer can be tough with the heat, make sure to bring the water!
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have nothing to add but if you have some down time watch Run Fatboy Run.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Hi all,

For some dumb reason I agreed to run a marathon in September. It is about 17 weeks out now so I am hoping to start on a training program. I have been running consistently so far this year, over 200kms so far, but have never done a marathon. On top of finishing, I am hoping to push to under a 4hr time.

Is there any training schedule that the CP brain trust can recommend? And am always up for any tips as well.
Your two best weapons are going to be sleep and water.

Water, water, water is the key. I use electrolytes like nuun as well.

Switch your shoes every 500km.

And....don't run with music. You won't be allowed it during the race so get used to not having it.

Good luck and have fun!
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Marathon Training

^This. You will require plenty of sleep. And foam rolling/stretching. Also, figure out your nutrition strategy during your long training runs. If you don’t fuel properly, you’ll bonk hard. I take one gel every 7k or so, or every 5-6K if it is hotter out. If hot, you’ll also want sports salt. And don’t plan on walking down any stairs the following day or two.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 05-21-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throwing some swimming and biking in occasionally is also good, and breaks up the mono use of the running muscles. At least, that’s what my coach tells me, lol. I like the change of pace here and there.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
^This. You will require plenty of sleep. And foam rolling/stretching. Also, figure out your nutrition strategy during your long training runs. If you don’t fuel properly, you’ll bonk hard. I take one gel every 7k or so, or every 5-6K if it is hotter out. If hot, you’ll also want sports salt. And don’t plan on walking down any stairs the following day or two.
This is another good point.

I would get this:

https://travelroller.com/product/tra...ler-4-3-black/

Arysta is from Calgary too. This is a must have for any runner/cyclist.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #11
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
And....don't run with music. You won't be allowed it during the race so get used to not having it.
wait what? I haven't done a formal race for a few years, but in all the ones I've been in, easily over half the people got the earbuds in. there's nothing better than when you're crapping out, and suddenly one of your fire jams comes up in the rotation, boosting your speed by 20s/km.

also, any thoughts on the carbon plate shoes that have been sweeping the running world the past couple years? I'm not nearly fit enough to take full advantage of them, but I kind of want a pair just to pretend like I strapped rockets on my ankles.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Good for you. Quite a challenge.

I don't even want to do things I enjoy for 4 hours.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #13
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

This might help:

To whom it may concern,

I have signed up for your marathon this September. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, in addition to the increase spread of COVID-19, I will not be able to properly train or attend the event.

I am respectfully requesting a refund of the monies paid in light of these circumstances.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to partaking in the future.

Cheevers

There you go, you're all set.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #14
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
wait what? I haven't done a formal race for a few years, but in all the ones I've been in, easily over half the people got the earbuds in. there's nothing better than when you're crapping out, and suddenly one of your fire jams comes up in the rotation, boosting your speed by 20s/km.

also, any thoughts on the carbon plate shoes that have been sweeping the running world the past couple years? I'm not nearly fit enough to take full advantage of them, but I kind of want a pair just to pretend like I strapped rockets on my ankles.
Yeah, a few races say they don't allow headphones, but don't really enforce it. Most races allow them. Races that don't allow them are stupid, and it's usually best to avoid them. If the organizers are stupid about one thing, they're probably stupid about other things as well.

Also, good luck cheevers! I did two marathons a few years ago, and if I can do it, anyone can.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve twice run sub-three hours. I recommend reading Jeff Galloway’s training book. It’s somewhat criticized because he recommends a tough regimen but I found it really helpful. One of his strategies is to run more than the 26.2 hours (edit: meant miles) a couple of times. I’m no athlete but I’m very mentally tough. Find a distraction like someone who runs at your target pace and chat. The headphones are a good idea.

Are you mentally tough? The wall exists and getting over it is damn hard. You’ll want to quit; you have to fight that urge. Do fartlek training once a week.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 05-22-2021 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Edit: 26.2 hours should be miles.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #16
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My advice is pretty simple. Find a good training plan and stick to it. I've run two marathons. The first one I followed the program to a t and I felt great during the race. The second marathon I cheated here and there on the program. I really suffered in the final 10km.

Really take in and enjoy the whole process. It feels pretty amazing to accomplish that goal.
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ve twice run sub-three hours. I recommend reading Jeff Galloway’s training book. It’s somewhat criticized because he recommends a tough regimen but I found it really helpful. One of his strategies is to run more than the 26.2 hours a couple of times. I’m no athlete but I’m very mentally tough. Find a distraction like someone who runs at your target pace and chat. The headphones are a good idea.

Are you mentally tough? The wall exists and getting over it is damn hard. You’ll want to quit; you have to fight that urge. Do fartlek training once a week.
I really hope you mean miles.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #18
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I really hope you mean miles.
Oops, of course. Don’t know how that happened.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #19
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks everyone, some really great advice in here. I have decided to go with the Hal Higdon training. It allows me to slowly ramp up my training while also being flexible enough to allow me to cycle, do intervals, and hill runs.

I have always hated running even though I play soccer, but having been somewhat training for a few months I have started looking forward to my lunch runs.

Again thanks everyone, looking forward to drinking as much beer and eating as many wings as I can when this is all over.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #20
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Thanks everyone, some really great advice in here. I have decided to go with the Hal Higdon training. It allows me to slowly ramp up my training while also being flexible enough to allow me to cycle, do intervals, and hill runs.

I have always hated running even though I play soccer, but having been somewhat training for a few months I have started looking forward to my lunch runs.

Again thanks everyone, looking forward to drinking as much beer and eating as many wings as I can when this is all over.

Let's be clear... you don't workout to get fit, you workout so you can drink as much beer and as many wings as you can...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote