Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #3261
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Dude was kind of a massive piece of #### though.
Almost all the wrestlers that came up in that time frame were as bad as new jack, he just made no attempt to hide it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #3262
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, that was a weird generation, there were a lot of wrestlers of that age in that ECW locker room that were not good people, and it was across the whole wrestling world. Anyone remember Rock and Roll Buck Zumhofe from AWA.

The problem with New Jack is that he went out of his way to hurt people. Just watch the Dark Side of the Ring documentary. I kind of doubt that a lot of people in that industry are sad to see him go. He might have been his true self in the ring, but a big part of your job is to remember that your opponent is trusting you with his body. That was a mistake with guys like New Jack.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:49 AM   #3263
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Almost all the wrestlers that came up in that time frame were as bad as new jack, he just made no attempt to hide it.
Umm, he kind of tried to murder a guy in the ring.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #3264
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turns on Backlash. Immediately wonders WTF
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #3265
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t remember other wrestlers stabbing their opponents nine times in the ring, do you?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #3266
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

And?

Bradshaw and Ron Simmons came damn close to doing the same thing to Public Enemy. Or Stevie Richards trying to cave Bradshaw's skull in. Or Antonio Inoki and the Great Antonio.That's just off the top of my head. Old school guys would always try and hurt you bad if you stepped out of line.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #3267
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And?

Bradshaw and Ron Simmons came damn close to doing the same thing to Public Enemy. Or Stevie Richards trying to cave Bradshaw's skull in. Or Antonio Inoki and the Great Antonio.That's just off the top of my head. Old school guys would always try and hurt you bad if you stepped out of line.
Yes but New Jack was a total POS. Trying to hurt deliberately hurt others for no reason. I mean the Freight Train incident alone should have kept him from getting work, nevermimd the Gypsy Joe disaster, the Vic Grimes Indy match amd his Terrie Runnels stories. Why anybody would ever get in the ring with him is beyond me.

EDIT: sorry Mass Transit, not Freight Train
Old 05-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #3268
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

More then once, You're probably thinking the Mass Transit situation, but I still remember watching a ECW ppv where there was a multi table spot set up and he intentionally threw his opponent off of the balcony past the tables and the guy fell straight to the concrete floor, New Jack later stated that he felt he was disrespected.

So I watched the Nick Gage Dark Side of the Ring tonight, what a #### show, I don't think he realized that this episode made him look like a complete idiot. On top of that there is video from a recent event where he lit a opponent on fire in a stunt that went pretty wrong.

Garbage wrestling is just that. I mean to me, it something that can be rolled out once and in a while as a blow off to a feud. But man these shows are just untalented idiots slicing and stabbing each other. I wouldn't recommend watching that episode unless you have a strong stomach btw.

As for Backlash. That Reigns Cesaro match was amazing, Belair vs Bayley was very good, but Baley is probably one of the most complete wrestlers on that roster.

The other matches were medicore, I groaned when they took the belts off of Zigglar and Rhoode who have been great heel champions and put the belts on the Mysterios. I mean DM has all the charisma of this cardboard box I'm holding up, and I never was really into RM.

The woman's triple threat was decent, but didn't standout.

The Miz vs Priest with the zombie lumberjacks to promote Batista's new movie was just the height of cringeworthy, and besides they missed the opportunity to role out the original ECW zombie. But man it was just dumb.

The triple threat with Lashley, Strowman and Drew was ok, but at least they kept the belt on Bobby, and if I would have said that a year or so ago I would have punched myself in the face.

Like I said, the Reigns vs Cesaro match was outstanding, Reigns has become an amazing heel, and Cesaro played the underdog role really well. But the after match stuff was dumb as it feels like we're already moving on to a Cesaro vs Rollin's feud, which well it should produce good matches, its a who cares feud at this point.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:08 PM   #3269
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
And?

The difference is that New Jack would hurt you even if you didn't step out of line, and he wasn't like Vader who would hurt you because he was just an enormously strong guy. Even if you were willing to work with and respected New Jack, he showed time after time that he didn't give a crap about you or your body.

You can talk about the APA beat down of Public enemy, but the APA didn't cross a major line of trying to cripple their opponent, they went stiff on Public Enemy. However we do know that Bradshaw was always a bully, look at what he did to Blue Meanie. However I don't think that you can compare Bradshaw to New Jack, who went into every match with a mentality I'm going to hurt you.

I just never had much respect for how New Jack did business, and there's a reason why he never got as far as he should have in the wrestling game with the pure amount of charisma that he had. Because nobody would want to work with him or trust him.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #3270
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What is going on in the WWE? There are absolutely zero swerves. None. ziltch.

Tonight was the perfect stage to introduce someone fresh or bring back a throwback to take on Bobby Lashley's challenge...and we get...Kofi Kingston? Why? What was the point? Hell, even having Bray Wyatt take on the challenge would have been interesting and more fun.

There's is absolutely zero sense of surprise. Even the worst soap opera has a sense of "what will happen next?". There's absolutely zero reason to watch...yet here I am. ugh..so frustrating.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:53 PM   #3271
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
What is going on in the WWE? There are absolutely zero swerves. None. ziltch.

Tonight was the perfect stage to introduce someone fresh or bring back a throwback to take on Bobby Lashley's challenge...and we get...Kofi Kingston? Why? What was the point? Hell, even having Bray Wyatt take on the challenge would have been interesting and more fun.

There's is absolutely zero sense of surprise. Even the worst soap opera has a sense of "what will happen next?". There's absolutely zero reason to watch...yet here I am. ugh..so frustrating.

Yeah, it was a weirdly flat non event Raw. I mean there were some good matches, Charlotte vs Asuka.

On a side note it sounds like we won't be seeing Bray for a longtime, it sounds like he took a leave from the WWE as he's having some issues dealing with the death of Brodie.

I love Alexa, but I have no clue what they're doing with her anymore, I guess we're going to get a possession like what Bray did to her.

But I can't stand the Riddle pairing with Orton.

In the Captain's fast forward timer, I got through 3 hours or Raw in about 40 minutes.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #3272
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't watched raw, but they are having some horrible storylines that somehow turn out good matches at the ppv

Both the raw triple threat title matches at backlash were good

The roman vs cesaro match was quite possibly moty so far, roman just continues to up himself

The zombie thing for the lumberjack match was possibly the dumbest thing that's ever happened
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #3273
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, it was a weirdly flat non event Raw. I mean there were some good matches, Charlotte vs Asuka.

On a side note it sounds like we won't be seeing Bray for a longtime, it sounds like he took a leave from the WWE as he's having some issues dealing with the death of Brodie.

I love Alexa, but I have no clue what they're doing with her anymore, I guess we're going to get a possession like what Bray did to her.

But I can't stand the Riddle pairing with Orton.

In the Captain's fast forward timer, I got through 3 hours or Raw in about 40 minutes.
Agree with all of that. What has always made wrestling storylines fun was the element of surprise. I mentioned Bray because having him come out (as Bray Wyatt) would have instantly made him a face. I have no idea what Bray Wyatt is anymore. A face? A heel? No idea. He's just there.

Having Cena answer the challenge last night would have been fun ( and I dislike Cena). Having Brock answer the challenge last night would have been fun. (I realize that both of those wouldn't happen, but hopefully you get what I'm getting at) Having someone from NXT answer the challenge would have been fun.

There were plenty of ways to go about this. It was a perfect opportunity to add in some surprise/intrigue. Instead, we get kofi. Good grief. Just all around terrible. It's like they've never done this before.

Add to that....as soon as it was announced that this wasn't a "championship match", you already now Kofi is going to win by pinfall. its so obvious.

What is wrong perhaps having Kofi win by pinfall and then announcing afterwards that it wasn't a championship match. It would have led to more heat on the champion and people would have had sympathy for Kofi. Instead, they give away the ending and nobody gets heat.

Last edited by MacFlame; 05-18-2021 at 09:55 AM.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #3274
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
Agree with all of that. What has always made wrestling storylines fun was the element of surprise. I mentioned Bray because having him come out (as Bray Wyatt) would have instantly made him a face. I have no idea what Bray Wyatt is anymore. A face? A heel? No idea. He's just there.

Having Cena answer the challenge last night would have been fun ( and I dislike Cena). Having Brock answer the challenge last night would have been fun. (I realize that both of those wouldn't happen, but hopefully you get what I'm getting at) Having someone from NXT answer the challenge would have been fun.

There were plenty of ways to go about this. It was a perfect opportunity to add in some surprise/intrigue. Instead, we get kofi. Good grief. Just all around terrible. It's like they've never done this before.

Add to that....as soon as it was announced that this wasn't a "championship match", you already now Kofi is going to win by pinfall. its so obvious.

What is wrong perhaps having Kofi win by pinfall and then announcing afterwards that it wasn't a championship match. It would have led to more heat on the champion and people would have had sympathy for Kofi. Instead, they give away the ending and nobody gets heat.

I agree with you in a lot of ways.

Bray even as the fiend was designed to be a tweener face righting the wrongs that were done to Bray Wyatt, it just never worked out that way because he was so badly used and couldn't win matches.

My feeling is that Cena is done with WWE, he's shown very little interest in it, especially on his twitter account. I think there was a falling out between him and Vince. I also think that Brock isn't coming back any time soon.

Keith Lee would have been a good surprise to roll out, but he's in the bad books with WWE right now for whatever reason.

They should have done a rocky thing where Lashley beats Kofi to death in the ring and we get Xavier doing the rocky montage training thing to get his revenge on Drago/Bobby. They would need Big E to be screaming "Throw in the damn towel".

Its funny in NXT because I look at the guys that really should be moved into the main roster, but they're all undersized quasi cruiser weight guys. They don't except for Kross have that absolute merciless killer that they could call up.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #3275
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even watch Raw anymore, it's not even a consideration... what a boring product. Raw has pretty much lost me for good. How the mighty show has fallen.

Smackdown, NXT and AEW, on the other hand, are entertaining.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #3276
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Smackdown and NXT for me, I tried AEW, I really did, it just hasn't grabbed my attention.

I think in terms of match quality, NXT is just an excellent brand. Plus Cameron Grimes and the Way kill me.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #3277
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question: if I subscribe to the WWE Network would I, essentially, be able to re-watch the Monday Night Wars era? Like, all the Raws, Smackdowns, Nitros, Thunders, etc. plus PPVs?

Old fan looking to re-live the good old days. Thanks in advance.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #3278
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Question: if I subscribe to the WWE Network would I, essentially, be able to re-watch the Monday Night Wars era? Like, all the Raws, Smackdowns, Nitros, Thunders, etc. plus PPVs?

Old fan looking to re-live the good old days. Thanks in advance.

Yeah all the way back to Raw number 1 all the Nitros, thunders Saturday night main events, everything.

There's also the really excellent monday night wars documentary that's really excellent. I watch more vintage WWF stuff then the new stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 12:38 AM   #3279
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah all the way back to Raw number 1 all the Nitros, thunders Saturday night main events, everything.

There's also the really excellent monday night wars documentary that's really excellent. I watch more vintage WWF stuff then the new stuff.
Is there even a usable WWE app on a console at this point? I find I can’t even log into the network in Canada. And I’ma pretty techy person.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:59 AM   #3280
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know, I just personally log in through my browser and one of my video ports on my server links to my TV in my living room so most of my streaming stuff especially with WWE is browser based.

But I don't know if there's a console browser. I wish Shaw would push for a streaming browser for Disney and WWE. It would make sense.