Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #21
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Out of curiousity, I wonder what the insurance cost premiums are for the player to pay with a LTIR, like around 30 million, that s a great retirement payout
I think it would depend on what the risk was at the time of the contract. Some contracts may ne be insurable, or the premiums would be too high. The older the player, the more expensive it is. And pre-exiting conditions are generally not covered. And it would be odd for a contract to be 100% covered.,
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I doubt he is "officially" retiring. The Blackhawks announced he was put on LTIR before his retirement announcement

They still will have to deal with his caphit and pay him. He just won't play a game ever again.

It is LTIRetirement and they will have to use LTIR space to benefit..

Similar to the Hossa situation but Seabrook still has some significant salary and signing bonuses still left to be paid out.
I thought players like this just automatically got traded to Arizona.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #23
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I hate this. This is cap circumvention. If Seabrook cant play, he should retire. he shouldnt get all of the money still while being camped on IR. The hawks need some sort of penalty enforced against this.
Why?

If Seabrook was healthy, he could play.

If Seabrook was healthy, he would play.

The guy has one of the best jobs on earth that he’s done his entire life and he gets paid millions. His legacy is secure.

He wouldn’t just give that up because the team is not ripping off championships anymore. What does that matter to him? He gets to keep his awesome job and make his money.

Except his body won’t let him anymore.

I don’t want to punish teams for signing players. I want teams to be able to move on from players. Player movement and transactions are good for the game. There needs to be a better way for teams and players to divorce, without it becoming this goofy discussion every time a guy north of 35 decides he can’t play in the best league in the world anymore.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #24
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
As for his career, in some ways, Seabrook was slightly disappointing, in that, he was much more hyped coming out of Juniors than most other defenseman that draft. He turned out "very good" instead of the projected "totally dominant.
That was a poorly set expectation for a #13 draft pick. He played 1200 games, won 3 cups and was a clear top pairing guy for that run. He easily exceeded any reasonable expectation. I mean if Duncan Keith is the bar for what you expect from a 2nd round defenseman. You will be disappointed for the rest of your life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #25
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That was a poorly set expectation for a #13 draft pick. He played 1200 games, won 3 cups and was a clear top pairing guy for that run. He easily exceeded any reasonable expectation. I mean if Duncan Keith is the bar for what you expect from a 2nd round defenseman. You will be disappointed for the rest of your life.
In that dark age, for Blackhawk fans, Seabrook was hyped as a one man game changer. I am just commenting to the overhyping of a prospect, something that happens all the time. The initial bar is set so high, that it is nearly impossible to fulfill expectations.

Was Seabrook a excellent defenseman? Yes. But, the hype he arrived with, had him as a slam dunk HOFer in the making. I do not think that he lived up to that hype, nor do I blame him for that hype.

I don't see him as among the all time great NHL defensemen, but, I am fully satisfied with his place in Blackhawk history, and wish him well in his retirement.

Last edited by thefoss1957; 03-05-2021 at 11:48 AM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #26
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In that dark age, for Blackhawk fans, Seabrook was hyped as a one man game changer. I am just commenting to the overhyping of a prospect, something that happens all the time. The initial bar is set so high, that it is nearly impossible to fulfill expectations.

Was Seabrook a excellent defenseman? Yes. But, the hype he arrived with, had him as a slam dunk HOFer in the making. I do not think that he lived up to that hype, nor do I blame him for that hype.

I don't see him as among the all time great NHL defensemen, but, I am fully satisfied with his place in Blackhawk history, and wish him well in his retirement.

If anyone is disappointed in the career of Seabrook, that has to be on them. He is likely a near HOF candidate. He was instrumental in 3 Stanley Cups. He was especially good in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #27
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

He was a rock solid D-man and won 3 cups. Wish him luck in his post-hockey life
Old 03-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #28
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He is likely a near HOF candidate.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Again, by the standards of his draft year hype, that is the reason why a fan might see him as a comparative disappointment (to that hype).

I have said NOTHING to disparage his 'Hawk tenure, just pointed out that his early expectations were never resoundingly met. (that Seabrook was the surefire best D-Man in the draft, and that Keith was the reach)

And, even as a Blackhawk fan, I cannot make a compelling argument that Seabrook is a lock for the HOF.

Last edited by thefoss1957; 03-05-2021 at 02:21 PM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #29
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, by the standards of his draft year hype, that is the reason why a fan might see him as a comparative disappointment (to that hype).

I have said NOTHING to disparage his 'Hawk tenure, just pointed out that his early expectations were never resoundingly met. (that Seabrook was the surefire best D-Man in the draft, and that Keith was the reach)

And, even as a Blackhawk fan, I cannot make a compelling argument that Seabrook is a lock for the HOF.
I don't think anyone suggested he was a lock for the HOF. I said near HOF, which means close but no cigar. But he might sneak in.

Why was there so much hype about a player picked #14, being the 4th dman picked? It seems unreasonable for someone to suggest he was the best dman in the draft. He ended up being easily the 2nd best dman picked in the first round (I'd rate Ryan Suter ahead of him) and interestingly Shea Weber went in the 2nd round that year (who would be ranked #1).
Old 03-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #30
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, Seabrook is a member of the triple gold club (WJC, Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold) AND has three Stanley Cups.

So, he's someone that the Hall might throw in if there's a weak crop just because he's had a lot of success in the NHL and internationally.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #31
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has had a great career. The last few years have been rough, but he was an instrumental part in the Blackhawks success over the last decade.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #32
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cobra...the hype in the early 2000s was from a franchise that had little going for it, and an unpopular ownership, so they marketed the hell out of every 1st round pick. Tuomo Ruutu was pushed to Blackhawk fans, as "the best player in Europe" that was to come over and light it up, Yakubov and Vorobiev were to be 2/3s of a line for the decade, Babchuk and Barker we to round out a defense of the future. Even Mark Bell was supposed to be the long term leader that was to lead the team back to relevance. The Blackhawk hype machine was in overdrive, up to the lockout, to sell those draft picks to sell seats in a half empty arena.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #33
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I don't think anyone suggested he was a lock for the HOF. I said near HOF, which means close but no cigar. But he might sneak in.

Why was there so much hype about a player picked #14, being the 4th dman picked? It seems unreasonable for someone to suggest he was the best dman in the draft. He ended up being easily the 2nd best dman picked in the first round (I'd rate Ryan Suter ahead of him) and interestingly Shea Weber went in the 2nd round that year (who would be ranked #1).
He was certainly better than Lowe.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:50 PM   #34
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

He and a few other Hurricanes skated with my class when I was in grade 2, I thought it was neat at the time, just being these big strong hockey guys and I distinctly remember Seabrook, but being so young it never registered what an excellent player he really was, and then to go on to eventually have the career he did; 3 cups, Olympic gold, two WJC golds, it's a pretty special memory. Still have his signature on a little Canes flag.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #35
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am fine with this, nothing wrong here. This is not the Hossa saga.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote