Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #101
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Maybe an odd request but I really like history podcasts ala The History of Rome/Revolutions and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good podcasts about the history of France or the Holy Roman Empire/Habsburg Dynasty?
The Agora Network has a bunch. France, Germany, Papacy, Reformation etc...

https://www.agorapodcastnetwork.com/

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #102
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Use the search bar in an App like Stitcher, and you should get many hits.

I see one called The History of Rome (192 episodes)
The History of Byzantium (277 episodes)
The French History Podcast (81)
Oh I do... (I've listened and re-listened to The History of Rome several times... it's my all-time favorite podcast) I just haven't found any to my liking that cover the Habsburg era of the Holy Roman Empire or that offer a narrative history of France. I was hoping that maybe someone knew of one that my search terms wasn't picking up. I'll give The French History Podcast a listen but from the episode description it sounds like it bounces around a lot which isn't my preferred format but beggers can't be choosers. Looking for something that covers the Merovingion era through to the end of the Bourbon era.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #103
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I do... (I've listened and re-listened to The History of Rome several times... it's my all-time favorite podcast) I just haven't found any to my liking that cover the Habsburg era of the Holy Roman Empire or that offer a narrative history of France. I was hoping that maybe someone knew of one that my search terms wasn't picking up. I'll give The French History Podcast a listen but from the episode description it sounds like it bounces around a lot which isn't my preferred format but beggers can't be choosers. Looking for something that covers the Merovingion era through to the end of the Bourbon era.
That's very specific and unfortunately not an area with huge interest. If you understand French, I suspect you would have much better luck. I really enjoy Hardcore History, but I think that is mostly ancient or WWII, aside from the Wrath of Khans or short special topics...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #104
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe an odd request but I really like history podcasts ala The History of Rome/Revolutions and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good podcasts about the history of France or the Holy Roman Empire/Habsburg Dynasty?
Tides of History has a series on rise of the modern world is probably the time frame you are looking at, lots of focus on continental Europe ~1150 - 1450 ish. They have an earlier series on the collapse of Rome, and are working pre-history archeology right now. I think French history or Holy Roman history can be confusing frames, because prior to 1450 there is some much overlap and bleeding into each other that the histories of continental European nation states don't stand alone.

Not 100% fitting your request:

I would really recommend The British History podcast, if that is your interest, it is a fine grained comb but I enjoy it, after 363 episodes he's just getting into the Normand years.

History of the Crusades does dip it's toe into the some good stuff about France, but her voice isn't the best to listen to, she is the one who got me starting to listen to podcasts at higher speeds.

The History of English is almost finished the integration of Normand French into the English language, so the past year has looked at French history a little bit.

Last edited by #-3; 01-27-2021 at 07:16 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:08 PM   #105
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Tides of History has a series on rise of the modern world is probably the time frame you are looking at, lots of focus on continental Europe ~1150 - 1450 ish. They have an earlier series on the collapse of Rome, and are working pre-history archeology right now. I think French history or Holy Roman history can be confusing frames, because prior to 1450 there is some much overlap and bleeding into each other that the histories of continental European nation states don't stand alone.

Not 100% fitting your request:

I would really recommend The British History podcast, if that is your interest, it is a fine grained comb but I enjoy it, after 363 episodes he's just getting into the Normand years.

History of the Crusades does dip it's toe into the some good stuff about France, but her voice isn't the best to listen to, she is the one who got me starting to listen to podcasts at higher speeds.

The History of English is almost finished the integration of Normand French into the English language, so the past year has looked at French history a little bit.
LOL. Except for the last one I've listened to all of those. Albeit I dropped The British History Podcast a ways back. Maybe I'll give it a look again.

I disagree about Sharyn's voice. I think it's fine... but I love Australian accents. Don't know if you know but she's got a new podcast out called Reconquista about... well about the Reconquista.

Hat tip to indes… I checked out Heist Podcast and I absolutely love it.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 01-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #106
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Podcasts are based on personal taste. I like true crime, WWII history, other history, and the natural sciences. Let me know any recommendations on those topics.

I listened to one the other day as I was out walking about the Halifax explosion during WWI and the three presenters were discussing why Canada was even in the war. That was annoying but I got angry when one said: we followed America was into WWI like we follow them everywhere including WWII. Fact is, we were in both wars well before the U.S. entered. It was an ignorant comment and I felt if they’re going to delve into history they should get their facts straight.
I really enjoy https://ourfakehistory.com/ a canadian guy and a really enjoyable take on some common and uncommon historical events. (despite the title, this is a skeptical/evidence-based look on the past)

For true crime, i've enjoyed true-crime bulls### (https://www.our-americana.com/tcb) which is a super in-depth look at Israel Keyes's crimes. Nancy Hixt's CrimeBeat https://curiouscast.ca/podcast/398/crime-beat/ is also very good and has additional interest for locals as it deals mainly with YYC based crime and cases. https://darkpoutine.com/ is canadian based true crime and also worth a listen if you like this kind of stuff.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/uncover Is a good investigative journalism series as well. Reminds me a bit of Serial.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #107
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. Except for the last one I've listened to all of those. Albeit I dropped The British History Podcast a ways back. Maybe I'll give it a look again.

I disagree about Sharyn's voice. I think it's fine... but I love Australian accents. Don't know if you know but she's got a new podcast out called Reconquista about... well about the Reconquista.

Hat tip to indes… I checked out Heist Podcast and I absolutely love it.
Thanks,

Let me know what you find, within the context of your request a few eras I wouldn't mind finding something good on:

The Frankish Court Pepin / Charlamagne / Charles the Bald...
The late French court (~Louis' XIV - XVI)
The Age of Exploration Columbus/Magellan/Hudson/Champlain/Cabot...

I think if you add Mike Duncan to my recommendations, those are the biggest gaps left in Western European history.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #108
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Damn, Norm was supposed to restart his Norm Macdonald Live podcast this past fall. I just remembered that today and now realized that's either really pushed back due to Covid or not happening.

Hoping it's just pushed back.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #109
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen have an 8 episode podcast that came out today. First 2 episodes are on Spotify and it’s an awesome show. Absolutely love their takes on the racial issues that have plagued this country forever. They make an excellent team and it’s a great listen - it’s called Renegades - Born in the USA
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #110
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I haven't laughed out loud at any Podcast as much as I have with Smartless. Holy crap those three are brilliant!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #111
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

This week's Working it Out with Mike Birbiglia is awesome. His guest is Taylor Tomlinson and their dive into writing jokes, their process, jokes they've written, how and why is fantastic.

It's an amazing peak behind the curtain from two very talented comedians.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #112
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Damien had Bill Hader on Turned Out A Punk recently. They geeked out over music, movies, and Canadian sketch comedy for almost two and a half hours. Bill also had some funny stories from SNL and Barry. Great ep.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7798952-...e-of-meatballs
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #113
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Damien had Bill Hader on Turned Out A Punk recently. They geeked out over music, movies, and Canadian sketch comedy for almost two and a half hours. Bill also had some funny stories from SNL and Barry. Great ep.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7798952-...e-of-meatballs
Cool, they did an episode with Vanessa Briscoe Hay, from legendary Athens band Pylon. Billy Bragg, Bob Mould, Butch Vig, Mark Arm, Bethany Cosentino.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #114
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Cool, they did an episode with Vanessa Briscoe Hay, from legendary Athens band Pylon.
Michael Lachowski as well. The box set they put out is really good.

Quote:
Billy Bragg, Bob Mould, Butch Vig, Mark Arm, Bethany Cosentino.
Yeah, lots of great guests recently. Fred Schneider and Penelope Spheeris we fun too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #115
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Has anyone been listening to "The Line"? It is just fantastic.

https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/originals/the-line/

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #116
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Has anyone been listening to "The Line"? It is just fantastic.

https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/originals/the-line/

I'll have to check that out. I enjoyed one of the other series the producer did, "Running From Cops".
Old 04-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #117
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I'll have to check that out. I enjoyed one of the other series the producer did, "Running From Cops".
Yeah, "Running from Cops" was great. Dan Tyberski has two more podcasts that I really like: "Missing Richard Simmons," and "Surviving Y2K."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #118
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For casual listening I really enjoy the Covino and Rich show. Formerly on Sirius XM they recently switched to a podcast.

They do a live daily show on Patreon the cost for that is $7/month CAD. But they also release a best of the week podcast that is available on other platforms, I think every Friday.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #119
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For a good comedy podcast, Flagrant 2 with Andrew Schulz and Akaash Singh. They are a hilarious duo.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #120
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Synodus Horrenda is a good time podcast that about death. Deaths that led to social change, unsolved deaths, etc. I enjoy it. “Stories from history and art that explore how death influences society and culture”.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote