Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #61
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it says that somewhere, but it wasn't obvious to me when I bought it on my phone. Whatever, it was still easily worth an audible credit. I just would have waited to start it if I'd known about that.

Also, I don't think it's something that makes sense to listen to unless you've already gone through the whole series at least once in hard copy. I've read it three times and this is a good way to get a new experience of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #62
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I remember reading that Shogun is the longest title on Audible. The longest I've listened to is 34 hours , but that one is way longer. How far in are you now?
So sorry I missed this - I'm almost 25 hours into a 53 hour 'book' and it's been amazing. Keeping track of the names is the hardest part for most North American readers I think. John Smith makes it easy to remember who and what he is. Ishida, Fujiko and Mariko is tougher when it's being read to you.

Last edited by Coys1882; 01-10-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #63
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The last book in the Stormlight Archive, Rhythm of War, was pretty good, though I think it could have shortened some of the later chapters and expanded the very end of the book.

Then I tried to listen to Ready Player Two.. it's terrible. I usually listen to even bad books just to find out what happens but I think I'll take a break from this one, it's really terrible.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #64
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little bit of a morbid listen, but if you find forensic pathology fascinating like I do, you'll really enjoy Unnatural Causes by Dr. Richard Shepherd. Dr. Shepherd is a high profile forensic pathologist in the UK, and has performed autopsies for some really interesting cases. The book is about those cases, his climb to get to where he is, his life and how his work has affected his life and mental health. He narrates his book himself, and I found him incredibly earnest and his voice is easy to listen to. Absolutely recommend this one.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #65
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you have an Audible subscription, The Hobbit is free for the month.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #66
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They've announced Act II of The Sandman will be out on Sept 22. The cast is incredible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRoE2GCKouC

https://variety.com/2021/digital/new...st-1235024922/

Quote:
The ensemble cast will be led by McAvoy, reprising the title role of Dream (aka Morpheus), with Kat Dennings (as Death), Michael Sheen (Lucifer) and Andy Serkis (Matthew the Raven) reprising their respective roles.

New and returning cast members for season 2 include Jeffrey Wright (Destiny), Regé-Jean Page (Orpheus), Brian Cox (Augustus), Emma Corrin (Thessaly), John Lithgow (Emperor Joshua Norton), David Tennant (Loki), Bill Nighy (Odin), Kristen Schaal (Delirium), Kevin Smith (Merv Pumpkinhead), Bebe Neuwirth (Bast), Miriam Margolyes (Despair), Joanna Lumley (Lady Johanna Constantine), Niamh Walsh (Nuala) and Arthur Darvill (William Shakespeare).
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #67
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the 20th anniversary of 9/11 coming up, I downloaded a booked called The Day the World Came to Town by Jim Defede from Audible. It's about Gander, Newfoundland, the part that they played on September 11, 2001 and in the days and weeks after. It's narrated by Ray Porter, he really nails it and delivers the story in more of a conversational and light hearted tone. It's such a wonderful book, I guarantee that you'll laugh and cry. Highly, highly recommend this one.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote