Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #3841
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
San Francisco is generally not very warm.
Fixed your post. I love SF, but it isn't a hot destination.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #3842
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I was super sick when I was in San Diego (unrelated to the trip, went down hacking and coughing).

Exploring the Gaslamp District was fun, walked around the convention centre (didn't go in), took a tour of PetCo Park, went to the zoo, enjoyed some beer at Stone Brewing, explored the USS Midway aircraft carrier. Strolled around Little Italy, and it's on my list to do again.

Also the song from the Visit San Diego commercial is catchy... mmm I love that summer feeling, now I'm here I'm never leaving...

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #3843
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Passport question - if you have a long middle name or a first name that can be shortened, can you put that on your passport instead of your full legal name? For example, if the combination of letters puts it over most airlines character limits, could the next time you apply for you passport change a first name like Michael to Mike or Alexander to Alex or just not add middle names - or does the name in your passport have to be what’s on the birth certificate kind of thing? I am finding that this is becoming kind of a source of irritation when booking travel and stuff because our kids’ names are kind of on long side.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3844
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went San Diego last March. The weather was around 20c. The area is beautiful. I especially like Torrey Pines state reserve (not the golf course) The hiking trails and views of the beach and ocean were great. Del Mar was also really nice. Carbrillo national monument had great views.

If I went back i'd try to drive up the coast a lot more.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #3845
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’ve been to San Diego and the area quite a few times. Just went again for New Years. Let me know if you have any questions.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #3846
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Passport question - if you have a long middle name or a first name that can be shortened, can you put that on your passport instead of your full legal name? For example, if the combination of letters puts it over most airlines character limits, could the next time you apply for you passport change a first name like Michael to Mike or Alexander to Alex or just not add middle names - or does the name in your passport have to be what’s on the birth certificate kind of thing? I am finding that this is becoming kind of a source of irritation when booking travel and stuff because our kids’ names are kind of on long side.
My passport doesn't have my middle name on it. I've never once booked a flight with my middle name, and I've never had a single issue.

From a few lengthy discussions I've seen about this in my Facebook groups, a lack of a given legal middle name on the passport does not seem to cause any issue for anyone, anywhere.

The TSA stance is that they want to see your first and last name on your boarding pass match exactly what is shown on your passport.

If your passport has a middle name, your boarding pass probably should as well, but they will also accept your boarding pass having just the first character of your middle name.

So if it were me, I would omit the middle name from the passport, and not use a middle name when making the booking. Hopefully that reduces the number of characters enough for your children's names.

And of course always make sure the first and last name from the passport are exactly the same as your booking.

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 01-03-2019 at 02:06 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #3847
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

There are acceptable abbreviations on tickets. I have had a check in agent look it up when I checked in a few times. My legal name is Matthew, and several times I have booked as Matt for US destinations. The odd time the check in girl has said something, but it doesn't happen that often. I believe it is up to the airline to use their discretion (although not positive). In today's day and age though I would just use your full name as seen on your passport to avoid the hassle.

I also do not have my middle name on my passport, and I travel to the US a lot. Never had an issue, and I've never been questioned on it.

One of my kids doesn't even HAVE a middle name (we never gave her one) and my other 2 kids DO have middle names. Not once has it ever been a problem when we all cross.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #3848
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
There are acceptable abbreviations on tickets. I have had a check in agent look it up when I checked in a few times. My legal name is Matthew, and several times I have booked as Matt for US destinations. The odd time the check in girl has said something, but it doesn't happen that often. I believe it is up to the airline to use their discretion (although not positive). In today's day and age though I would just use your full name as seen on your passport to avoid the hassle.

I also do not have my middle name on my passport, and I travel to the US a lot. Never had an issue, and I've never been questioned on it.

One of my kids doesn't even HAVE a middle name (we never gave her one) and my other 2 kids DO have middle names. Not once has it ever been a problem when we all cross.
It can only be a problem if its on your Passport and not on your tickets, or vice versa.

I wouldn't ever book a ticket without my middle name on it as my passport has it and I have seen what happens if you run into a gate agent that wants to enforce the rules.

Last edited by Weitz; 01-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #3849
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had minor issues with an airline ticket having my middle name and my passport not having it. Typically problems with self check-in (either online or the kiosk) and I end up going to the counter to have it corrected.

Oddly enough when we went to Tokyo I had no problem leaving Calgary, but when I went to check in for our return flight they had to issue me a new ticket so my passport & my ticket matched. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #3850
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if it doesn't cause too much of a hassle, I will shorten their names on their passports when its time to renew again in a few years.

If I had Twitter or some social media outlet, I would have called out Flighthub for letting me think I entered in my son's name wrong and then charged me the change fee for "correcting" it, and then having the same thing happen.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #3851
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I was super sick when I was in San Diego (unrelated to the trip, went down hacking and coughing).

Exploring the Gaslamp District was fun, walked around the convention centre (didn't go in), took a tour of PetCo Park, went to the zoo, enjoyed some beer at Stone Brewing, explored the USS Midway aircraft carrier. Strolled around Little Italy, and it's on my list to do again.

Also the song from the Visit San Diego commercial is catchy... mmm I love that summer feeling, now I'm here I'm never leaving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I went San Diego last March. The weather was around 20c. The area is beautiful. I especially like Torrey Pines state reserve (not the golf course) The hiking trails and views of the beach and ocean were great. Del Mar was also really nice. Carbrillo national monument had great views.

If I went back i'd try to drive up the coast a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I’ve been to San Diego and the area quite a few times. Just went again for New Years. Let me know if you have any questions.
San Diego looks to have no shortage of variety of things to do from nature (del Mar and Torey Pines national park), sights (La Jolla cove, sunset cliffs natural park), districts (Gaslamp Quarters, Little Italy) and more traditional attractions like SeaWorld, Zoo and the monument.

Wonder if there's anything else that you guys found that you particularly enjoyed that might not be obvious to a first time visitor. I think we may also plan to go to Disneyland after 3-4 days in San Diego to finish off our trip.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #3852
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I've only been there the once.

Locals said the taco truck by the boarder, which you apparently can take the tram to. Due to the illness and time restraints I never made it.

Otherwise, I just loved the early morning walk around town.

FYI there is a lot of homeless.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #3853
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
San Diego looks to have no shortage of variety of things to do from nature (del Mar and Torey Pines national park), sights (La Jolla cove, sunset cliffs natural park), districts (Gaslamp Quarters, Little Italy) and more traditional attractions like SeaWorld, Zoo and the monument.

Wonder if there's anything else that you guys found that you particularly enjoyed that might not be obvious to a first time visitor. I think we may also plan to go to Disneyland after 3-4 days in San Diego to finish off our trip.
The hop on, hop off trolley isn't exactly a secret, but I'd recommend it. Easiest way to see the city.

Also La Puerta in The Gaslamp district (Mexican food) is one of only two perfect meals I've ever had in my life. The other was Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Kansas City.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 01-05-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #3854
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

How clean are the beaches in San Diego?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #3855
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
How clean are the beaches in San Diego?
All those I’ve seen are really nice. It’s a beautiful city.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #3856
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beaches in Coronado are extremely clean, water is chilly though.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #3857
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a question for anyone who may have missed a flight on purpose.

Me and 9 others are heading down to Orlando for a week and we've already booked our flights. We booked westjet as we got to use the companion voucher with my MC. However I now have the opportunity to go back to the Myrtle Beach World Am the following week (didn't think the guys were gonna go this year, so we booked the MCO trip)

Can I just not check-in and not get on the flight home from MCO to YYC while the rest of the reservation does? I cannot change just me on the reservation as we lose the companion voucher deal.

I was just thinking about taking a flight to Myrtle from MCO and then getting a one way ticket from MYR to YYC.

I just don't want to leave the other passengers paying for anything when they go to come back from Orlando.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #3858
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Return segment and you are not getting off part way home (hidden city) so I don't see what the issue would be. All you would be out is your fare if I understand correctly.

But I do not know that for a fact.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #3859
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Return segment and you are not getting off part way home (hidden city) so I don't see what the issue would be. All you would be out is your fare if I understand correctly.

But I do not know that for a fact.

Ya that’s what I’m thinking too, just that companion fare might through a wrench in the mix. Gonna try it and see as to change just me on the flight would end up costing more than booking a one way from MCO and another one way from MYR.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #3860
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Beaches in Coronado are extremely clean, water is chilly though.
This. California beaches are beautiful and sunny but better for surfing, volleyball etc. than swimming. East coast or Gulf of Mexico has the warm water.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote