Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #3521
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

its likely been posted on here, but is the Canada Golf Card a good deal. Is there ever an issue with using it. seems like it pays off in a couple of rounds.
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #3522
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I parred the back nine at Marine Drive today. I bogeyed 10 and 17 (both par 4s) and birdied 12 (par 5) and 16 (par 3). It's only the second time I've ever parred a front or back nine, but my first at Marine. It's my first 35 on a front or back nine. I had 14 putts on the back nine. Two one putts on the birdies, one for a par when I missed the green by about three feet, and the other on the bogey on 17. After not golfing at all until August, I've played 15 rounds in the last 7 weeks. Round 16 will be tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #3523
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cabot (Revelstoke) Pacific announced

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cab...c-announcement

Don't care for the Pacific name, but whatever. The more courses these guys are involved with the better.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #3524
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that will add to revy for sure; however, what are the odds this gets done without being blockaded and protested to the point where the developer gives up
Old 11-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #3525
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ that will add to revy for sure; however, what are the odds this gets done without being blockaded and protested to the point where the developer gives up

I suppose it's a worry, but Keiser doesn't seem to get involved with something unless stuff is ready to go.

That said, the site has been earmarked for a golf course at the resort since at least 2003. Plus as far back as 2008, a Nick Faldo designed course on the same site was set to break ground 'the next year and open in 2011.' The financial crisis would have killed that one.

Cost will probably come into it as much as anything. The other Cabot and Bandon courses were very cheap projects in terms of new builds. As is the advantage of having a good site. But the side of the mountain isn't really a construction friendly site, which will drive the price up, making it a more expensive course with a shorter season than their other projects. Those rooms being full for the ski season would be what makes or breaks the project I feel.

But Cowan-Dewar might have quite the little empire for himself if it does go through. Spend the spring and fall on Cape Breton gladhanding with the northeastern elite that go up to golf, the winter in St. Lucia, summer in Revelstoke (with a winter ski vacation 'to check up on things'). Not too bad at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #3526
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone have a backyard putting green? Recommendations on who to install it? Whats maintenance like for them?
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #3527
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
Anyone have a backyard putting green? Recommendations on who to install it? Whats maintenance like for them?

Are you thinking of artificial or real?
Old 11-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #3528
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Are you thinking of artificial or real?
Artificial, I was thinking I wanted real grass surrounding so I can chip off of that.
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #3529
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if somehting that needs to be as precise as a putting green would survive the winter in Calgary.

You can check out Celebrity Greens and see if they have installed something in a northern climate.

I have a Big Moss for my basement. It rolls pretty nice and has these foam snakes to put underneath to change up the break.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #3530
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ordering some golf swag for xmas?

I know I've asked Santa for an evn roll putter, but I'm concerned about stock levels and delivery at this point. Bit the bullet and ordered a fresh batch of ammunition from Snell as well, 6 dozen new balls, for under $250. Should last me a few months.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #3531
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone been to the golf dome at Fox Hollow? Do you have to wear a mask hitting balls?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #3532
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Got some good news from my golf course in Nanton. The revenues as expected were way up and the rounds played rose from around 20,000 the year previous to 30,000 plus this past summer. We acquired 65 new members in the process also. The course was able to generate a significant revenue increase for 2020 in two key areas. Our annual memberships exceeded our budgeted target by over 100%, and we also exceeded our budgeted revenues for Green Fees by 100%.

Another great measure of the clubs’ financial performance was the ability of the management and staff to operate within the established budget that was formed at the beginning of 2020. When we entered the 2020 season, the club was not in an enviable financial position. The course was operating on a restricted budget, and there was a modest profit projected. Although the club saw a two fold increase in the amount of rounds played, the staff was able to operate the club at the established budget which netted a substantial profit, and improved our cash position. The outstanding season we enjoyed will allow the club a certain amount of flexibility to pursue some priorities that we may not have had the opportunity to otherwise pursue.

Finally our dues didn't go up still making it an affordable place to play golf.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #3533
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone been to the golf dome at Fox Hollow? Do you have to wear a mask hitting balls?
not sure about that, but with this nice weather, the outdoor range at Glenmore and Deerfoot has been updated with the new owners and they have done a pretty good job.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #3534
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Got some good news from my golf course in Nanton. The revenues as expected were way up and the rounds played rose from around 20,000 the year previous to 30,000 plus this past summer. We acquired 65 new members in the process also. The course was able to generate a significant revenue increase for 2020 in two key areas. Our annual memberships exceeded our budgeted target by over 100%, and we also exceeded our budgeted revenues for Green Fees by 100%.

Another great measure of the clubs’ financial performance was the ability of the management and staff to operate within the established budget that was formed at the beginning of 2020. When we entered the 2020 season, the club was not in an enviable financial position. The course was operating on a restricted budget, and there was a modest profit projected. Although the club saw a two fold increase in the amount of rounds played, the staff was able to operate the club at the established budget which netted a substantial profit, and improved our cash position. The outstanding season we enjoyed will allow the club a certain amount of flexibility to pursue some priorities that we may not have had the opportunity to otherwise pursue.

Finally our dues didn't go up still making it an affordable place to play golf.

i seem to have a mental block on the front 9 at nanton and hit a lot of trees. Nice course though, good to see it is doing well.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #3535
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a nice positive Dion. One thing we kept hearing this year was the hit courses were taking by losing out on tournament revenue. I assume Nanton was no different. Any insight as to how the lost revenue from tournaments compared to the increases you point out above? What was the net change in overall revenue this year compared to a 'normal' year?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #3536
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
not sure about that, but with this nice weather, the outdoor range at Glenmore and Deerfoot has been updated with the new owners and they have done a pretty good job.
I've hit balls there a couple times (going through withdrawals here!), and my only complaint is that the balls are rock hard. Like literally, my hands have hurt when I make contact on some shots! But, it's decent.

I bought a new putter and it's on route. I realised that mine had a dead spot at the end of the season, so I took the plunge on Black Friday. I wish I could actually find a way to play, because otherwise I'm going to be putting in the basement for the next 4-5 months.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #3537
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was surprised to hear xfactor in the NW is still open. Not sure what restrictions are in place, but a friend of mine mentioned the other day he playing there regularly.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #3538
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If it like any other indoor sports that are currently allowed, then you would be expected to wear a mask entering the building and purchasing your range balls, but when you are actually hitting the balls I doubt they will require a face mask.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #3539
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If it like any other indoor sports that are currently allowed, then you would be expected to wear a mask entering the building and purchasing your range balls, but when you are actually hitting the balls I doubt they will require a face mask.
I got an email from the SW golf dome saying they require masking at all times. But I haven’t been there to see if it is enforced, haven’t been to the Fox Hollow dome either
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #3540
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's a nice positive Dion. One thing we kept hearing this year was the hit courses were taking by losing out on tournament revenue. I assume Nanton was no different. Any insight as to how the lost revenue from tournaments compared to the increases you point out above? What was the net change in overall revenue this year compared to a 'normal' year?
We weren't given exact figures but the increased numbers in green fee players more than made up for the loss of tournament's. They buy balls and tees from the pro shop and food and alcohol on the course or in the clubhouse.

Quite often the course has been empty in the afternoons from around 1 to 4pm in years past but that changed this past summer. The daily tee sheets were over 90% full each day with golfers being turned away because they couldn't get the times they wanted.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow