Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #2141
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

What does "PS5 releases on PC day and date" mean?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:42 AM   #2142
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What does "PS5 releases on PC day and date" mean?
It’s in reference to game produced by Sony(God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, etc) that are exclusive to PlayStation coming out on PC. They used to never come to PC, recently they’ve been putting out PC ports anywhere from 6-18 months after the exclusive PlayStation release. “Day and date” means releasing on PlayStation and PC on the same day - Helldivers 2 is the first to do this.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 12:17 PM   #2143
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Helldivers 2 is a surprise hit, but Sony has been pretty up front about a desire to bet on live service games. There are still 8-10 games in Sony's live service pipeline with Marathon and Concorde coming up to bat.

the cancellation of LoU: Factions put a bit hole in 2024 for Sony... Helldivers might be able to help the financials. Personally, I would make Helldivers full mutilplat. If Sony wants a 'true' Fortenight, it needs to be everywhere.

As for Sony going day and date, I think that only happens with their live service offerings.

As long as Sony is in the hardware business, they need to keep their first party exclusives on Playstation for at least a year or two.

the bigger question is the cost of game development. They need to ramp down the scale of AAA games to reduce development cost in spin up release schedules. 1 game from Naughty Dog during the entirety of PS5 is a non starter...same with Santa Monica and Guerilla.

Personally, I loved the LoU2, but it didn't need to be 25 hours...they could have lopped off 5 hours and had a tighter game which could have reduced development time and cost.

Game markets have flatlined a little bit and AAA game development and cost is at a major crossroad IMO
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:49 PM   #2144
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Helldivers 2 is a surprise hit, but Sony has been pretty up front about a desire to bet on live service games. There are still 8-10 games in Sony's live service pipeline with Marathon and Concorde coming up to bat.

the cancellation of LoU: Factions put a bit hole in 2024 for Sony... Helldivers might be able to help the financials. Personally, I would make Helldivers full mutilplat. If Sony wants a 'true' Fortenight, it needs to be everywhere.

As for Sony going day and date, I think that only happens with their live service offerings.

As long as Sony is in the hardware business, they need to keep their first party exclusives on Playstation for at least a year or two

the bigger question is the cost of game development. They need to ramp down the scale of AAA games to reduce development cost in spin up release schedules. 1 game from Naughty Dog during the entirety of PS5 is a non starter...same with Santa Monica and Guerilla.

Personally, I loved the LoU2, but it didn't need to be 25 hours...they could have lopped off 5 hours and had a tighter game which could have reduced development time and cost.

Game markets have flatlined a little bit and AAA game development and cost is at a major crossroad IMO
Except the new COO needs to deliver higher profit margins and specifically stated that they need to find more ways to get their games in more hands by exploring more platforms. Hell Divers 2 is just going to make it easier for him to convince shareholders that PC day and date will put more money in their pockets all while still far outselling consoles.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-24-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Since1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:20 AM   #2145
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Except the new COO needs to deliver higher profit margins and specifically stated that they need to find more ways to get their games in more hands by exploring more platforms. Hell Divers 2 is just going to make it easier for him to convince shareholders that PC day and date will put more money in their pockets all while still far outselling consoles.
What's the motivation for people to buy a PS5 Pro or a PS 5 Handheld and then a PS 6 if they go day and date on PC? There's a lot of people who have computers, but buy playstation consoles for the exclusives.

That's the self canabilization of their own market that will hurt their hardware sales

Live services will go day and date for sure. First party triple A games will always be Sony Console exclusives - that window might shrink to a year, but I don't think triple A games will go date and date unless they were franchises that were previously multiplat like a Destiny...

In the end, we'll just have to wait and see what they do in the next few years.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:33 PM   #2146
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
What's the motivation for people to buy a PS5 Pro or a PS 5 Handheld and then a PS 6 if they go day and date on PC? There's a lot of people who have computers, but buy playstation consoles for the exclusives.

That's the self canabilization of their own market that will hurt their hardware sales

Live services will go day and date for sure. First party triple A games will always be Sony Console exclusives - that window might shrink to a year, but I don't think triple A games will go date and date unless they were franchises that were previously multiplat like a Destiny...

In the end, we'll just have to wait and see what they do in the next few years.
The main reason this is feasible is consoles are able to deliver performance that PC's for the same price cannot. The main player base has always been non PC, players that can't justify spending double the price on a PC.

Even if you end up losing some console sales, you make up so much in opening those games up to a larger audience. It would be interesting to see the numbers for sales for PS5 vs PC on HellDivers 2.

All I can see is that at the minimum, around 405k copies were sold on steam based on peak concurrent player count. So actual sales is somewhere much higher than that. Even if half the players that bought it on PC had PS5's. Sony gains at least 200k additional sales on a game.

That's a ton of money the studio and Sony would never see if not released on PC day and date.

Like you said, we will have to wait and see. My bet is on Sony releasing day and date to PC sooner rather than later.
Since1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:16 PM   #2147
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think moving to day and date will kill a console, eventually. Microsoft started much earlier and can’t give away an Xbox anymore, Sony missed their projections last year. Nintendo is the only one selling as many consoles as they want to with a 7 year old platform because of… exclusives.

The money gained from PC sales is small potatoes compared to getting someone in to your ecosystem and buying everything from your online store, accessories, subscriptions, etc.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:22 PM   #2148
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switch 2 delayed to March 2025?

Noooooooo!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:39 PM   #2149
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 02-26-2024, 03:38 PM   #2150
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Switch 2 delayed to March 2025?

Noooooooo!
8 years between consoles...yeesh.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:23 PM   #2151
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
8 years between consoles...yeesh.
When you're not on the cutting edge of technology to start with, and use exclusives and games to sell consoles instead of console features, then you seem to be able to have longer console lifecycles.

As somebody who has a Switch I feel like this release is probably 1 year to 18 months late...but I also had mine since launch day so it's been a longer lifecycle for me than most.

Feels like with their console sales, and software attach remaining so strong throughout 2022 there was no real pressure.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote