Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #61
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If in the extreme longshot miracle we actually got something like this, where would it go? They most definitely would not be downtown, doesn't make a ton of sense to congest in a dense area. . . . As someone else said, they would likely want a "campus" style HQ, which I believe would be best suited around the Airport, especially if they want to keep transportation logistics close to the chest. Then again, this is the kind of development that should be used as a catalyst for a developing power center.

Personally, I would like to see something like this open around the Currie Barracks as I believe the intention for that area is to turn it into a power center - and the ATCO and MRU campuses are already there. Transportation would be a bit tricky, but with the southwest ring road opening up it's not too far from major roadways.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #62
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I think Nenshi mentioned it in his video clip that Amazon mentioned they would consider a downtown option. I could be mistaken though.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #63
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If in the extreme longshot miracle we actually got something like this, where would it go? They most definitely would not be downtown, doesn't make a ton of sense to congest in a dense area. . . . As someone else said, they would likely want a "campus" style HQ, which I believe would be best suited around the Airport, especially if they want to keep transportation logistics close to the chest. Then again, this is the kind of development that should be used as a catalyst for a developing power center.

Personally, I would like to see something like this open around the Currie Barracks as I believe the intention for that area is to turn it into a power center - and the ATCO and MRU campuses are already there. Transportation would be a bit tricky, but with the southwest ring road opening up it's not too far from major roadways.
My bet would be on the north around Deerfoot/Stoney or CrossIron Mills. Lots of land and infrastructure up there. Large amount of residential development happening as well with relatively affordable homes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #64
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My bet would be on the north around Deerfoot/Stoney or CrossIron Mills. Lots of land and infrastructure up there. Large amount of residential development happening as well with relatively affordable homes.
One look at Airdrie and they would head for the hills!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #65
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

It may seem like a foregone conclusion that they want a geographically eastern HQ, but I don't think that is a major factor in the consideration. Given technology etc., proximity (or lack there of) isn't as big of an issue for a tech company.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #66
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It may seem like a foregone conclusion that they want a geographically eastern HQ, but I don't think that is a major factor in the consideration. Given technology etc., proximity (or lack there of) isn't as big of an issue for a tech company.
Good flight access is probably more important. We have access to basically all major US hubs, and it would improve if Amazon showed up.

The big downside for Calgary is probably the fact we're in Canada, moreso than anything else.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #67
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary and Alberta want to diversify away from oil and gas this would be amazing for jobs and diversifying our economy. A lot that Calgary can offer and checks a lot of Amazon's criteria.

If not 2nd HQ, Calgary should push for a field office, prairie regional headquarter, western canada regional headquarter or Canada head office.

NDP had been pushing diversifying our economy with not much success, this would be a good chance for them to walk the walk going into 2019 election.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #68
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love that the City is pursuing this.

Hell, since CalgaryNEXT is likely dead in the West Village location.... give that area to Amazon. Be bold about it in the proposal and give them a dedicated, single space right downtown. Train access, river access, airport access, cultural access... it's perfect.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #69
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
The issue is the time difference, you want your staff awake and dealing with customer service calls at 8am eastern time, that's 4 or 5am out here, not everyone wants to go to work at 5am in Calgary in January.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #70
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The issue is the time difference, you want your staff awake and dealing with customer service calls at 8am eastern time, that's 4 or 5am out here, not everyone wants to go to work at 5am in Calgary in January.
Since when is 8am eastern 4or5am in Calgary? and you know that Seattle is on pacific time right?haha
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #71
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Since when is 8am eastern 4or5am in Calgary? and you know that Seattle is on pacific time right?haha
Sorry 6am, always think of Halifax as my kids out there
Old 09-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #72
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
That's kind of my point, you divide the US in two, an east coast center handles everything east, Seattle handles everything Mountain time and west, an East coast office allows easier communication and travel with Europe as well.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #73
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I have been hoping there would be a Gigafactory opportunity for Calgary given the landscape to the east, skilled available workforce, and high number of sunny days.

But hey... this seems more reasonable and a great opportunity for the city.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #74
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Amazon handle their call centre out of HQ? Sounds like something they would do offshore. I'm not sure time zones would matter all that much for the positions I imagine would be here.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #75
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Does Amazon handle their call centre out of HQ? Sounds like something they would do offshore. I'm not sure time zones would matter all that much for the positions I imagine would be here.
I would assume that the people working in the HQ's have to talk with the rest of the companies operations, suppliers etc, its not like they are just sitting around playing solitaire, its the co headquarters of the worlds largest distribution operation, calling, meeting and texting people, I would imagine, is about all they do.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #76
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, then thy can work 24 hours like the rest of us!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #77
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The big downside for Calgary is probably the fact we're in Canada, moreso than anything else.
I wonder if that could be used to our advantage. Cloud based storage always brings up the question- what laws govern my data in the country where its being stored? So are there enough Canadian companies that would use them to be able to have there data stored in Canada as opposed the the US? What about other countries, do they have that same consideration.

Also for companies that don't care as much, Calgary's network connections to Seattle might make for redundant backups being easier.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I wonder if that could be used to our advantage. Cloud based storage always brings up the question- what laws govern my data in the country where its being stored? So are there enough Canadian companies that would use them to be able to have there data stored in Canada as opposed the the US? What about other countries, do they have that same consideration.

Also for companies that don't care as much, Calgary's network connections to Seattle might make for redundant backups being easier.
They already have those in Quebec:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...s-than-ontario
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #79
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I think Calgary should take a serious run at this:

-Close but not too close to Seattle HQ, with 7 daily flights between the cities
-Lots of office space available at low prices
-Cost of living not insane (compared to others that want in like Toronto)
-Highly educated workforce
-Strong presence in logistics (and warehouse space)
-Top 5 in the Economist Livability index (we gotta play that up)
Almost anyone I know that stays here must list PROXIMITY TO MOUNTAINS.

Chief Jon Snow wrote in his memoirs that the stretch from Morley into Kananaskis and Banff has been a sacred Fairway for a VERY long time... indeed it has been very special in my life! One of my top reasons for staying here.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #80
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Good flight access is probably more important. We have access to basically all major US hubs, and it would improve if Amazon showed up.

Not necessarily, though. The tax advantages of Canada could be huge for the company earning international revenues.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote