Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 AM   #3041
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
While I do agree that this team often looks slow, I think that is partially due to the system they are playing. That strict adherence to moving up the ice as a 5 man unit. They wait too long to transition up the ice it seems. I think that probably does have a lot to do with it.

I don't think that this team has 'slow' players - who is really slow on the team? Brouwer? Stajan? Possibly Stone?

This team just plays really slow for some reason. I don't know why exactly, I don't know how, but this team ends up looking slow often.
The 1st line doesn’t look slow at all though, especially Gaudreau. These guys score on the rush all the time and can take on the best of teams. Every other line though just doesn’t move quick enough. Vegas has a burner on every line and they just play with incredible pace.

They backchecked and forechecked hard, defended fast and countered with their speedy forwards. If we had more forwards like Gaudreau who can create their own shot, make plays for their linemates and break games wide open with their speed than maybe we could be at the same level. But we’re not and it’s the same reason why we can’t seem to get a goal from a forward not named Tkachuk, Monahan, Ferland or Gaudreau. Same guys scoring while everyone else just skates around aimlessly.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #3042
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I can't remember the last time we took a timeout for the purpose of refocusing/rallying the team, or made a strategic goalie change before the score was out of reach. Are those just tactics of the past now?
You need to save timeouts just in case you need a video review, that’s why. You already get 3 tv timeouts that are just as good and unless your team is absolutely on their heels, you might as well just keep it in your back pocket. Just look at tonight as an example, Gallant and Gulutzan both used their timeouts for video reviews and it completely changed the game.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #3043
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
This is like the 20th post-game interview this season Gulutzan has said we came out unprepared.
He must be talking about the coaching staff rather than the players.

This game against Vegas was the perfect contrasts to how the Flames play, and why this team is underperforming. Vegas attacks, and play north-south hockey. Flames play east-west, and play at a very timid pace.

Passive hockey, passive results. I have no idea why he would structure a system that allows the opposing team to set up defensively. No wonder this team can't score goals aside from their star players.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #3044
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man after tonight the Flames are 21st in goals against. It’s really unacceptable when you consider the significant investment it took (in assets given up and in contracts) to construct this blue line. The Predators for example have let in 28 less goals and scored 13 more than the Flames. This team is so far away from being a serious contender.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 AM   #3045
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
This is like the 20th post-game interview this season Gulutzan has said we came out unprepared.
It's funny. In a building where everyone talks about how ill-prepared opposition teams are, the Flames come out ill-prepared.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #3046
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
The 1st line doesn’t look slow at all though, especially Gaudreau. These guys score on the rush all the time and can take on the best of teams. Every other line though just doesn’t move quick enough. Vegas has a burner on every line and they just play with incredible pace.

They backchecked and forechecked hard, defended fast and countered with their speedy forwards. If we had more forwards like Gaudreau who can create their own shot, make plays for their linemates and break games wide open with their speed than maybe we could be at the same level. But we’re not and it’s the same reason why we can’t seem to get a goal from a forward not named Tkachuk, Monahan, Ferland or Gaudreau. Same guys scoring while everyone else just skates around aimlessly.
If you have to be a "forward like Gaudreau" to create offense in our system, that's exactly the problem. Vegas skates hard, sure, but the way they play generates so much more speed than we do. As soon as they get the puck they've got at least 2 players making a beeline down the ice, and the puck is getting fired up there with them immediately. Meanwhile we're reversing the puck behind our own net 5 times until the other team makes a line change.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:54 AM   #3047
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
If we had more forwards like Gaudreau...maybe we could be at the same level.
Vegas haven't one, +15 standings points
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #3048
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was really hoping today would have been the day that I would wake up and Gulutzan would be #### canned. Alas, no luck. Not sure I’m even interested in making the trek to Glendale to watch this uninspired team play the worst team in hockey. Gulutzan not on,y sucks the life out of the hockey team, but he sucks the life out of the most rabid of hockey fans. Sigh.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #3049
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

It really would have been the perfect place to fire him. His Mom was there, she could give him a ride home.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #3050
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the boys loose tonight I hope we are sellers at the deadline. We should move some players...and the ###### bag coach
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #3051
Toonage

Exp:

Flames will recoup some picks at the deadline and the draft, without a doubt. We lament the loss of our 1st this year but will probably get someone else's 1st for one of our D. And yes, the coaching staff will be removed. Eric said it best in the PGT last night. This is the light at the end of the tunnel. GG will be fired.

I wanted him fired last year, he won me over with the stick throw and the burst of emotion we hadn't seen at any point in his tenure, but since then its business as usual. Time for a going out of business sale.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #3052
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rangers will probably part ways with Alain Vigneault this offseason. Any interest? If JQ is not available he would be the next best choice imo.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #3053
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Rangers will probably part ways with Alain Vigneault this offseason. Any interest? If JQ is not available he would be the next best choice imo.
Absolutely.

We joke about no more Canuck cast offs but I think we'd all live with this exception.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #3054
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Painful to watch this entire emotionless staff behind the bench. I went to Brent Butt last night (highly recommended). My wife checked her phone and it was 1-0 Vegas. I knew it was over then. Can we get score the first goal in a game eventually?
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #3055
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d love to see AV behind the bench.

I shall dream of his arrival until otherwise notified.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #3056
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just seems like the coaching staff has no backup plans for when teams change their strategy. I can count numerous games where the opposition makes a change and GG keeps trucking at it and usually ends up as a L.

The team is struggling to score goals 5 on 5 now so he puts Hathaway on the 1st line who is a offensive sink hole.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #3057
Toonage

Exp:

Its the one size fits all game plan. GG has his pieces where he wants them at all times and runs through the process regardless of what players are in those spots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #3058
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe that the sample size is big enough now to know what we have in Gulutzan and his staff.

The supporters or the pro Gulutzan folks point to the team's improved advanced stats that would suggest that the team has gotten better under Gulutzan. I would disagree.

The whole premise behind Corsi and a lot of these other possession statistics is to provide a large picture of what is going on with the teams chances for and against - the idea being that if these possession numbers are better over time luck and shooting percentage will even out and you'll win more than you lose.

I don't see a team that's better. I see a team that based purely on the eyeball test looks worse than the sum of their parts. They seem slower than they should be most nights, they seem to get hemmed in their own end and fore checked to death, they seem passive and easy to play against.

I think a culture change is very much in order. At what point do Burke and Treliving recognize that this staff cannot prepare this team to win in big games? How many years of the team friendly Gaudreau/Monahan contracts do we waste? One more? Two more?

I say it's time to move on at the end of this season and find a veteran coach that can get the most out of what is actually a pretty talented group.

Last edited by Racki; 02-22-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #3059
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any real pro-Gulutzan folks left?

Id be curious what the ratio is as we get to the trade deadline
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #3060
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with most here that GG will get the boot if the flames don't make the playoffs. On one hand I have accepted the 20 game wait, on the other, if the Flames end up hiring someone available now, then not making the change now just ends up wasting the 20 game learning curve next year...