Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 02:40 AM   #161
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
It's a difficult time to cheer for this team, especially since the lineup should be a lot better than they've shown. They need to be selling in the next few days and know that the entire coaching staff needs to be shown the door in April.
Even Marty Gelinas?!?!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:50 AM   #162
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Even Marty Gelinas?!?!
Unfortunately I think so. He wasn't great under Hartley either. Time to clean house and start from scratch.

I will always appreciate what he did for the Flames in 04 but I think all those years as a Canuck and Oiler the stink is following him.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-22-2018 at 02:52 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:35 AM   #163
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Honestly, has there been that many sustained, or even brief exciting moments at home this season? Anytime a Go Flames Go chant is attempted, the Flames end up doing something that kills the setup or are on the backcheck. The team has been extremely boring at home this year, and has done nothing to get the fans hyped.

Out of all rosters I've seen since 1997, I feel this one is the most lethargic. They're really consistent in playing flat and uninspired.

This. Uninspiring, boring and losing hockey. Also without knowing the full context of what Stajan said, who cares. That great atmosphere only inspired him to the same old performance in a 7-3 loss.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 AM   #164
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
The Flames have paid him close to $20 million over his time in Calgary. He's making nearly a million dollars per goal. Fans cheering louder aren't gonna stop him from taking dumb penalties or always whining in the faceoff circle.

Nobody even wants this plug in a trade.
These are the kind of thoughts that make Canadian fans sucks. Stajan has been a heart and soul player for this team for a long time, although of the lower skilled variety. He's nearing the end of his career, so he's not nearly as effective as he once was, but oh boy! I can't wait to kick him in the ass out the door! What did he do to deserve this treatment exactly? Get older, and like every single player, not be as good at hockey. Do you really find that fact so personally offensive that you need to treat him like an a-hole?

Stajan is right, the fans on the road cheer harder than the fans at home. It's an ugly phenomenon. Season ticket holders have made so many comments in threads that they're fed up with this team and they don't want to bother going to games anymore. You know what? You can stop going any time. Give those seats up to a fan that really wants to be there. Even if attendance drops overall, at least those fans that do show up would cheer with some enthusiasm for their team, EVEN IF THEY AREN'T PLAYING PERFECTLY. Some of you have such ridiculous expectations for this team that they are probably playing like they're walking on eggshells for fear of upsetting the fans even more.

Give Stajan a break. He doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. Cheer for the friggin' team, regardless of how every game is going or how the season is going. Get off your hands and use your voice.

/end rant
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #165
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jokes on those who watched this slobberfest. Went to bed instead and was well worth the sleep vs watching this.

Rittich no longer seems superhuman. Smith can't come back fast enough.

At least at this point next season I'm fairly certain it will be a new coach, barring some miraculous playoff run (if we make it).

Welcome to Calgary Joel Quennville!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #166
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Chicago will still be paying Q $6M a year if they fire him. Flames going to beat that? I don't know. Would love it though!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #167
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I am ready to burn this mother down if stajan said something about the library dome atmosphere!
Is The Dome a Library again??

I haven't been to a game there in 10 years
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #168
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

More likely to see Alain Vigneault behind the bench next year. He's being paid 2M USD right now.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #169
Toonage

Exp:

Re: Dome atmosphere
It can be a little sleepy until its time for the wave, yes.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #170
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Is The Dome a Library again??

I haven't been to a game there in 10 years
Been a Library for the last 10 years or so.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #171
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
More likely to see Alain Vigneault behind the bench next year. He's being paid 2M USD right now.
Fits the trend of hiring all old canuck garbage to a TEE, wouldn't be shocked. Are there any Vancouver alumni looking for work?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #172
Toonage

Exp:

Av isn't garbage though. In the past 7 years he's been to 2 Stanley Cup finals.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #173
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I wonder if management looked at that seriously but determined there were no good replacements available.
I'm sure they have, but it makes sense to wait for the off-season. There are some good coaches who likely will change teams once the playoffs are over. No point in flubbing up another hiring because the fans on an internet forum demand it after each loss.

I hope BT learned his lesson about this hiring, and goes out and hires a veteran coach who commands instant respect in the locker room and knows how to utilise the team's skill set appropriately. Sure it's fun when the Flames win. But that's usually on the backs of:

a) Mike Smith being Jesus
b) The top line putting up points

Otherwise the Flames' system blows chunks. 2 years of Brodie on the wrong side. Stupid special teams PP. No wins vs the Oilers (losses that come back to bite the team in the ass). Slow starts. Stupid home vs away record. The list goes on.

I pray the Hawks don't make the playoffs , and then will pray even harder that the team throws millions of dollars at Quenneville for him to come here.

The team is still very much a bubble team. They were never close to being a contender this season. However IMO bubble teams are the most frustrating teams to watch. With contenders or bottom feeders, at least you know what you are getting. It sounds nice during the off-season to say your team is a bubble playoff team, so at least you think they are going to be somewhat competitive. But all that means is they cocktease you all season long and likely you end up disappointed.

Then again, this should surprise no one. We haven't seen a consistent dominating regular season team since the 90s. I love the Flames with all my heart. But I'll never let myself believe they are truly destined to become a contender until I witness it with my own eyes.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #174
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That game was fun...for a while. After the disallowed goal the game got away from Calgary. Rittich really let the team down. Based on what I saw, this team isn’t a contender and quite likely isn’t a playoff team. I’m still glad I went. After having been at a Flames game at home last month and the Vegas game last night, one thing is clear: Calgary needs a new building. It’s shameful that the Flames play in that building and still, there is no agreed upon plan for a new arena. The fans deserve better.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #175
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The fate of the team is no longer in its own hands. Even a hot streak has to be coupled with teams above them imploding to get into the Post-season.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #176
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The fate of the team is no longer in its own hands. Even a hot streak has to be coupled with teams above them imploding to get into the Post-season.
what are you talking about? 21 games left and 2 points and 3 points back of the two wild cards. 4 points back of Anaheim with a game in hand and they play them still. 5 back of SJ and they play them twice. Very much up for grabs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #177
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Since the forum police here can't stomach any criticism of their beloved team I am going to discuss only the positives from this game. There are only 22 games left in Glen Gulutzan's tenure as the head coach of the Calgary Flames. No matter how bad this loss feels and the ones after that's something that should take off a bit of the sting. There's light at the end of the tunnel Flames fans.
In the Sin Bin for this? If so very lame.

This season has been a disaster.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hixxes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #178
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
what are you talking about? 21 games left and 2 points and 3 points back of the two wild cards. 4 points back of Anaheim with a game in hand and they play them still. 5 back of SJ and they play them twice. Very much up for grabs.
This team has played 30 games of good, not great hockey and 31 games of unacceptably mediocre hockey. Even if they get back to the good level, it won't be enough to surpass teams that have been much more consistent and can actually win at home and the road. Do you really believe this team is capable of beating the Sharks, Avs, Blue Jackets and Knights on home ice the rest of the way?

Bottom line: another 5 or 6 game winning streak is essentially the only way I can see this ship righting its course to playoff hockey.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-22-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #179
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Stajans comments were more directed at the loudness of the vacationing fans in Vegas, the passive aggressivesness also oozes out.

The Dome is loud. Sure, not in the 3:40 mark of the second period of a january game vs the Wild, but in a good entertaining close game in the third period, fans are very much into it.
The Flames have been in a bunch of those games and had the crowd behind them, then found ways to lose st home. So that doesn't help.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #180
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are 30-22-9. I would hardly classify that as a disaster. Edmonton's season, now that is a disaster.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote