Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #81
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Took my 8 year old son and we both loved it. Felt like a mix between GoTG and the other Marvel movies. I thought it was really well done. Give me all the superhero movies, I WANT THEM ALL!!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #82
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
It's a ####ing comic book folks. It's not supposed to be deeply thoughtful or close to reality. CGI was great, story was great, movie was fun.
I don't think it's unfair to ask more from a comic book movie. Like I said before great movie until the end. They didn't properly explore some of the political themes and instead focused on big fight scenes.

I thought the CGI in the final act was pretty poor too. The scene where they were falling through the tunnel was done pretty badly, as was the scene with the Wakanda fight.

Overall, the main issue was the third act just played a little too safe and formulaic.

I think it's fair to discuss these movies, including shortcomings. Particularly when some critics are calling it the best Marvel movie ever.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #83
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ryan Coogler Says He Was ‘Moved to Tears’ by ‘Black Panther’ Support in Emotional Thank You Letter

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/ry...er-1202706171/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #84
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
It's a ####ing comic book folks. It's not supposed to be deeply thoughtful or close to reality. CGI was great, story was great, movie was fun.
When people are claiming “masterpiece” and “the best marvel movie yet”, yeah I do expect something more than usual.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #85
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well I thought it was thoughtful. Close to reality no, but that has nothing to do with masterpiece.

Even the term masterpiece leaves a lot open to interpretation. Compared to most other comic book movies? Absolutely. Compared to all movies? Well obviously no. I think we all knew we weren't watching There Will Be Blood. And I don't think anyone needs to mention that either. It isn't really even fair to be honest. Most of the DC movies (and several of the Marvel ones too) are downright ####ing ########. Go back and watch BvS, Suicide Squad, Iron Man 3, JL etc and then watch this. Then you might think you are watching There Will Be Blood because this movie is that much better than those pieces of crap. SpiderMan 3 is a real movie that happened. People paid money to see that. We should all be weeping tears of joy that the entire comic book industry wasn't wiped off the face of the earth after that abomination and that we have the privileged to continue to watch good movies like this one despite that unforgivable sin.

This was quite a bit more than usual. It made sense (not even the Nolan Batman movies can say that), it was well acted, the characters were well developed, it was serious yet fun without feeling overwrought or goofy, it was topical with a strong message without feeling preachy.

When you have a movie with a good plot and solid characters that makes sense and is entertaining it is definitely in the running for the best comic book movie ever. Whether the CGI was the best ever (I didn't notice anything) or the music was revolutionary seem like they are well beyond secondary.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #86
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just posted this is the general comic book movie thread but I thought the CGI in this was good to great, but it might be because I had watched the CGI disaster that is Justice League right before this.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #87
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m personally not complaining much about the CG itself, more than there’s too much of it. With Coogler at the helm, and the great fight scenes in Creed, I was expecting some more intimate might scenes and I thought the jungle would have made a much more interesting setting than a huge field and an open mine. And again, the music didn’t live up to what I expected. A “masterpiece” IMO must include memorable music that did something to the film on its own. That something the Batman films had down better than all superhero movies.

It was good. I enjoyed it. But I was also disappointed. I thought there was more potential.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:06 AM   #88
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah the hype for me hurt my viewing I think, I really enjoyed it but was expecting it to be better than Wonder Woman, Thor Ragnarok, which are 2 of my absolute favorite superhero movies.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #89
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #90
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well I thought it was thoughtful. Close to reality no, but that has nothing to do with masterpiece.

Even the term masterpiece leaves a lot open to interpretation. Compared to most other comic book movies? Absolutely. Compared to all movies? Well obviously no. I think we all knew we weren't watching There Will Be Blood. And I don't think anyone needs to mention that either. It isn't really even fair to be honest. Most of the DC movies (and several of the Marvel ones too) are downright ####ing ########. Go back and watch BvS, Suicide Squad, Iron Man 3, JL etc and then watch this. Then you might think you are watching There Will Be Blood because this movie is that much better than those pieces of crap. SpiderMan 3 is a real movie that happened. People paid money to see that. We should all be weeping tears of joy that the entire comic book industry wasn't wiped off the face of the earth after that abomination and that we have the privileged to continue to watch good movies like this one despite that unforgivable sin.

This was quite a bit more than usual. It made sense (not even the Nolan Batman movies can say that), it was well acted, the characters were well developed, it was serious yet fun without feeling overwrought or goofy, it was topical with a strong message without feeling preachy.

When you have a movie with a good plot and solid characters that makes sense and is entertaining it is definitely in the running for the best comic book movie ever. Whether the CGI was the best ever (I didn't notice anything) or the music was revolutionary seem like they are well beyond secondary.
A comic book movie doesn't have to be held to a different standard merely because it's source material comes from a comic book.

Logan was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.
The Dark Knight received an academy award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role.

Black Panther was clearly not on the level of those movies. As a thought piece, I'd even put it below movies like V for Vendetta.

I understand the complaints about the reviews. If you go in expecting a fun action movie, that's one thing. If you go in expecting a "masterpiece" or the "best comic book movie of all time" and what you get is significantly worse than movies like the Dark Knight, then your going to be disappointed. Disney really seems to have their review game down. There's a significant disparity between what many reviewers are saying about their movies and the actual product.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #91
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I really enjoyed this film, in particular I liked that the character motivations were all clear and sensible and there weren't really any gaping plotholes. Thought it was definitely the best of the marvel movies.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #92
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was... good. It wasn't at all ambitious in what it aimed to do, but it succeeded in hitting the target. It's by no means the best Marvel movie though, it fits among many other well executed but not outstanding offerings from the studio. As such, it's probably a bit of a victim of its own hype and expectations. I'm not sure how much of this I should spoiler tag so I'll tag all of it.

Spoiler!

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it thoroughly notwithstanding the above nitpicks. Totally worth seeing in Imax, and I'll see it again when (if?) it hits Netflix, or wherever else.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #93
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah the hype for me hurt my viewing I think, I really enjoyed it but was expecting it to be better than Wonder Woman, Thor Ragnarok, which are 2 of my absolute favorite superhero movies.
I watched it this weekend and felt the same. Great film but all the hype going in, I was expecting to be fully blown away.

For me, the greatest superhero film was 'The Dark Knight'. I was completely blown away watching that.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 AM   #94
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched this earlier this week. Michael B Jordan was fantastic as a villain.

But one thing that bugged me all throughout the movie...

Spoiler!
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #95
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Just watched this earlier this week. Michael B Jordan was fantastic as a villain.

Spoiler!
Doesn’t someone bring this up with every solo Marvel movie? “If such and such crisis was going on, where were the rest of the Avengere?” — you kind of just have to roll with it.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 AM   #96
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post

Spoiler!
Only Bucky was left in Wakanda after Civil War, there was noting in that movie indicating that anyone else stayed
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #97
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Before even the third weekend of release, Black Panther is the 17th all-time highest domestic gross movie.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Third highest in Marvel Universe:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...d=avengers.htm

Last edited by troutman; 03-02-2018 at 12:27 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #98
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Before even the third weekend of release, Black Panther is the 17th all-time highest domestic gross movie.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm
To be a bit of a Debbie Downer....

The recent spike in ticket prices results in most successful new movies making the non-inflation adjusted list. Adjusted for inflation BP is only 122nd on the all time domestic list.

Black Panther is also not doing particularly well internationally (in comparison to its domestic take). BP is 81st internationally. While trash like the new Jumanji is 45th.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #99
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To be a bit of a Debbie Downer....

The recent spike in ticket prices results in most successful new movies making the non-inflation adjusted list. Adjusted for inflation BP is only 122nd on the all time domestic list.

Black Panther is also not doing particularly well internationally (in comparison to its domestic take). BP is 81st internationally. While trash like the new Jumanji is 45th.
It should finish around 40th all time adjusted for inflation. Which also includes multiple releases for older movies. So that is pretty impressive for a February release.

Internationally is interesting to look at so far as it just opened in Japan and hasn't opened in China. This movie will easily go over 1 billion world wide so will finish at least in the top 30 worldwide.

So no matter what metric you look at this movie fits into the most popular movies discussion despite the poor release date.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #100
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm really curious to see how it does in Japan and China, those audiences that have been known to dislike black actors (Japan occasionally enjoys over the top racist stereotypes of black men, but that's about it). It would be a hell of a feat for Black Panther to transcend that and get great numbers in those countries.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
GGG