Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | Realtor® & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally wouldn't be worried about living in a haunted house because ghosts never bother people who don't believe in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would buy the Jealous Jockey Murders house, pretty sweet digs.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I am not religious or superstitious by any stretch. But there was a triple axe murder in Lake Bonavista, just a couple blocks from my folks place, and just walking past that house makes me feel uncomfortable knowing the horror that went inside there. Like full on Overlook Hotel stuff. I personally think a place like that should be bulldozed, and a park put up or something. How someone can live in there to save a hundred bucks a month on a mortgage payment is beyond me.
I thought of that very thing when I was visiting Vimy Ridge in France. There is a care takers house not far from the monument, and I couldn't help but think that the person living there couldn't be superstitious in the least. Considering how many tens of thousands of lives were lost in such a small area over the course of the War.

Not to mention a lot of other places in Europe where thousands were killed in conflicts through out history.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

The thing is any competent realtor should be able to do a good job filtering out some of the possibilities.
I google every property address a client is looking to buy. If it is a registered grow op it will come up in the first few results under alberta health. I would assume that any newspaper articles on a murder would include the address and this should come up as well???
I myself am going to have to revisit the rules on disclosure. Selling such a stigmatized property is one of those things I have never encountered.
As for other stigmas, if asked you must tell. I sold an estate sale and a common question was "did the seller die at the property"? Although this specific situation it was not the case, it was actually considered to be a deal breaker for many.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in a house built in 1913... I'm sure it has seen a lot in 100 years!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont understand why people are concerned that it could be a murder house. A coat of paint and some new carpet and I wouldnt have any issues.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #27
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The mix of reactions in this thread is exactly why I think it should be a matter of Buyer's due diligence. If this is the kind of thing that would bother you, then you should ask when you're thinking about buying a house.

For me, death wouldn't bother me, as long as it wasn't really grisly and recent, then I might hesitate. However, I would ask every time if there have been any grow-ops on the block in the past 5 years, simply because, in my experience, they often cluster, and bring a potential for bad traffic, violence, and associated collateral mayhem that would make me think twice about a property.

If I'm worried about that, I should ask questions and investigate. If I'm worried that a pedophile or sex offender might live nearby I should investigate that possibility and ask that question. Why does the Seller have to guess what the Buyer might be worried about? Ghosts? Pets buried in the back yard? Annoying neighbours that play loud music or smoke on their balcony? Where does it end?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #28
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just sage the house and you'll be fine. Also collect baby tears and pour a drop at each entry way. Problems gone...
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #29
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like this house is still selling well, or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/03/showbi...house-for-sale

The real one sold as well

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10...32596605_zpid/

Last edited by RogerWilco; 03-14-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would never purchase a home that has had anyone die in it, regardless of murder, suicide, or natural death. I get seriously uncomfortable with even the thought of living in a place, let alone stepping into a place that has had someone die in it. Would rather build, but thats me though
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #31
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I am not religious or superstitious by any stretch. But there was a triple axe murder in Lake Bonavista, just a couple blocks from my folks place, and just walking past that house makes me feel uncomfortable knowing the horror that went inside there. Like full on Overlook Hotel stuff. I personally think a place like that should be bulldozed, and a park put up or something. How someone can live in there to save a hundred bucks a month on a mortgage payment is beyond me.
Your folks must live near my folks. I too have walked past that house and seen the current residents busily working in the yard, and thought 'Do they know? They must know.'
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Your folks must live near my folks. I too have walked past that house and seen the current residents busily working in the yard, and thought 'Do they know? They must know.'
You should mess with them. Find a name and desciption of one of the victims, then strike up a conversation and mention that you were walking by the other day and talked to "so and so" or saw "so and so playing in the yard", but don't lead on like you know anything about the murders.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Would never purchase a home that has had anyone die in it, regardless of murder, suicide, or natural death. I get seriously uncomfortable with even the thought of living in a place, let alone stepping into a place that has had someone die in it. Would rather build, but thats me though
Here is a tip:

Never go to a hospital or get into an ambulance.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

House for sale. Full disclosure: haunted

http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/04/hous...osure-haunted/

A death in a house is not considered a “material defect” in Pennsylvania

http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/01/a-de...-pennsylvania/

In a decision handed up in Pennsylvania last week, a panel of Superior Court judges reaffirmed that the sordid reputation of a home – no matter how gruesome – does not count as “material defect” and does not have to be disclosed to the buyer.

“The fact that a murder once occurred in a house falls into that category of homebuyer concerns best left to caveat emptor” – let the buyer beware, the court wrote.

Last edited by troutman; 04-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
You should mess with them. Find a name and desciption of one of the victims, then strike up a conversation and mention that you were walking by the other day and talked to "so and so" or saw "so and so playing in the yard", but don't lead on like you know anything about the murders.
IIRC a father killed his wife and two daughters so that would be a pretty crappy thing to do.

I think that house sat empty for a while after it happened because I remember driving past it fairly often in the years following and not seeming like it was lived in. It's kind of odd too because growing up in Canyon Meadows there was other murders I remember occurring and sometimes I would think about it when I was at the 7-11 or going past a house that a murder occurred in, but I certainly noticed that house in Bonavista every time I drove by.
dear god is he 14?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

That house sold almost immediately. My mother was a realtor at the time.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haunted houses are always cheap!