Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #21
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And then there is donations at store checkouts. Sportchek was the pioneer there. It's a few $$$ extra for everything now. Can't buy a tube of toothpaste without being asked for donations. It's organized panhandling.
This should be outlawed.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could also be the way thier point of sales system is set up, but to me that is something that should be able to be turned off.

I wonder how many people tip the front office staff at the dentist. You walk in the door, tell them your name and then sit down and wait to be lead to the fun room.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Anyone else getting annoyed at having to tip at fast food joints? I've seen it at Edo Japan, Freshii, A&W, etc.
It feels like a bit of a racket to me. Anywhere where I'm prompted to tip BEFORE I get my food I'm a bit nervous about.

"Better tip otherwise it'd be unfortunate if something undesirable would happen to your food oops I dropped it on the floor oh well".

The floor being the most desirable out of the possible options.

Not tipping my dental hygienist also seems like potential extortion; does my lack of tip result in a much more painful visit next time?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #24
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I think the social convention for tipping anywhere is outrageous. Why should I be expected to pay a tip to a bar tender or a waitress, as a right, rather than a guy at subway who busts his ass and does a great job? Social convention is the only answer. Social convention is stupid. I pick up an order from Swiss chalet and I have no social pressure to tip the lady that completes the transaction with me, even if she is juggling two phone calls, gets my meal immediately and is smooth as hell. But if I go into the restuarant for a sit down meal, there's social pressure to tip the lady who never once comes by to ask if I want a Pepsi refill?

Abolish tipping everywhere. They'll still be waitresses and bartenders. I don't care if they aren't hot women.
I agree that it should be an all or nothing approach regardless of job or salary. Abolishing it would be my vote.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spuzzum For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

OP should publicly name the Dentist office so they can be shamed, because that's pretty inappropriate to ask for a tip at a damn dentist office. Especially when they justify it because they provided 'exceptional service'. What does that even mean? That they did the job they were supposed to because you paid them?

Even though I hate tipping and think we should follow the European model, there's a time and place where it's appropriate. The Dentist is certainly not one of them.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #26
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That dentist will lose patients. Bad business decision.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

YOU FOOLS! Don't you realize what you've done?! What you've unleashed upon this forum?

The springs cometh...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah this isn't bringing Springs1 back, only restaurant tipping drives her insane.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #29
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Dentist I was going to drive a Masseatti and his Dental hygienists had the what's what of power soccer mom luxury SUV's. Me in my busted ass 06 Silverado leave these people a tip? Larf!

I manage an office of drafting people who make much less than these folks. If we do an outstanding job....no one tips us, we hope to get another job out of that.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 03-17-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #30
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear dentist, I’ll refer friends to you but if you ever start shaming me for tips it’s over.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #31
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That dentist will lose patients. Bad business decision.
Doubt it. 99% of people will click no tip and forget about it in a minute or 2.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #32
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Restaurants and delivery drivers only. 10% every time. No more no less, unless it’s my neighbourhood pub where I’ve gotten to know the servers over the years, I give them 20%.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Nah this isn't bringing Springs1 back, only restaurant tipping drives her insane.
Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know of she who thirsts for RANCH? You think she reads anything but the thread title?

We are all of us doomed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #34
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as how projection is all the rage in the world, I betcha Springs1 is a dentist who asks for tips and will actually bless this thread telling us we're all wrong on this one.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #35
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
And then there is donations at store checkouts. Sportchek was the pioneer there. It's a few $$$ extra for everything now. Can't buy a tube of toothpaste without being asked for donations. It's organized panhandling.
This should be outlawed.
I stopped donating for different causes at stores a few years ago. I hated the social pressure of being asked to donate a buck or two every checkout and looked into the issue. From what I understand, the store collecting the donations passes the collected money on to the charity and then benefits from getting a tax deduction for the charitable donations. I choose to make a lump sum to charities of my choice.

Tipping has resulted in me dining out far less often. One pub I went to had the default tip option being 50%. If you bypassed this option,your next screen had choices of 20/30/40%. I no longer frequent the place.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #36
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tip at sit-down restaurants, barber shops and cabbies. I type in $0 for everyone else when prompted, which I think is what most people do. Even at restaurants, I use the McDonald's rule -- I don't tip unless I get more service than what would be expected at a McDonald's.

The tip prompt is so widespread now that I actually take greater notice when I'm not prompted for a tip. I've noticed the places that cater to the younger demographic are more likely to prompt for tips. I think Millennials and Post -Millennials have a greater acceptance of tip prompts than older folks, perhaps because they're employed somewhere that also prompt for tips. I was at Grand Central Market in LA a month or so ago and that place has really transformed and become much more gentrified and trendy over the past five to 10 years. But I noticed all the new, chic, and trendy food stalls prompted for tips while the few remaining mom and pop shops did not prompt for tips at all.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #37
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Sitting in a restaurant will get the server a tip, delivery drivers get a tip too. I also tip for haircuts and sometimes for cab rides. If the plumber wants a tip, here's a tip- your buttcrack is showing, now get the hell out of my house.
I’m the same way.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worst I've seen was the machine asking for a tip at the kids playplace. And not at the ####ty food/snack area, where we just paid to get our hands stamped and get in. Uhhh... no.

I tip my kid's hairdresser though, because my 4 year old brings demons out every time he gets a haircut. They earn that one.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #39
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get sort of annoyed at Booster Juice when your only option is to tip. It's 15/hr now and that made my smoothies cost more. So that's the deal. More wage less tip. But I still do the 10% option just to keep it simple.

It makes going out with my parents less painful. Their perma-10% is less embarrassing now that everyone makes more hourly.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #40
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That is one of the positives in Iceland, no tipping ever for anything.

But then again everything is expensive here.