Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #161
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any detailed maps around of the proposed route? The one the City of Calgary website doesn't show much.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #162
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Are there any detailed maps around of the proposed route? The one the City of Calgary website doesn't show much.
No, they all kind of suck. There's some decent details of the central section, but the whole thing is almost too big to show on one graphic with Google Map/satellite overlay. Someone needs to come up with an interactive map where you can zoom in and out to get a sense of where each station is.

Absent of that, you almost have to view the video or look at the drawings from the PDFs to figure out on a finer grain where each station is, how it is oriented, etc.

frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #163
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's super old, too.

You wouldn't think this would be complicated to put out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #164
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
$1billion to go 16th ave to 64th ave? That sounds excessive...
There were some numbers put out in during the council meetings in 2017; $1.3B to Beddington, ~$2B to 96the Avenue, nearly $2.4B to North Pointe. So $1B to 64th is believable in that context.

https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/864246865944088576
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #165
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post

Try this document:

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....ocumentId=6811

Starting from page 49.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #166
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Extremely disappointing if true. Sad to see the lack of vision by the various levels of government in this regard.
To be fair, the various levels of government ponied up and gave the asked for funding of $4.6B. It's just that the cost of the Green Line has ballooned, to at least $8B to complete and potentially even more given the risks in the tunnel section.

Last edited by accord1999; 03-18-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #167
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
To be fair, the various levels of government ponied up and gave the asked for funding of $4.6B. It's just that the cost of the Green Line has ballooned, to at least $8B to complete and potentially even more given the risks in the tunnel section.
Acknowledged, you are absolutely correct. I was hoping (and remain hopeful) that a way can be found to build the full line and to build it properly but I fear it will get delayed/shelved well into the future.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #168
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's just at least get the first phase built, and then work on the money to extend further.

This is not a cheap project, and it's gonna take a long time. At least we're getting it started.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #169
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. I acknowledge the merits of the NC vs SE debate, but its better to get the construction started. It is easier to get approvals for continuation of construction. The worst thing that can happen at this stage IMO is shelving or replanning the whole thing and further delaying the start/finish. Infrastructure projects will never get cheaper.

(Maybe we can arm-wrestle the federal and provincial governments to provide the funding they would have provided towards an olympics bid towards other needed infrastructure projects)
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #170
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Let's just at least get the first phase built, and then work on the money to extend further.

This is not a cheap project, and it's gonna take a long time. At least we're getting it started.
I agree that they should just get shovels in the ground for the funding they have gathered, or it will never get going. But it is still disappointing that utilization studies have shown North will face better ridership but it is politically harder because it involves displacing traffic lanes and houses, so the will is not there.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #171
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
But it is still disappointing that utilization studies have shown North will face better ridership but it is politically harder because it involves displacing traffic lanes and houses, so the will is not there.
I think the political and popular support is there; it's more of a matter of the planners who have made decisions that are biased in favor of the SE while ignoring ridership and operating costs.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #172
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
I think the political and popular support is there; it's more of a matter of the planners who have made decisions that are biased in favor of the SE while ignoring ridership and operating costs.
You do realize that the reason for Phase 1 going to 130th Ave SE is because that is where the maintenance & storage facility will be located, correct?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #173
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
You do realize that the reason for Phase 1 going to 130th Ave SE is because that is where the maintenance & storage facility will be located, correct?
Yes, which is one of the decisions that I feel was biased. Because they didn't seriously consider a location in the North, even though they admitted at one of the Council meetings in 2017 that Aurora Business Park had the space. And by choosing a site that's requires as much track as the entire NW segment along with the construction cost increases, you end up with no money left to build anything useful in the NC.

Last edited by accord1999; 03-21-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #174
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't help that Shane Keating is the head of the Transportation committee, and his ward is on the south line, which he has been pushing for years. I have my doubts he can act in an unbiased manner on these decisions. Once they get to 130th, they should fully prioritize the north line, there is no good reason to continue further south over going north, given the difference in ridership.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #175
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't help that Shane Keating is the head of the Transportation committee, and his ward is on the south line, which he has been pushing for years. I have my doubts he can act in an unbiased manner on these decisions. Once they get to 130th, they should fully prioritize the north line, there is no good reason to continue further south over going north, given the difference in ridership.
As much as Keating helps in the south, Chu hurts the green line going north it seems.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #176
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The lone good reason to build out the south first would be if residents up north pick a fight over expropriation. You could finish the south line, where the ROW already exists and was planned out years ago, while resolving any issues with the north.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chu hurts everything, including my brain. Don't remind me.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #178
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Once they get to 130th, they should fully prioritize the north line, there is no good reason to continue further south over going north, given the difference in ridership.
Though it seems like at this point, there will be a battle over which of the several staging options presented for Stage 2 will be chosen. Gondek vs Keating.

https://www.660citynews.com/2019/03/...e-lrt-project/

Though it doesn't help the North that after nearly 2 years after Stage 1 was picked, there has been virtually no land acquisition in the expected NC line to get it ready for construction.

Last edited by accord1999; 03-21-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #179
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Chu hurts everything, including my brain. Don't remind me.
To be fair to Chu, the Green Line was supposed to avoid the battle of NC vs SE and I don't think anybody in their worst nightmare would have imagined that $4.6B to only be enough to cover 20km of track, and not even able to build the supposed minimal useful Green Line core of Beddington to Shepard. Even as late as Feb 2017, the Calgary Herald was warning about a truncation but only to Beddington-Shepard:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ties-for-years

Last edited by accord1999; 03-21-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #180
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of the biggest issues is that the 4.6B estimate was for a fully at-grade LRT system.

The City of Calgary presented their ludicrously biased community engagement regarding whether we wanted at-grade, elevated or tunneled without presenting the trade-offs (pretty standard for City of Calgary - only present trade-offs if they want the consultation to fail - like for the crosswalk at the Peace bridge).

One of the trade-offs of selecting the most expensive method (albeit the best from a technical perspective) is that you would run out of money for the full line. Pretty sure this was already a certainty once the decision to tunnel was made.

I would've been interested to see the consultation results if it was presented that if we do at-grade, we can complete the entire Green Line as planned, but the tunneled would lead to this staged approach we're seeing today.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post: