Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2022, 09:02 AM   #861
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does BMI factor into hitting load because mine might be a pretty high number lol
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #862
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Shapo making headlines by complaining that Nadal gets preferential treatment from the umpires.
Yes Rafa gets so much preferential treatment that the tour installed a serve clock to hinder his play.

Dennis was complaining in sets 1,2&5 and in sets 3,4 he just played, hmmm you think he would think about that, instead of blaming others. I don't think Felix would ever act like this on court, he's much more level headed.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #863
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Yes Rafa gets so much preferential treatment that the tour installed a serve clock to hinder his play.

Dennis was complaining in sets 1,2&5 and in sets 3,4 he just played, hmmm you think he would think about that, instead of blaming others. I don't think Felix would ever act like this on court, he's much more level headed.
Well, you're not wrong NF, Felix has the Rafa approach while Shapo has more of a Djoker approach (including the racket smashes). I think in the heat of the moment, Shapo was lashing out and likely said some things that initially don't look great, but it's immediately following a tough loss where he had a great chance to advance. His motor runs hot and if he can learn to keep his cool in critical moments, it will serve him well down the road.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #864
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also last night, Kyrgios makes amends after hitting a kid in anger.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1485842070279720961

https://twitter.com/user/status/1485845236211675143
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #865
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like Dennis, and I really hope he wins a Grand Slam one day. I hope he takes away the right lessons from yesterday and continues to improve. He is really close to breaking through, but he needs to improve his mental side, because physically he has all the right shots and the game to beat Djokovic, Nadal or Federer.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #866
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still like Dennis, and I really hope he wins a Grand Slam one day. I hope he takes away the right lessons from yesterday and continues to improve. He is really close to breaking through, but he needs to improve his mental side, because physically he has all the right shots and the game to beat Djokovic, Nadal or Federer.
In my opinion, it boils down to shot selection/shot tolerance. With Rafa struggling physically, there's no need to try to paint lines and go for big shots that often result in unforced errors. You need to have larger margins/bigger target areas and look for those opportunities to put the point away from prime court positions.

Also, the chip return of serve was working so well against Opelka and Zverev and just disappeared last night, Denis gave Rafa way too many free points.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #867
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% DP, look at his match against Novak at Wimbledon. Same sort of thing, he continually tried to paint lines and rip the ball 100MPH when there was a safer shot that still would have won the point.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #868
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shapo also can't kick the habit of jumping out of his shoes for what should be controlled groundstrokes. that must be something he developed very young and just never corrected because it was flashy and he got away with it, but it totally takes away from his timing/balance/foundation when he needs it most.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #869
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
In my opinion, it boils down to shot selection/shot tolerance. With Rafa struggling physically, there's no need to try to paint lines and go for big shots that often result in unforced errors. You need to have larger margins/bigger target areas and look for those opportunities to put the point away from prime court positions.

Also, the chip return of serve was working so well against Opelka and Zverev and just disappeared last night, Denis gave Rafa way too many free points.
This is a shot he is working on (the block back return) and it will certainly be a game changer for him in terms of being able to neutralize big serves and get on top of a rally as a returner moving forward. All in all, I would say this is the best he can play at this point and time (aside from improve his block back and in rally slice) and it would have been good enough to be all but 2-3 players on tour so we can't be too upset.

I really hope the coaching change will finally get through to him that waiting for his spots and reading the match instead of just going down swinging is the difference between being top 5 and top 15 on tour.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #870
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

He has a point but the timing and delivery was all wrong. Say something firmly, leave it and table it again after the match. There's no need to go off and ultimately submarine your own game in the process. Nadal certainly isn't going to worry about it on court.

I think Shapo loses the 5th set last night regardless of what happened - it was too predictable that Denis would have a tight service game after coming back to tie the match, but there is no reason Rafa should have been granted a toilet break on top of the medical timeout when a rule is in place to prohibit it.

I thought we were past all of this ridiculous icing your opponent business but apparently it is still allowed on tour if you get creative enough.....we'll now see if anyone not named Rafa or Novak could potentially get away with it the rest of the season....which seems doubtful to me.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #871
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

It was obvious to everyone Rafa was doing that to kill Dennis' momentum. And it worked. Like, we all know it. So something should be done about it. People may think Dennis should just shut up about it, but I don't. The interview I saw he was very calm about the issue, he wasn't freaking out. He was right.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #872
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sinner vs. Greek Yogurt followed by Felix vs. Medvedev is a pretty good night of tennis. It's just a shame it starts as late as it does (9 PM Mountain time for the Sinner match).
Old 01-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #873
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

At least the women's matches are early. Collins vs Cornet, it seems like they've had the 5pm spot all week.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #874
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
At least the women's matches are early. Collins vs Cornet, it seems like they've had the 5pm spot all week.
Better have the earplugs at the ready for that match GS.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #875
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Better have the earplugs at the ready for that match GS.

Phhht this is nothing. I watched Azarenka vs. Sharapova in their prime.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #876
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give Felix a 15% to win and Sinner a 45% chance to pull off the upset
Old 01-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #877
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I give Felix a 15% to win and Sinner a 45% chance to pull off the upset

Sinner is actually favorite tonight. -150.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #878
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 01-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #879
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Italians are backing their paisano.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:09 PM   #880
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's an interesting matchup coming up Collins against Cornet. Collins has never made it past the 3rd round of any grand slam other than a semifinal appearance here in Melbourne in 2019 where she lost to Kvitova so she would love to get back.

Cornet has never played a QF ever in 17 years of playing grand slams. This is her 63rd grand slam appearance.