Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #7821
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Poster, you're not missing anything, New Era is.
Based on what HockeyIlliterate posted, the law states that the people of Florida are essentially voting for a slate of electors that have taken an oath to vote for a certain candidate, and that the Department of State must certify/send the electors that are attached to the candidates that the people voted for.

The Governor can't just send whoever he wants, that would be illegal.

Based on the Supreme Court decision, the electors must vote as the state law determines, so for Florida to go rogue, a lot of things that have already been deemed illegal would have to happen.
Not much of a chance it can happen, or would hold up.
In Florida the two links I have read don’t appear to say the elector must vote for a particular candidate. All it requires is that the elector has sworn an oath to vote for a particular candidate and that the Party has nominated them. There is no consequence given for not voting as per your oath.

So my internet lawyer read would be that if an elector who was selected by the party and swore an oath to vote for a particular candidate didn’t their vote would count and they would have just broken their oath.

Now this won’t happen if I have interpreted things correctly because Desantis has already nominated the electors and would have had to nominate from a list provided by the democrats.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #7822
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I was watching the beat with Ari Melber and in the opening segment with his guests he laid out (paraphrase):

'Potentially troubling for GOP is the new voter registration demographic is not typical of their base'

What if there is a scheme as you describe? Trump either gets away with it or it is discovered and he has then created the evidence for voter fraud and ultimately election results are thrown out and its in the scotus.

Trump already mused about his base doing this. If this new voter demographic is something that could be painted on progressives and their disdain for Biden the social media posts are already in place ie roll on the tape on all the negative Biden stuff - Joe Rogan!

From the right winger pov: long term this cleaves the left while short term they get second term with scotus majority.

I don't want to think like this but I truly think the GOP - right wing have some thing in the works. However if you look at where Trump is stumping it looks like he is on defensive (is this the plan).
How much can you cheat without getting caught? There were 6 million votes in Pennsylvania in 2016. Let’s say we have the same 4% error in Pennsylvania we did in 2016 which leaves Biden ahead by .5%-1%. That would require 30,000-60,000 fake ballots.

I think voter suppression tactics both legal and illegal have an easier path to victory.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #7823
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How much can you cheat without getting caught? There were 6 million votes in Pennsylvania in 2016. Let’s say we have the same 4% error in Pennsylvania we did in 2016 which leaves Biden ahead by .5%-1%. That would require 30,000-60,000 fake ballots.

I think voter suppression tactics both legal and illegal have an easier path to victory.
Trump either gets away with it or it is discovered and he has then created the evidence for voter fraud and ultimately election results are thrown out and its in the scotus.
meaning all mail ballots in every state could be suspicious then.

already 66M have voted - can't suppress that
Old 10-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #7824
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Trump either gets away with it or it is discovered and he has then created the evidence for voter fraud and ultimately election results are thrown out and its in the scotus.
meaning all mail ballots in every state could be suspicious then.

already 66M have voted - can't suppress that
I see where your going. The fraud doesn’t haven’t to be successful. If the Republicans were able to cast 1000 illegal ballots the whole election is suspicious. That’s an interesting idea.

Last edited by GGG; 10-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #7825
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Poster, you're not missing anything, New Era is.
Based on what HockeyIlliterate posted, the law states that the people of Florida are essentially voting for a slate of electors that have taken an oath to vote for a certain candidate, and that the Department of State must certify/send the electors that are attached to the candidates that the people voted for.

The Governor can't just send whoever he wants, nor can he tell them to vote differently than they've pledged to do (also, why would they, they're from the party of the winner). Doing either of those things would be illegal.

Based on the Supreme Court decision, the electors must vote as the state law determines, so for Florida to go rogue, a lot of things that have already been deemed illegal would have to happen.
Not much of a chance it can happen, or would hold up.
You're obviously not aware of Florida politics or the record of DeSantis. Law and order? Pfffft. The laws rarely apply in Florida.

The law says a lot of things that get challenged in the courts. That is why the Republicans prevented Obama from appointing judges and then packed the court themselves. They own the courts at all levels now, so that level of oversight is non-existent. Any court challenge by the Democrats is sure to be a loser.

I agree with what HockeyIllterate has posted, but there is a strategy that has been bouncing around for the better part of a year of what means the Republicans could use to keep Trump in office. What I described is one of those means. Yes, the list has been delivered and agreed to, but we don't know how DeSantis put the list together. Only DeSantis and the Florida Republicans will know at this point, because it is a secret to "protect" the election mechanism. Florida is definitely one of the states that the Republicans were targeting with a faithless elector strategy. The others are likely Georgia, Arizona, Texas, Iowa, and Ohio. Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan were probably on the list, but with Democrat Governors the task becomes that much more difficult. Again, this is a strategy that has been talked about as a way to keep Trump in office in the event of a close result. I also agree with others that this would push the public over the edge and lead to violence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #7826
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I see where your going. The fraud doesn’t haven’t to be successful. If we Republicans were able to cast 1000 illegal ballots the whole election is suspicious. That’s an interesting idea.

The scary part is election results going to the Supreme Court, where the GOP have a 6-3 supermajority
Old 10-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #7827
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see where your going. The fraud doesn’t haven’t to be successful. If we Republicans were able to cast 1000 illegal ballots the whole election is suspicious. That’s an interesting idea.
That's a point too.

But I do think a motivated grass roots pro Trump group is capable of numbers like 30,000-60,000. If Trump has his supporters believing the democrats are cheating, that's serious motivation to cheat themselves. Hell, Trump even told North Carolinians to vote twice.

I think it would be very suspicious if Trump outperforms 4 states like PA,NC,FL and Arizona, but the rest of the polling is about right.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #7828
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
I kind of appreciated the levity, while I'm down here in the US trying to keep an anxiety attack at bay because an inexperienced nut job was just gifted a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land calling into question the rights of myself and many of my close friends.

Please, joke about bands. I need a distraction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #7829
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know how anyone listens to Ben Shapiro, and is a liberal, anymore. I really try to hear this #######s right wing perspective, but man, his projection and disingenuous bull#### over the court packing and his flippant remarks over AOC today were just too much for me. #### him and his ####. She's a self made woman who put herself thru school by tending bar, and this #### sucker loves to refer to her as the bartender. What a snake. A ####ing greasy little weasel. I can't wait for his little ####ing head to explode when DC and PR are added as states, and I hope the Democrats pack the courts.

#### the Republicans and their stupid little shills. UGh I am so pissed off.

Also AOC is awesome. I hope she keeps triggering these #######s.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-27-2020 at 06:30 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #7830
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The scary part is election results going to the Supreme Court, where the GOP have a 6-3 supermajority
That is exactly Trump's plan.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #7831
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I don't know if it matters, but they don't have 6. Roberts is pretty much neutral, and is definitely not aligned with the Trump GOP. He's probably the only hope of keeping the court from going along with a full crazy Trump challenge.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #7832
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I dont know how anyone listens to Ben Shapiro, and is a liberal, anymore. I really try to hear this #######s right wing perspective, but man, his projection and disingenuous bull#### over the court packing and his flippant remarks over AOC today were just too much for me. #### him and his ####. She's a self made woman who put herself thru school by tending bar, and this #### sucker loves to refer to her as the bartender. What a snake. A ####ing greasy little weasel. I can't wait for his little ####ing head to explode when DC and PR are added as states, and I hope the Democrats pack the courts.

#### the Republicans and their stupid little shills. UGh I am so pissed off.

Also AOC is awesome. I hope she keeps triggering these #######s.
AOC has really grown a lot during her time in DC. She was on CNN yesterday and she showed a ton of restraint when the interviewer tried to bait her into criticizing Biden for not planning on banning fracking and other popular progressive stances. She focused on the importance of her supporters to focus on getting Trump out and that voting for Biden, who is a good person is the most important task at the moment.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #7833
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't know if it matters, but they don't have 6. Roberts is pretty much neutral, and is definitely not aligned with the Trump GOP. He's probably the only hope of keeping the court from going along with a full crazy Trump challenge.
Gorsuch is a bit of a moderate (or even a quasi-liberal) if there is some Native American issue involved.

Throw some Native sovereignty or disenfranchisement claim into the mix, and he and Roberts go with the “liberals” in a decision.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #7834
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
AOC has really grown a lot during her time in DC. She was on CNN yesterday and she showed a ton of restraint when the interviewer tried to bait her into criticizing Biden for not planning on banning fracking and other popular progressive stances. She focused on the importance of her supporters to focus on getting Trump out and that voting for Biden, who is a good person is the most important task at the moment.
Yes, she is clearly grooming herself for high office and is courting a more moderate image
Old 10-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #7835
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you guys are giving Trump too much credit...he has no master plan. His campaign strategy for the last week is to convince people that are already voting for him that Biden is a criminal.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #7836
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Gorsuch is a bit of a moderate (or even a quasi-liberal) if there is some Native American issue involved.

Throw some Native sovereignty or disenfranchisement claim into the mix, and he and Roberts go with the “liberals” in a decision.
The other thing with Gorsuch is he appears to be principled in his his interpretation of laws as a textualist. His authorship of the transgender ruling in the US is quite the read. So I think with Florida and faithless electors he would rule that they are permitted becuase the legislation allows it, at the same time he wouldn’t tolerate anything but the electors being selected from the democrats list.

Now if the democrats screwed up and couldn’t put 29 reliable people on that list then there could be issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #7837
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump's controversial rallies are actually working against him.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321225949061533696
Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #7838
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I think you guys are giving Trump too much credit...he has no master plan. His campaign strategy for the last week is to convince people that are already voting for him that Biden is a criminal.
He doesn't need to do anything campaign wise to change minds, he can say whatever crazy crap he wants because his whole plan is to cry foul and blame illegal ballots. He can say all the stupid stuff he wants because when he loses and loses badly he will say there was no way the results are legit, just look at the size of his rallies! We know this is coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #7839
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He doesn't need to do anything campaign wise to change minds, he can say whatever crazy crap he wants because his whole plan is to cry foul and blame illegal ballots. He can say all the stupid stuff he wants because when he loses and loses badly he will say there was no way the results are legit, just look at the size of his rallies! We know this is coming.
I think he’s a snake, he will just negotiated immunity as an exit strategy and leave quietly to his embezzles riches.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #7840
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He can say whatever he wants it doesn't matter...there will be enough votes counted by the end of election night to send him to the curb. This supreme Court garbage only has a chance if he is winning on election night and then blocks mail in ballots that come later. I don't see it