Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #1461
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
IIRC AHS shut them down once because they found a dead cat in the kitchen.
That goes in the Chicken Meow Mein.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #1462
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

-the way South Center mall was back in the mid 90's, they had petting zoos once in a while. Saw Lion King at the old movie theatre in there.
-Video Spot in the strip mall in Willow Park, on Fairmount Drive. I think its a Sobey's now. Disney movies and NES rentals for cheap. The DQ in that mall only served ice cream and I think it was closed in the winter. Willy's was in the corner of that parking lot, and I think it was a Chicken on the Way at one point too.
-Used to go to the 7-11 on Fairmount, in the summer with my mom on the way to the video store. I think its an A-1 now but it was a pet hospital at one time.
-Red Robin, which was my favorite place to go as a kid. The one on Macleod.
-Along with the Calgary Zoo. I still see fragments of it as I remember it, the lion and tiger enclosures are the same, but I miss the old buildings. The reptile, primate, australian houses. And of course the polar bears. It seemed much bigger and had more stuff than it does now,
-Chuck-E-Cheese, when it was over off 32nd. Creepy old singing robots. Kind of run down but was always pretty fun.
-Tee-to-Green in Shawnessy with the enormous golf ball. We lived with our house backing onto the CP rail tracks... and thats all there was there. Used to collect golf balls from the driving range .
-Shawnessy/Midlake when it was just a regular four way intersection. Had friends in Midnapore and Shawnessy and would just ride back and forth now, but crossing Macleod always seemed scary. Traffic was very light then tough, as Sundance and Sommerset/Bridlewood were the end of the city. I remember having to leave the city to get to Spruce Meadows.
-Easy Street and Bonkers were big at the time, thats where all the birthday parties were. Easy Street was in Chinook where the food court is now, no?
-10th Street NW looked so different even fifteen years ago. Loved the used books stores on that strip, they're all gone now. McNally Books on Stephen Ave was one of my favorites too.
-and the dump of a Zellers at the 4 Street/Center Street corner, its a superstore now. That Zellers was such a dump, seemed like no one even worked there. I remember playing hockey in there with a buddy a few times waiting for our girlfriends to get out of Diefenbaker and never getting harrassed about it. My sister shoplifted from there endlessly because

Last edited by Bs&Cs; 01-25-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I wasn't done haha
Bs&Cs is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bs&Cs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #1463
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

-The community of Edgemont used to have a wading pool that had a big stream leading to it
-Nosehill Park had horseback riding a long time ago
-Bowness Park used to have a lot more stuff to do
-I generally miss bowling alleys. There doesn't seem to be many left
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #1464
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
-The community of Edgemont used to have a wading pool that had a big stream leading to it
Really? Where was it? I grew up in Edgemont from the early 80s to mid 90s. I can't remember a wading pool in there at all.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #1465
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Really? Where was it? I grew up in Edgemont from the early 80s to mid 90s. I can't remember a wading pool in there at all.
If I remember correctly, it was in the ravine just north of edgepark Blvd, and a bit south of where Tom Baines/the daycare is. Always seemed the water was never on for it.

I had no idea it was gone...is that waterfall that led to it still around?

Edit: looks like it all is...man, that breaks my heart

https://maps.app.goo.gl/12YdK

Last edited by calf; 01-25-2019 at 11:33 PM.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #1466
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
If I remember correctly, it was in the ravine just north of edgepark Blvd, and a bit south of where Tom Baines/the daycare is. Always seemed the water was never on for it.

I had no idea it was gone...is that waterfall that led to it still around?

Edit: looks like it all is...man, that breaks my heart

https://maps.app.goo.gl/12YdK
Yeah, lots has changed. I remember when I was a kid (7-8) climbing up the hill behind the Edgemont Center, now a Gold's Gym I think, with my sister and cousins. Nothing but prairie. We'd hang out on these big boulders at the top of the hill and then go build hideouts in the long grass and play there all day. After we'd go to the Red Rooster and spend our allowances on candy and pop. Those were the days.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #1467
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs&Cs View Post
-and the dump of a Zellers at the 4 Street/Center Street corner, its a superstore now. That Zellers was such a dump, seemed like no one even worked there. I remember playing hockey in there with a buddy a few times waiting for our girlfriends to get out of Diefenbaker and never getting harrassed about it. My sister shoplifted from there endlessly because
That Zellers was so dumpy. If I'm remembering correctly they had one of their diners on the inside.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #1468
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
-Along with the Calgary Zoo. I still see fragments of it as I remember it, the lion and tiger enclosures are the same, but I miss the old buildings. The reptile, primate, australian houses. And of course the polar bears. It seemed much bigger and had more stuff than it does now,

I go to the Zoo every time I’m back in Calgary, my family are avid zoo-goers. (if you’ve ever been talked to by a tall, bearded volunteer with an Australian accent in either the butterfly house or penguin plunge that’s my dad) I’ve probably been to the zoo close to 500 times in my life and it is so much bigger and better than it used to be.

The combination of “Canadian wilds” section and then Zoo Island make it actually a challenge to see everything in a day, especially so if you take a trip through the dinosaur section.

The exhibits themselves are so much better too. There is no comparison between the current Africa exhibits and the old primate and big-mammal houses. Do I miss the elephants and polar bears? Of course. But the quality of life the animals experience is so much better than it was.

The old zoo is definitely not a thing I miss about “old Calgary.”

That Mother’s pizza glass posted above though, that made my nostalgia bone hurt.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #1469
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I go to the Zoo every time I’m back in Calgary, my family are avid zoo-goers. (if you’ve ever been talked to by a tall, bearded volunteer with an Australian accent in either the butterfly house or penguin plunge that’s my dad) I’ve probably been to the zoo close to 500 times in my life and it is so much bigger and better than it used to be.

The combination of “Canadian wilds” section and then Zoo Island make it actually a challenge to see everything in a day, especially so if you take a trip through the dinosaur section.

The exhibits themselves are so much better too. There is no comparison between the current Africa exhibits and the old primate and big-mammal houses. Do I miss the elephants and polar bears? Of course. But the quality of life the animals experience is so much better than it was.

That Mother’s pizza glass posted above though, that made my nostalgia bone hurt.
I remember a really darkened exhibit when I was younger. It was either for reptiles, insects or bats. Do you recall?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d00little For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #1470
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
I remember a really darkened exhibit when I was younger. It was either for reptiles, insects or bats. Do you recall?
That was the nocturnal house with reptiles and bats and stuff. It was my favorite part for some reason.

Quote:

It has been about two years since I was at the zoo but I thought the dino park was closed now. I thought they shut it down to redevelop it or something.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #1471
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about camp for a week. Camp Yamnuska?

Going to the mountains and spending a week with your class mates.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #1472
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post

It's still part of the CBE curriculum for grade 6. Not a week long, only three nights or something like that. It's called Camp Chief Hector now.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #1473
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post

Camp was awesome except for when my parents didn't come pick me up at the end. This was before cell phones existed so no one knew exactly what to do. I cried for quite a while when I was the last kid left.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #1474
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Camp was awesome except for when my parents didn't come pick me up at the end. This was before cell phones existed so no one knew exactly what to do. I cried for quite a while when I was the last kid left.
Ouch. Did you live in the wild for a few days?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #1475
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Are you old enough to remember when the zoo had a playground that was on water? Like you'd play around on this big fake boat or something, then you'd jump from block to block on these little ~two foot square islands dotted all over the water. If you missed a landing, you were in the pond soaking wet. I remember my cousin falling in once. What a hilarious way to make a playground. Would have been around 1981 it was like that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #1476
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the old children’s zoo
It had the boat and some weird big house thing you could also play in
I’ve found few photos of what it was like but I remember it well
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #1477
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Are you old enough to remember when the zoo had a playground that was on water? Like you'd play around on this big fake boat or something, then you'd jump from block to block on these little ~two foot square islands dotted all over the water. If you missed a landing, you were in the pond soaking wet. I remember my cousin falling in once. What a hilarious way to make a playground. Would have been around 1981 it was like that.

I feel like I remember the boat, but that the pond around it was empty. Wasn’t it part of the “kid’s zoo”? About where the cafeteria is now, across from the greenhouse. This big old wooden structure with a slide, some petting zoo animals, and a display of the contents of an animal’s stomach. The animal had died as a result of ingesting kilos of items tossed into its enclosure. I can’t remember the specific animal (maybe a seal or sea-lion?) but it had eaten pounds of coins and balloons and all kinds of crap. The message was “don’t throw things in the enclosures.”

The boat I remember looked like it once had some exhibits you could see through little portholes, but in my memory they were either empty or blocked, there was nothing in them. As a young kid in the mid-to-late 80s it was kinda creepy.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #1478
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I can't deny that the updated zoo is certainly more... modern than the old zoo. That polar bear building was pretty sad by the end when it was pretty much empty, with a couple seals being its only residents... It is mostly nostalgia for my favourite place to be when I was a kid.

That said, the new primate building basically cuts the grounds in half, it barely has anything in it and its un necessarily massive. I liked the zoo better when the layout was a bit more spread out, instead of basically crowding everyone into just two areas. Just seems like a waste of all that space. The African section is well done but its really just comparing one big cement hole with another. Though I always felt bad for those hippos in the old mammal house, I was pleased to see they incorporated the lion den rocks into the new exhibit instead of getting rid of it, but it was a lot more fun when it was a park.

When it comes to animal welfare, I appreciate the steps that Calgary Zoo has taken in the areas of conservation and their off site activities with whooping cranes, burrowing owls etc are admirable but they still has massive issues with zoo layout, ie cougars, bears and wolves in eyeshot of moose and deer, ditto for lions and zebras. These issues were raised during the last renovations and not addressed, so I'm not sure how much better off most of the animals are off now besides maybe a modest upgrade in living space and a few extra woodchips. I remember the abject misery that that last polar bear seemed to be in before it died. I don't object to animals being moved on if thats whats deemed appropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
That Zellers was so dumpy. If I'm remembering correctly they had one of their diners on the inside.
By the end of that store's existence, it was the saddest place in town.

I also live in Harvest Hills and have Mother's every couple of weeks. Still awesome pizza, can confirm.

Last edited by Bs&Cs; 01-26-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Bs&Cs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #1479
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
-Used to go to the 7-11 on Fairmount, in the summer with my mom on the way to the video store. I think its an A-1 now but it was a pet hospital at one time.
The pet hospital is still beside the A-1, formally the 7/11 which was there for as long as I can remember (mid 80's)
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #1480
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

What's the name of that incredible cookie place in Chinook mall??

New York Fries still a thing? A guy in Gilbert who used to run a franchise opened up a Poutine shop near my house.

Made me so happy
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time