Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default iPhone 4 Super Thread: iOS 4.2 Released. Find my iPhone now free

There will probably be lots of availability, upgrade and general questions in the coming weeks and months, so let's keep it all in one place.

Release date: July 30
Preorder info not out yet

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 11-22-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Updated first post with current info!
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

FanIn80...back away from the ledge.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone found a way to scam rogers/fido for an upgrade if you got the 3gs last year? AT&T gave their customers who got the 3gs an early upgrade, however my theory on that is its going to verizon in the fall so they wanted to lock up as many customers for as long as possible.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

We shall survive. Apple doesn't want to have the same thing happen globally as what happened with the pre-orders in the US.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The ability to upgrade from a 3GS and the volume of people who couldn't upgrade last year from their 3G's pretty much ensured this was going to be a cluster**** of pre-orders. I would doubt if Rogers will be as amicable as AT&T when it comes to upgrade availability for 3GS users, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm going to try and stick with my 3GS until next years model comes out. I'm trying to sell my wife on it, but I can see her going for the cheaper 3GS.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I shattered my iPhone 3G screen and I'm just waiting to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I really hope it's not delayed.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I will call 10 CSR's if it that's what it takes to get the upgrade. Why wouldn't they want to keep a long time customer?
I am not in a hurry, though, so patience might be key.
3G here,BTW.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read they were estimating between 8-10 million 4th gen iPhones sold this quarter...did I mention that Apple only has 6 days left in this quarter after the launch of the iPhone (June 30).

I was trying not to believe my buddy, but his estimation that the iPhone won't be released to Canada until September is looking to be more of a reality.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh, I can't upgrade till mid to late August anyways.

Excellent.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
FanIn80...back away from the ledge.
I'm going with him. Goodbye cruel world. AAPL hits 52 week high last I checked.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And just after a guy at Rogers told me I most likely qualify for the upgrade price from my 3G...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...I can't wait...
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

After the iPad release got delayed for us, I'm not really surprised anyway.

Edit: Oh gidn't see this in another thread but the thing has half a gig of RAM. Double the 3G/3GS. And roughly the size of the hard drive of my first computer. =P

Last edited by kyuusei; 06-20-2010 at 10:08 AM.
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

People all over the world right now are having their pre-orders bumped or downright canceled. Demand is way more than Apple was expecting. They sold 600,000 phones on the first day alone.
Quote:
Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple's new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock.
Edit: And yes, it does suck that we have to wait longer. But it's tempered by the knowledge that Rogers probably isn't going to allow early upgrades anyway.

Edit: Now with 17.8% less confusion.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It looks likes the phones are shipping out early. My husband's is scheduled to arrive Monday via Fed Ex. AT&T won't let me upgrade so I won't get one yet. They're only allowing current iPhone customers to upgrade early if their normally scheduled upgrade is in 2010. Mine isn't until February 2011, which is fine, I'm still not sure if I really like the iPhone.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
It's not being delayed, they just can't make enough.
I can't believe you just said it wasn't being delayed, then stated why it's being delayed right after.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I can't believe you just said it wasn't being delayed, then stated why it's being delayed right after.
I don't think it takes a degree in Rocket Surgery to figure out what I meant. I'll fix it for you so you can focus on the important part of my post, though. No point getting you lost in irrelevancy.

()

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it takes a degree in Rocket Surgery to figure out what I meant. I'll fix it for you so you can focus on the important part of my post, though. No point getting you lost in irrelevancy.
)
My god, it's impossible to talk to you about Apple products, you're like an Oiler fan defending the Oilers are all costs. So damn defensive.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
My god, it's impossible to talk to you about Apple products, you're like an Oiler fan defending the Oilers are all costs. So damn defensive.
Well come on man, what do you expect me to say?

You're like that dude who keeps poking someone in the eye and then acts completely surprised when the other guy pokes you back. It wasn't very difficult to figure out what the point of my post was, why bother trying to make me look like an idiot over something silly like that?

I'm a pretty easy guy to get a long with. I don't go out of my way to try to make other people feel stupid, but I will answer back when someone does it to me.

I think that's a fairly normal rule to live by.

Edit: Besides, my bit about irrelevancy (if you clicked on the link) was actually rather humorous. Well... in a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek kinda way.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-20-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well come on man, what do you expect me to say?

I just found it hilarious that you said it isn't being delayed, then explained why it was delayed.

Quote:
Edit: Besides, my bit about irrelevancy (if you clicked on the link) was actually rather humorous. Well... in a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek kinda way.
I suppose it was humorous, if it made any sense at all. All it did was just show more annoying fanboy-ism. I've never owned anything with the android, I'm posting from my touch, and I plan on getting an iphone 4.

The hilarious joke just showed more defensiveness... "oh no, I think he may have kinda sorta maybe slighted apple... attack!".
Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I just found it hilarious that you said it isn't being delayed, then explained why it was delayed.

I suppose it was humorous, if it made any sense at all. All it did was just show more annoying fanboy-ism. I've never owned anything with the android, I'm posting from my touch, and I plan on getting an iphone 4.

The hilarious joke just showed more defensiveness... "oh no, I think he may have kinda sorta maybe slighted apple... attack!".
Oh... well I didn't realize you were joking in your initial post. I apologize for not getting it. In my defence, though, it wasn't exactly obvious... and the Android thing wasn't about you, but it was pretty funny. To me, at least. (Attention Android Fanboys: No, I don't think Android is irrelevant, that's what makes it funny.)

Anyway, it's all good. You don't post in a lot of these threads, so maybe I just haven't figure out your sense of humour yet. I get comments like that from people all the time, and they are actually quite serious about them, so I figured you were doing the same.

Edit: I still haven't figured out how people keep saying things that aren't actually funny, and I keep looking like an ***hole for not getting the joke.

"You suck!"
"No I don't."
"Whatever, fanboy. Learn to take a joke."

Very baffling, indeed.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors