Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default iPhone on Rogers - General iPhone on Rogers / Fido discussions

So totally random story, but I went to game three on a spur of a moment decision on a single ticket and was unbelievably impressed with the person beside me and his iPhone. I'm a fan of mac but the phone literally blew me away..so I'm now thinking of getting one but am curious on it all works.

What are some average data usage for canadian users? I'm totally expecting to get raped for data charges but it definitely makes it look like its worth it. Would 10mb be enough? I currently have the 10 mb for 10 dollars which is sweet and so far they haven't noticed my unlocked Nokia 61i or it hasn't caused any problems.

How does the map function work? Is it comparable to say blackberry maps? In regards to updates and such, is it hard to do an update once somebody has hacked the new one? Should I be concerned with syncing it with iTunes at all (i'm guessing turn off auto updates, etc.)?

If anyone have anymore info or if this is buried in a thread somewhere I'd love to see it.

Thanks CP
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For data, 10MB will be NOTHING.. you don't notice it on your Nokia because you're browsing WAP sites and they all keep data to a minimum. If you're using the iPhone, you'll blow past that in one day surfing the web because it uses a normal Safari web browser, not the hampred mobile ones loading tiny sites. Heck one page of CP can be 350KB. The page without images alone is 150KB. 66 refreshes, and you're done your 10MB

Of course there's the wifi which is good so if you are disciplined and stick to wifi only unless it's a dire need then that'd be one way to mitigate that.

Map function works by cell site sector so it's just a general locate not a GPS locate, not familiar with blackberry maps but I think the iPhone uses Google maps so it should be similar.

I've heard the latest jailbreaks are quite complete but there's always going to be the cat and mouse game of updates vs. cracks, as you say you can just not upgrade until you know it's safe.

The rumour is that new data plans are coming from Rogers in May (rumours on Howardforums) and 3G iPhones are coming in June so I'm waiting before I jump.. either for the iPhone to be officially launched in Canada, or at least until I can get a 3G version (which has much faster data transfer speeds) and a better data plan.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

this kind of relates to my other thread photon.

If i had a bberry, how much would one CP page "cost" me in terms of data?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
photon

Exp:

Well each page can be 2-300KB including everything, tough because the phone should cache some images after the first each one after that should be less, 150KB or so.

If you use the archive view you can strip that way down:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/archive/index.php

20-40KB per page there it looks like.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very interesting. Is there anything that runs in the background that uses data (ie. weather/stocks, etc.)?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
photon

Exp:

I don't think so, if there is I'm sure there'd be an option to turn it off (not sure tho, don't have one yet )
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

i guess that's what i dont get, who scales their websites down for blackberry and who doesn't. this whole data charge thing seems like it could add up pretty quick
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Hmm.. maybe you were sitting beside me then.

Anyways on my iPhone I don't even have a data plan, The wi-fi works great and I never really have the need for data. I believe you have to set something up on your iPhone for data because its set up for EDGE or something. I remember reading something about it where someone in Canada used the EDGE and had a rogers data plan but the phone thought it was an american phone so it charged him as if he was from the states using rogers data, came out to something like a 1,000.00 bill or something.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Hmm.. maybe you were sitting beside me then.
Section 228?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
photon

Exp:

I've found enough places where my wifi with my iPod Touch isn't available that I know I really want a good data plan before I get an iPhone. I know myself; I'd bankrupt myself with data charges.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Total Nick Fleehart
Minutes used: 1175
Data Kb used: 154,903
Cost:112.99
Usage charges: 19.92
Total Bill with taxes: 144.62

Theres the bill on my iphone, looks like it was a light data use month for me but that gives you an idea for an iphone, of course its on at&t
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The key to having an iPhone in Canada - have your company pay for your phone bill each month
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Should I be concerned with syncing it with iTunes at all (i'm guessing turn off auto updates, etc.)?

I like the itunes feature becaue you can turn on and off the auto updates. But you dont have to put your who itunes library on your iphone. You just click what playlists you want to move to your iphone
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Total Nick Fleehart
Minutes used: 1175
Data Kb used: 154,903
Cost:112.99
Usage charges: 19.92
Total Bill with taxes: 144.62

Theres the bill on my iphone, looks like it was a light data use month for me but that gives you an idea for an iphone, of course its on at&t
Lol, so 150MB used, jar_e uses the 10MB for $10, then gets charged 5 cents a KB after that. For a bill of $7000.

Yay Canada!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll stick with the Pearl 8130 with GPS and Telus unlimited browsing for $15. As much as that bigger screen appeals, I don't see Rogers coming up with a data plan that touches Telus' right now. Not to mention the fact that I get my work email, home email and gmail all pushed to my phone with the bberry. I regularly use over 200 Mb per month and my bill is always the same fir data .... $15

If Rogers does match it, I will consider the Iphone, but I would want to see how stable it is and how well the email funcationality works first. Also, my understanding is that Telus EVDO is about three times faster on average for data than EDGE. From what I understand the EVDO is also slightly faster than the UMTS systems (especially on average) that most GSM carriers will go to as their 3G system.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
photon

Exp:

Yeah think you are right about the speed thing, though in Calgary Fido must use HDSPA because I get a 3.5G icon on my N95 and download speeds are insane when I've tried it.

I'd switch for the data plan, but I hate contracts and I like switching my phone all the time.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #17
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah think you are right about the speed thing, though in Calgary Fido must use HDSPA because I get a 3.5G icon on my N95 and download speeds are insane when I've tried it.

I'd switch for the data plan, but I hate contracts and I like switching my phone all the time.
Wow, I never looked at the N95 before, it's got some pretty cool features. I would guess that you are right about HDSPA, which I would assume also means that Rogers would be using it as well since Fido uses Rogers equipment right? Maybe CDMA woun't have the lead as long as I thought. (or at all??)
Old 04-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #18
photon

Exp:

Yeah it's pretty cool, but after having my m600i which has an awesome keyboard and using the keyboard on my iPod touch, I hate the normal keypads now.

The N95 is awesome, I'm using it, but I hate it. If it had a decent keyboard it'd be the best phone I've ever used (it's a phone from work).
Old 04-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah it's pretty cool, but after having my m600i which has an awesome keyboard and using the keyboard on my iPod touch, I hate the normal keypads now.

The N95 is awesome, I'm using it, but I hate it. If it had a decent keyboard it'd be the best phone I've ever used (it's a phone from work).
You got an n95 from work? Where do you work?

Funny thing is I went from a p1i to a n82. I would go for a n95-4 only if I could get a good data plan. Slingbox + n95 would be great for watching hockey when not at home.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #20
photon

Exp:

I work for a company that develops games and apps and stuff for mobile devices, so we usually have a pretty good set of handsets.

Had to get a few N95's as we were in a few competitions that required the entries to be on N95's. Good development phones too.