Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #1101
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Do you listen to the FAN?

How can a local radio station talk about the need for another winger and list the Jagr's, Vaneks's, Chiasson's, and Stafford's but gloss over the greatest player in franchise history?
Fan960 spoke about Iginla, basically said it would be a huge distraction
Old 08-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #1102
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Do you listen to the FAN?

How can a local radio station talk about the need for another winger and list the Jagr's, Vaneks's, Chiasson's, and Stafford's but gloss over the greatest player in franchise history?
But you think someone from the Flames, had a meeting with the Fan, and told them not to discuss Iginla so that fans don't get excited?
Old 08-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #1103
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
But you think someone from the Flames, had a meeting with the Fan, and told them not to discuss Iginla so that fans don't get excited?
A simple phone call from Burke to Kirsh stating they will not pursue Iginla so refrain from the discussion since there is a large portion of the fanbase that are hoping for a reunion.

Francis went from taking about s reunion at the trade deadline to stating it won't happen. The rest of the on air personalities don't discuss him as an option.

I find it weird they never discuss him when he is one of the better fits for what the Flames are looking for.

Outside of a few orange Julius stories in this thread Iginla to the Flames is pretty much never mentioned.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #1104
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I LOVE Iginla, but he's not much of a fit. He's old and slow and would need tremendous sheltering at ES to be a contributor. Jagr's still in incredible shape and has his wheels, for the most part.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #1105
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I LOVE Iginla, but he's not much of a fit. He's old and slow and would need tremendous sheltering at ES to be a contributor. Jagr's still in incredible shape and has his wheels, for the most part.

Jagr is slow, let's not muddy the waters here. I'd say with some confidence that in a race, Iginla would beat Jagr without much issue.

Jagr's game remains quite effective despite his lack of speed. His ability to protect the puck and read the play is the key to his game.

I also think Iginla is going to impress people this season by having a bit of a bounce back year.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #1106
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy has more footspeed than Jagr at this point. Jagr is better at protecting the puck and isn't as susceptible to being hemmed in the defensive zone
Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #1107
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another reason I thought there might be some validity to the Iggy rumours is replacing the toughness we lost with Engelland. Even with the Kings Iggy was a boss out there.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #1108
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it is so much a case of the Flames would not entertain the possibility as much as I think Iginla wants nothing to do with the Flames anymore.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #1109
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think it is so much a case of the Flames would not entertain the possibility as much as I think Iginla wants nothing to do with the Flames anymore.
This kind of #### grinds my gears.

Like how the hell could you possibly know this unless Iggy is your brother in law or something.

He is currently UNEMPLOYED and looking for a contract. He has stated he wants to continue playing. If only one team (Flames) offer him a deal, he'll thumb his nose at them because "he wants nothing to do with them"? Give me a break.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #1110
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Like how the hell could you possibly know this unless Iggy is your brother in law or something.

He is currently UNEMPLOYED and looking for a contract. He has stated he wants to continue playing. If only one team (Flames) offer him a deal, he'll thumb his nose at them because "he wants nothing to do with them"? Give me a break.
Can you read? I said "I think", not I have a source. Chill.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #1111
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Can you read? I said "I think", not I have a source. Chill.
It's legitimate to ask why you "think" that, though, isn't it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #1112
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

What if he just doesn't want to play in Calgary anymore for personal reasons? That's definitely a reason to 'thumb his nose at them' about. If Calgary is the only team that offers a contract, Iginla doesn't have to take it. i don't think the dude is in dire straits here.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #1113
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
It's legitimate to ask why you "think" that, though, isn't it?
Well the player did say last season he had no interest in returning according to Burke. Sure, he may have changed his mind since then but it is my feeling that he has walked away from that chapter of his career and really does not want to deal with all the media/hype that would come with a return. I could be wrong, just what I am thinking. The fact that the Flames could do really well from a media/marketing point of view if they were to bring him back and are instead strongly rumoured to be pursuing a different RW vet is also a reason to make me think that maybe Tre already touched base with Iginla's camp and they are still not really interested in returning.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #1114
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that if Iggy had wanted to play for Calgary, we would have had a deal by now. I don't really think he has interest imo. But I'd love to be wrong and see him in the Flaming C for one more season. Though, does he have any interest in playing for the Olympic team?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #1115
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

So this idea is all but dead I fear. There is no doubt in my mind that the Flames have interest in a veteran RW. Clearly they have spoken to Doan and Jagr agents at some point. I think the cap space after Bennett is the biggest reason, as I've stated previously as to why nothing with Jagr, Doan or Iginla has become even realistic. But clearly they are kicking the tires on a vet and if the money made sense they likely would get serious. Jagr to me has value but iginla makes a wonderful potential story line no matter what the season brings. Yea there could be a circus story involved with that too. But I want it to happen. Just don't think it will at this point but once Bennett signs we'll see. That's if Iginla wants to play at all. Which he said he did but maybe he's close to the same point as Doan now. We'll see.

Last edited by jlh2640; 08-31-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #1116
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Stauffer says he is not getting any indications that Iginla to the Oilers is going to happen.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...monton-rumours
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #1117
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really would love to see Iggy play for the Flames again. But, at the same time I feel that it would be a big let down from the way we remember him. I know that in reality he's older, slower, his timing isn't 100%, etc., but, you know, the heart wants to see him in his glory again, going all out for his Flames (and that would happen a few times). I'm really torn.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #1118
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Stauffer says he is not getting any indications that Iginla to the Oilers is going to happen.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...monton-rumours
Thank the Maker.

I wouldn't want to ever see that happen. Iggy was my childhood hero.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #1119
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

He needs to follow his buddy Doan and hang them up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #1120
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
He needs to follow his buddy Doan and hang them up.
I agree, play in the Olympics and then call it a career.
Closed Thread