Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Backlund and Brodie

For

Duchene, 2018 2nd, 2019 1st

Make the Flames much worse which will likely gift the Islanders a far better first round pick?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #2462
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I hate agreeing with GoJetsGo but the Avs would seriously hang up the phone and laugh at Ferland, Fox, and Gillies for Duchene. A third line RWer and two long shot prospects for Duchene?

If that's all it took they'd have traded him long time ago.
3rd line RWer and two long shot prospects? I doubt they'd be interested in that deal but your characterization of the Flames players and prospects is laughable.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #2463
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
3rd line RWer and two long shot prospects? I doubt they'd be interested in that deal but your characterization of the Flames players and prospects is laughable.
You think currently Ferland is anything more than a third line RWer? Gillies can't even take an AHL starter job and he's not a long shot? Fox hasn't even played a professional game yet.

Some of the homer opinions on Flame players is sad. Reminds me of Oiler fans opinions in their non playoff years.

Fox and Gillies are long shot prospects to anyone who follows prospects and just doesn't call themselves a draft expert on the Internet.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #2464
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's wrong with being a 3rd line player? Just because calgaryblood says that doesn't mean he meant it as a slight.

And it's hard to argue Ferland isn't a third liner.. he's played two full seasons and has point totals of 18 and 25. The mark for 2nd line is surely higher then that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #2465
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can almost see it happening where Sakic holds out for so long on moving Duchene, only to finally make a move that sees him get completely schooled by a saavy, patient and persistent GM like Treliving that leaves other GMs grumbling with sound bites we've heard before about how they would've offered more if only they knew.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #2466
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah don't see what's wrong with calling a 25 year old who has never broken 25 points a third liner.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #2467
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
That is likely how the rest of the league views them, and that matters for trade value
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #2468
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think currently Ferland is anything more than a third line RWer?
Ferland would have a place on the top four wing spots of most teams in the league. Guys with his package of discipline, hockey sense, hands, skating, size, and physical dominance are unicorns.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #2469
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Ferland would have a place on the top four wing spots of most teams in the league. Guys with his package of discipline, hockey sense, hands, skating, size, and physical dominance are unicorns.
And he will start this season on the top line.

No question his past stats say 3rd liner, but it's what he is going to be going forward that matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #2470
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Ferly a lot and think he has potential to be top six player... but his placement on the top line speaks more to our lack of depth at RW than anything else.

He's shown flashes there but he'll need to be consistent to stay there. I hope he can because he's a great package if he puts it all together.

I like all three Flames pieces discussed on the last page and am glad we have them. I just don't think they're close enough to what will ultimately land Duchene.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #2471
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'd love to see that list!

Hockey sense, hands, skating.. unicorn? Okay, it's obvious you like him but there is no need for such ridiculous hyperbole. That kind of stuff ends up in opposing fans signatures.

Ferland's hockey sense is okay I guess, not a strong suit. Really great shot but not good hands for setting up plays, carrying it etc, he's a triggerman. Skating? He's a good skater for his size but beyond that it's good, not beyond that.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #2472
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that package doesn't get it done.

Even though, in 2 years, Duchene could be gone, Ferland could be a top 6 winger for them, and Fox could be a budding star, and we get completely hosed on the deal.

Nonetheless, no way would that package get us Duchene.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #2473
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland is one of the fastest skaters on the team. Why is he invisible to some posters in this regard?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #2474
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 or 3 people earlier were mentioning possibly trading Stajan (or Brouwer) to the Avs earlier because of the Duchene thing. I don't see it as any possibility right now. At all.

I think Stajan still has clearly more value to this team than any other team. I don't think Stajan has any value to any other teams right now because 1) his contract for what he now is, 2) he's getting up there in age, and 3) his game is in decline.

I mean, think about other players that are in a similar age range AND hockey ability of Stajan. Here's a few of those guys who come to my mind:

Chris Kelly
Brooks Laich
Jay McClement
John Mitchell
Drew Miller
PA Parenteau
Teddy Purcell
Scottie Upshall
Daniel Winnik

Yeah, those guys are all struggling to stay in the NHL and all of those (with the possible exception of Parenteau & Winnik) have a very slim chance of regaining an NHL job.

So before you think Stajan likely has any value to other teams right now, consider the plight and value of those guys.

Besides, this team doesn't need Duchene anyway.

Last edited by Karl; 09-14-2017 at 08:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #2475
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

All this Ferland talk but has anyone mentioned how fast he gets that puck off his stick? Scary fast release.

On topic - the Flames don't have what the Avs want. Not right now.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #2476
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think currently Ferland is anything more than a third line RWer? Gillies can't even take an AHL starter job and he's not a long shot? Fox hasn't even played a professional game yet.

Some of the homer opinions on Flame players is sad. Reminds me of Oiler fans opinions in their non playoff years.

Fox and Gillies are long shot prospects to anyone who follows prospects and just doesn't call themselves a draft expert on the Internet.
Jesus.

I literally just watched a long feature segment on Adam Fox on the NHL network. They compared him to Kevin Shattenkirk and had interview after interview where teammates and coaches were astonished by his level of playmaking ability. He pushed Harvard to one of their best seasons ever and they were in the Frozen Four because of his contributions.

Ok, so we're hedging bets because he's still in college? I mean, there's no other players we drafted that went to college who turned out to be good pros, right? Who could blame us for being skeptical?

The thing with being a pessimist is that, on average, you'll be right far more than you're wrong. The problem with being a pessimist is you'll fail to enjoy anything in life because you'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's a miserable existence.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #2477
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And he will start this season on the top line.

No question his past stats say 3rd liner, but it's what he is going to be going forward that matters.
Good scoring stats with Ferland on the first line would be a bonus but he's there because of what he provides for the other two players by being a physical distraction and maybe some protection.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #2478
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Good scoring stats with Ferland on the first line would be a bonus but he's there because of what he provides for the other two players by being a physical distraction and maybe some protection.
That negates nothing. The most important words in your comment were 'he's there'
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #2479
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah don't see what's wrong with calling a 25 year old who has never broken 25 points a third liner.
I think the original comment was bang on, that trade would not happen
Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #2480
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Jesus.

I literally just watched a long feature segment on Adam Fox on the NHL network. They compared him to Kevin Shattenkirk and had interview after interview where teammates and coaches were astonished by his level of playmaking ability. He pushed Harvard to one of their best seasons ever and they were in the Frozen Four because of his contributions.

Ok, so we're hedging bets because he's still in college? I mean, there's no other players we drafted that went to college who turned out to be good pros, right? Who could blame us for being skeptical?

The thing with being a pessimist is that, on average, you'll be right far more than you're wrong. The problem with being a pessimist is you'll fail to enjoy anything in life because you'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's a miserable existence.
You don't think an undersized d-man is a long shot? Jesus, It's not being a pessimist, it's realty.

Adam Fox doing well in college doesn't mean he's not a long shot prospect. Being undersized and a d-man makes him instantly a long shot prospect.

My point still remains Fox,Gillies and Ferland gets the phone hung up on the Flames, wouldn't you agree?
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread