Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #41
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks kinda...gross
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No interest in a 10 inch tablet whatsoever, especially one that ugly.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ugh. So much dead, useless space between the screen and the edge of the device...
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
Ugh. So much dead, useless space between the screen and the edge of the device...
Totally agree. If there is one thing the iPad mini did right is reducing the bezel size.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #45
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing has the best specs and display out of anything on the market. 1.7Ghz quad-core exnos 5250, 2GB of RAM and 2560x1600 resolution. Depends if people can live with a good experience on a crappy looking device. Price will also factor into it. If this thing is $350, lots of people will way more tempted to buy this over a $329 Ipad mini.

Lots of people said that the Galaxy SIII was hideous before it came out and it still sold an impressive number of units.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #46
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except the market for the mini would probably be more satisfied with the Nexus 7
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #47
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google's event unveiling these new Nexuses on Monday in NYC is now supposedly cancelled because of the hurricane running up the east coast.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #48
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rawr!! It's true, Google Nexus 4 available in Canada direct from Google no contract. 16GB option $359. Fastest phone on the market too for something the carrier would probably charge $599 for. Great for those going WIND, etc.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #49
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unreal price!

That's a great looking phone and for 359 I think i'll pick up a 32gb Nexus 7 tablet and still be ahead of the game money wise if I had the buy this phone from Telus, Bell or Rogers.

Great job Google, Can't wait to see reviews too of course.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #50
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Rawr!! It's true, Google Nexus 4 available in Canada direct from Google no contract. 16GB option $359. Fastest phone on the market too for something the carrier would probably charge $599 for. Great for those going WIND, etc.
I'm actually considering going to Mobilicity....

They have a all in $30, hard to beat that! Anyone know how their reception is?
Now they have a good priced phone, I may have to jump ship. Wish Mobilicity have trial phones you can borrow for a week and see how their reception is.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #51
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Fastest phone on the market too
Fastest at what? Waiting for web pages to finish loading? Love me some LTE.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #52
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Fastest at what? Waiting for web pages to finish loading? Love me some LTE.
Well, he's speaking of processing power but you knew that.

The Nexus 4 is hspa+ which isn't lte but is 4G and faster then normal 3G networks. I'm totally fine with this, until the next spectrum auction my provider doesn't have LTE. LTE is also a huge battery drainer as Galaxy Nexus and eventually iPhone users found out.

The price is out of this world though, can't be understated how well Google is pricing these things now. The ability to buy it unlocked directly from Google is another win.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #53
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Should I expect to just be able to fire my sim card from my previous phone (HTC Desire - Telus) and everything will work fine? Or do I need to talk to Telus?
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #54
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
Should I expect to just be able to fire my sim card from my previous phone (HTC Desire - Telus) and everything will work fine? Or do I need to talk to Telus?
if you buy it directly from google, it will be unlocked and your sim will work (assuming google is building these phones to support all the different bands)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #55
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shame they couldn't have an conference today would have been nice to have video to go along with these announcements.

Here is a round up from Mobilesyrup.com
-new 32gb Nexus 7 Tablet
-new Nexus 4 Phone
-new Nexus 10 tablet

Start with the Nexus 4
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/29/go...november-13th/

Quote:
Now official. As for specific details: runs OS 4.2 Jelly Bean, has a 1.5GHz Quad-Core processor, 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus display with a resolution of 1280 x 768, 2GB RAM, 8GB and 16 variants, 8.0MP camera and a 1.3MP front-facing camera, wireless charging, NFC, 2,100mAh battery, 139 grams and 9.1mm thin.

Canadians will be able to score this handset on November 13th for $309 for the 8GB model, and $359 for the 16GB model via Google Play store. Yes, it’ll be unlocked.
From Google press release...
Quote:
Built for speed
Nexus 4 comes with a cutting-edge Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro processor, so you’ve got speed and power to spare. Zip around the web, experience rich 3D graphics and gameplay, and effortlessly switch between multiple apps without ever missing a beat. With 2GB of RAM and the fastest version of Android ever, Nexus 4 is the snappi-est Nexus smartphone yet.
Quote:
Nexus 4 is sold unlocked and is GSM/HSPA+ compatible so it will operate on more than 200 network providers worldwide. Just pop in a supported SIM card and be up and running in no time. It will be available to purchase in both an 8GB version and a 16GB version on Google Play™ starting November 13
Nexus 10 tablet
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/29/go...-model-is-409/

Quote:
The Samsung-manufactured tablet comes with “the world’s highest resolution tablet display,” as well as tablet-focused features in Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. In addition to the incredible 2560-by-1600 pixel screen, this will be the first tablet featuring Samsung’s dual-core Exynos 5 SoC, which is based on ARM’s next-generation Cortex-A15 chipset.

Android 4.2 comes with multi-user support, which is great for tablets, as well as a new home screen layout, taking cues from the Nexus 7. It’s simplified — gone is the complicated bottom right Settings menu — and features a new keyboard that has Swype-like capabilities.

Aside from the sharp screen and new SoC, which also features a brand new ARM Mali T604 GPU, is a 9000mAh battery; 2GB RAM; Gorilla Glass 2-covered LCD; MIMO Wireless-N for faster performance and better coverage; NFC; a micro USB and micro HDMI ports; and a bevy of sensors. There’s a 5MP camera on the back and a 1.9MP sensor on the front.

Now the 32GB Nexus 7 HSPA+, the wifi only version is the same price as the previous 16gb version! The 16gb version now goes to the 8gb one and the 8 gig is no longer.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/29/go...-13th-for-309/
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #56
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lighter, thinner, better resolution than iPad 4..... Impressive, price too.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #57
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain why you would want to purchase a Nexus 4 outright rather than doing something like WINDtab where 10% of your monthly bill goes towards paying off the phone?

I guess the only reason would be that you could switch from provider to provider no problem. But if you know that you are going to be with Wind for a while, I don't think there would be a reason not to do this, providing Wind puts it on their WINDtab plan.

Regardless, $359 is a pretty fantastic price.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #58
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Can someone explain why you would want to purchase a Nexus 4 outright rather than doing something like WINDtab where 10% of your monthly bill goes towards paying off the phone?

I guess the only reason would be that you could switch from provider to provider no problem. But if you know that you are going to be with Wind for a while, I don't think there would be a reason not to do this, providing Wind puts it on their WINDtab plan.

Regardless, $359 is a pretty fantastic price.
Where does it say that Wind will be selling it?

And holy crap. Was completely asleep on this. Didn't think Google would release it considering they canceled the event. At this price range, I'm really considering picking one up instead of a Note 2....Gah...such a difficult choice.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #59
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I've always preferred to own my own phone and not owe any carrier anything. I've only ever had one cell contract (with Telus) and I told myself never again. The WindTab is fine I suppose but I think you said it yourself... with that price I'd rather buy it outright from Google. You'll get the one-year warranty from them directly and with rumors of Google opening up a Nexus support line I'd just rather deal with Google directly then Wind.
Quote:
Regardless, $359 is a pretty fantastic price
Exactly, for me it's a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Where does it say that Wind will be selling it?

And holy crap. Was completely asleep on this. Didn't think Google would release it considering they canceled the event. At this price range, I'm really considering picking one up instead of a Note 2....Gah...such a difficult choice.
For me, it's the Nexus 4.

The Note 2 is 649 outright or 199 on a 3 year deal. The Nexus 4 is 349... out right. I also prefer to have stock Android on my devices as opposed to Android with whatever Samsung etc overlays on it. Hopefully Google gets better and more Apple like in update roll outs, if you have a Nexus device you get the timely updates and that should continue to improve.

I've had nothing but good things to say about my Nexus S... it's a two year old device now so it's time to upgrade and only loving what the Nexus line is doing more so that's the route I'm going.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #60
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If it only had more storage and/or a microSD card slot, it would be a complete no-brainer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: