Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
trooper song
ooh, good counter argument, even though they're drinving a chick car.

well played, sir
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #42
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
How about video streaming to a TV? And you aren't "locked in" to buy Apple products. Airplay enabled devices are now very common, even video streaming airplay is getting common with devices such as the Boxee Box.

That is one of my pet peeves, you don't have to buy apple peripherals, but they are designed to work together seamlessly and without hassle, why wouldn't you?
How many airplay enabled devices are there, that aren't built by Apple? And how many of those don't support DLNA?

I'd say DLNA streaming is more versatile than airplay, and I've found that works a lot better with my Android tablet than with my iPhone.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have both and iPhone 4 and a S3 and both are great devices.

If you want something that is simple to use but that you can still have full functionality with due to some killer apps go with an iPhone.

If you are somebody who is a little more tech savvy, wants to be able to have more customizable options, and likes the idea of not be closed by Apple's software then go with an Android.

It's at the point now where both ecosystems are great and will provide you with pretty much the same features, it really just comes down to preference and how much the individual is really going to play with the phone.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #44
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Why is the iPhone build quality better? Because it is heavier? I've taken apart two iPhones and two different Samsung phones and you know what? On the inside they are pretty much the same. I hate the plasitcy feel argument. The Captivate I dropped over a few dozen times is still kicking and running JB just lovely. The iPhone I dropped once from less than two feet sits in pieces in my desk drawer because it is effing useless. I know what one is of better quality.

I tried to like the iphone I really did. I used it for months but i just never felt right in my hands (I'm a bigger guy) and I hated the keyboard. I always went back to my captivate.

I'll admit I love tinkering with the Android ROMs and apps. I really enjoy Google music, Voice, Drive, Gmail Maps. I think they intergrate wonderfully. I think Now is the cats pajamas.

Really, there was nothing on the iphone that I couldn't do with android. But felt there was plenty I could do on android the ios couldn't.
Not directly related to build quality, but use of natural materials add to the perceived quality of a product. That's why high end kitchens use granite,stainless steel and wood instead of laminate, vinyl and melamine. Attention to detail is also an important quality for many people which is where iPhone has a significant edge over generic rectangular slabs of plastic.

That doesn't make it better for phoning or surfing but makes it a more enjoyable object to be using 24 / 7
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Not directly related to build quality, but use of natural materials add to the perceived quality of a product. That's why high end kitchens use granite,stainless steel and wood instead of laminate, vinyl and melamine. Attention to detail is also an important quality for many people which is where iPhone has a significant edge over generic rectangular slabs of plastic.

That doesn't make it better for phoning or surfing but makes it a more enjoyable object to be using 24 / 7
I never did achieve a 24/7 erection with my iPhone, what's your secret?

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #46
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
How many airplay enabled devices are there, that aren't built by Apple? And how many of those don't support DLNA?

I'd say DLNA streaming is more versatile than airplay, and I've found that works a lot better with my Android tablet than with my iPhone.
I have the opposite experience, airplay is the fastest, most seamless way I have found to get video streaming to the TV. DLNA through PS3 or Xbox 360 have always been a "pull" method, Airplay "pushes" the stream to the device.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #47
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
I never did achieve a 24/7 erection with my iPhone, what's your secret?
There's an app for that
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #48
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Sometimes it's good that a closed system keeps people from getting "creative".

http://fuglyandroid.tumblr.com/
lol I find this one particularly awesome for some reason:

Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #49
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just so glad there's finally a thread where we can discuss Apple vs. Android.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #50
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I'm just so glad there's finally a thread where we can discuss Apple vs. Android.
Look Mick don't kill all the fun, if you don't have anything negative to say then get the heyy out of this thread!
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #51
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of my biggest problems with Apple isn't even their product, it's their customers. Everyone has to have one because it's "the best", yet 90% of people who own an Apple anything can't tell you why this is. I'm not suggesting that this is a position that is mutually exclusive to iPhone owners but given their pervasiveness you run into it a lot.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #52
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Ah quit yer' whinin'...
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #53
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

True, but 90% of the iphones I see in use are either broken or have an awful case. I have about 50 iphones currently in circulation and there are not many that are not broken or that havealready been replaced because they were broken.

Quality is looks and durability. That'w why granite and wood are used.

And android can use airplay just fine.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #54
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
All right, I can't let that slip... Streaming music is seamless with iOS as long as you have an Airport Express or Apple TV(sound like intermediary devices to me) vs Android that requires an intermediary device?
The difference is that when you're streaming to an Xbox (at least last I was aware) you have to turn on your Xbox and your TV and browse through your library through that to play music. It's not like with an Airport Express or something that's always on and you can push music to it from your phone (or use your phone as a control to push music from a computer/server) whenever you want without getting up. That's a massive difference to me, as I can have whole house audio with multiple zones that can all be controlled natively from an iPhone or iTunes.

There are 3rd party options that match Apple's seamlessness for this (Sonos being probably the best example) but the cost is pretty prohibitive.

Quote:
I agree if you have lots of other Apple stuff and buy all your content from itunes, you'd be pretty dumb to get an Android phone. Lots of people don't want to get locked in to getting everything from Apple though.

BTW, my Onkyo receiver works completely seamlessly with the Android Onkyo app in a nice 2 way fashion of being able to control the receiver, see the displays on the app, control the Receiver's Pandora app, and stream music from my phone. That's about as slick as it gets, I'd say.
That is a good setup, but you're getting locked in there as well if you want to expand on it. If you want a single control for multiple setups you're just going to have to get another Onkyo receiver. For my stuff I also like to use some older audio gear which obviously isn't capable of DLNA, so that wouldn't really work.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #55
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
lol I find this one particularly awesome for some reason:

Stretch those boxes a bit and add color and you've got yourself a Windows phone.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #56
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Personally I never really 'hated' Apple till their most recent lawsuit against Samsung.

They have a great product. I don't think you can deny that. I just don't think that iOS6 comes close to JB, nor does the iPhone 5 come close to the S3.

I own a S1, and have modified it heavily just to keep up with the latest firmware upgrades. This has allowed me to extend the life of my phone by 3 years more than most.

That is mostly why I'll stick to Android products.

There is one other reason of course, and this probably breaks Apple for a lot of people who have actually used it.

SwiftKey. Hands down the best app ever made.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #57
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

[IMG]<removed, malware warning>[/IMG]
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #58
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Personally I never really 'hated' Apple till their most recent lawsuit against Samsung.

They have a great product. I don't think you can deny that. I just don't think that iOS6 comes close to JB, nor does the iPhone 5 come close to the S3.

I own a S1, and have modified it heavily just to keep up with the latest firmware upgrades. This has allowed me to extend the life of my phone by 3 years more than most.

That is mostly why I'll stick to Android products.

There is one other reason of course, and this probably breaks Apple for a lot of people who have actually used it.

SwiftKey. Hands down the best app ever made.
How about apple suing an online retailer in Poland

http://www.pcworld.com/article/26220...over_logo.html

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #59
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

this sums up the whole iPhone upgrade phenomenon quite well

Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #60
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
<removed, malware warning>
My favorite line in there is "a totally different plug" mixed in with all the technical jargon . Really, that is one of the more annoying things they do. Micro usb is a perfectly fine standard, and they just have to make their own while providing absolutely no advantage to the consumer. And no apple audio or video connectors will work anymore.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote