Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #61
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

We were there a couple weeks back for a wedding and it wasn't too bad....no where near what it is today in Calgary but I am sure a lot has changed.

Smack Dab was a lot of fun... better than average pub food but the location on the water doesn't get any better. Make sure you are sitting on the patio and grab a couple of couches. What was supposed to be a quick dinner turned into all night!

There is some bike tour we keep wanting to do which was an old rail line. I hear nothing but great things about it but it is 20-30 min outside of Kelowna (so I have been told).

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #62
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

we currently don't have any local evacuations in the kelowna area... but that can change in a heartbeat. a couple of stupid kids started a fire out in the glenmore area a couple weeks ago. had it not been for the insane fast response from the kelowna fire dept and bc forestry it would have been devastating.

and i sure hope you like smoke... like a lot of it.

today is the first day in almost 2 weeks that i can sorta-kinda see the westside.

normal view from my place:
IMG_6177 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i just took this (friday, 3:15pm)
IMG_1225 by bc-chris, on Flickr

^^apparently this 'thinning' of the smoke will be short lived. the winds are supposed to shift this weekend and be more from the north (right now they are from the west). we're supposed to get waaaay worse smoke from the northern fires

it sucks becuz so much of the province is on fire that a change in the weather systems doesn't do a thing - just brings in more smoke for somewhere else in the province.

i've heard from a couple buddies that are big into hiking/mountain biking if you head up into the local mountains (like siverstar) you get above the smoke trapped in the valley and it's gorgeous!

if you (or anyone traveling with you) has asthma or any kind of respiratory issues it will likely not be a very pleasant trip

Last edited by bc-chris; 08-17-2018 at 04:28 PM.
bc-chris is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bc-chris For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #63
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is the current map from the bc wildfire service

fires by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 08-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #64
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so it got gross... really gross... last night

my band had an outdoor gig downtown last night and you could actually see the smoke blowing in from the north. it took about 15-20 minutes, but the sun went from and orange glob in the sky to completely gone. it's disgusting!

this is the view now from my place (2pm saturday)...
IMG_1496 by bc-chris, on Flickr

the weather forecast says it's supposed to stay like this for the foreseeable future. uuggghh!

oh... and EVERYTHING is covered in ash
Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #65
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the updates Chris! Unfortunately we’ve decided to change our trip, but the bride seems determined to go to emerald lake - in spite of the smoke.

We will hit Kelowna some other time
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #66
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
We will hit Kelowna some other time
I would suggest December.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #67
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone think end of September will be ok for smoke in Kelowna?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #68
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Anyone think end of September will be ok for smoke in Kelowna?
No matter how bad it gets, yes usually by then it is fine.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #69
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I was in Penticton for a few days and the smoke was bad, have been in Kelowna for the past 4 or 5 days and it was as bad or worse until today.........it's been terrible. Today took a real bad turn for the worst, I don't have any respiratory issues but am still noticing how hard it is on the lungs. Just really tough to breathe. Too bad, such a beautiful area at this time of year, but now you just want to stay inside. A real shame.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #70
Guest1

I’m here right now for a week vacation...it’s ugly here Hoping it gets better for a few days. They had to cancel the Canadian National Triathlon yesterday and today.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #71
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

As we vacation in the area each year to visit family, I can't get over how persistent this problem is. Even when the fires aren't seemingly everywhere, they're on people's minds all through the summer. People seem to love living there, but it would make me anxious.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We considered booking a Luau with Hawaiian Fire Dancers for our next trip to Kelowna, you know, the dancers that spin sticks that are on fire.

Strangely its in the middle of the forest, but hey, what could go wrong?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #73
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
As we vacation in the area each year to visit family, I can't get over how persistent this problem is. Even when the fires aren't seemingly everywhere, they're on people's minds all through the summer. People seem to love living there, but it would make me anxious.

I think it just depends on how much it bothers you. The smoke is annoying, sure, but none of the people I know that live in Kelowna or the Okanagan worry too much about it. It's not like it has been a persistent problem year after year. I don't even remember any smoky days prior to last year for the longest time. And no one I know has ever been under threat from the fires but that may depend on where you live.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #74
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Feel bad for the residents. Had to cut the holiday short and come back. Smoke was way to thick to do anything outside.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 08-20-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #75
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think it just depends on how much it bothers you. The smoke is annoying, sure, but none of the people I know that live in Kelowna or the Okanagan worry too much about it. It's not like it has been a persistent problem year after year. I don't even remember any smoky days prior to last year for the longest time. And no one I know has ever been under threat from the fires but that may depend on where you live.
You're correct, it isn't like downtown Kelowna is going to burn to the ground. The families we stay with though happen to live way too close to a forest. Should houses burn, theirs will be among the first.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #76
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rose's Waterfront Pub

14 mins ·

As you may now its with great sadness Rose's will be closing September 30th 2018 after 25 years in Kelowna, as appreciation to all our staff, guests and friends we are having a celebration all day Sunday September 16th, food and drink specials all day, live music starting around 3;00 featuring tsome bands from the past the "Zamboni brothers", "The Hip Replacements" around 5:00, The "Vicious Fishes" around 7;00 Band back together for this party! and closing the Night with the "Young'uns" our longest running house band. Hope to see you here!
Thank you everyone!!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #77
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That’s crazy. Place was kind of a landmark. I hope it’s going to remain a reasonably accessible patio joint.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #78
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I just had a beer there a couple weeks ago. I heard it will be a restaurant of some sort, guess we'll see. It's a great spot to sit in the sun and have a wobbly pop.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #79
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Fun fact: Rose is my wife's godmother. Nice lady.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #80
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

there was a story (last week i think) that apparently joey kelowna (used to be joey tomatoes waaaaaay back in the day) will be moving there.

roses was a blast - they had 'jam nights' on sundays and my band would head down and play a set or two - always fun!

oh... and the smoke is finally gone!!! it's been about a week so far now - so nice to be able to breath again (and take the kids outside to play!!)