Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #1241
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Some soccer blogger from vancouver posted a pic of tabla and davies and said he heard some good news. Then posted that he had a source saying tabla is committing to canada and wanted to play in toulon but his agent pulled him. Then deleted post #2.

Dunno how to embed tweets but account is @glasscityfc
Interesting, let’s hope he does. Him and Davies would be great building blocks for the future.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #1242
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't expect anything regarding Tabla until you see his name on a Canada Soccer roster.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #1243
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

So glad we capped Davies when he was 16.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #1244
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada's squad for CONCACAF Nations League qualifying against the US Virgin Islands. I love this squad because it includes arguably our stronger 11, and gives an opportunity to cap tie promising U23 players like David, Millar and Busti.

CANADA SQUAD
1- GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
2- FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | FRA / Olympique Lyonnais
3- CB- Manjrekar James | DEN / FC Fredericia
4- CB- Derek Cornelius | SRB / FK Javor Ivanjica
5- CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / Los Angeles FC
6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
8- M- David Wotherspoon | SCO / St. Johnstone FC
9- F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
10- W- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
11- F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
12- W- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
13- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC
14- W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23
15- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16- M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
17- FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18- GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
19- F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
20- F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
21- M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
22- GK- Alessandro Busti | ITA / Juventus Primavera
23- W- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas

Link: https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...1777-preview-1

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #1245
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love that roster... I can't believe Busti accepted a call-up at his age in the program he is in and not having grown up in Canada, that's a rarity.. what a huge opportunity to cap tie him and a couple others. Italy has had him at a couple of their youth international camps as well.

Also excited to see Jonathan David play with him destroying in Belgium at such a young age.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #1246
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, if anyone is wondering why Canada has only played 1 friendly in the 8 months Herdman was brought on, Herdman says they're getting their off the field things in order. In addition to that, it's damn expensive to arrange friendlies.

Quote:
"One of the things that we said that we would commit to was doing things with higher quality," Herdman told reporters by telephone on Thursday. "[Bringing] the elements of tactical and technical analysis that might have been missing. Bringing the mental performance aspects that might have been missing."

The English-born coach stressed quality over quantity in the team's preparation under his guidance thus far, especially as Canada was not involved with this summer World Cup in Russia.

"For me in this stage it's doing more with higher quality with the best players, so creating an environment and events that the top players really want to be involved in rather than skimping and scraping on a camp with staff missing or not being able to service the players at the level that they receive at clubs," he said.

Herdman also pointed to the prohibitive cost of getting players together for camps, especially with other programs under the Canadian Soccer Association umbrella also needing consideration. He noted the six-figure expense of previous training camps — Herdman quoted the recent Toulon U-21 tournament in France as costing the CSA upwards of $400,000 — may not always be worth their bloated price tags. Add in the new regional tournament, and it becomes even more of a balancing act, the coach said.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/socce...d159rcuzu6a03o

Old 08-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #1247
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Also, if anyone is wondering why Canada has only played 1 friendly in the 8 months Herdman was brought on, Herdman says they're getting their off the field things in order. In addition to that, it's damn expensive to arrange friendlies.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/socce...d159rcuzu6a03o
Sickening that the CSA is unapologetically once again using a good man in Herdman to be the one to trot out and deliver poor messages and make weak excuses. He's the coach of the team responsible for preparing a national team to not get beaten by 10 goals in less than 8 years, he's not the treasurer or administrative negotiatiator.

"Other CSA initiatives" likely includes regular "scouting"trips to Europe for a handful of CSA board members and week long executive retreats. This country is hosting a World Cup for the only time in most of our lifetimes, and participating in a World Cup, where you'd have to be 43 years old in 2026 to have ever remember watching Canada in a WC, and the CSA, who's going to get a massive massive check, is already penny pinching.

Last edited by browna; 08-30-2018 at 09:11 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #1248
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Today's match is being streamed on oz.com.

https://www.oz.com/concacafnationsle...d-70ac559e73cb

It's part of the website's free trial. I believe it is a beta version, so there might be glitches, but I can't imagine it being worse than DAZN.

Last edited by Mango; 09-09-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #1249
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jeebus, this lineup :

https://twitter.com/user/status/1038861926254735360

2 defenders and a hell of a lot of young offensive talent. Going all out for a lot of goals today. Nice to see three key young guys getting cap tied. Wouldn't mind seeing the young keeper go in for the second half if it's already over.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #1250
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

the entire tournament doubles as qualifying for the Gold Cup so need a lot of goals.

Cuba beat Turks & Caicos Islands 11-0

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #1251
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Feed's pretty good. Canada up 5-0 approaching halftime, David with a pair on his debut, Cavallini with a pair and Oso with the other. Surprised Larin isn't playing a bit, though they looking dominant as you'd expect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #1252
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Larin gets 2 in the 2nd half as Canada wins 8-0

now in 2nd place :P Top 6 go into League A. Top 10 qualify for the Gold Cup

https://www.flashscore.com/match/6a6...standings;live

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-09-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #1253
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

8-0 thrashing in a game where Canada needed to run up the score. David, Millar and Cornelius all cap tied. I'll take it!

Next up, Dominica in Toronto in October. I would like to see Brault-Guillard cap tied in that game, and plenty more goals to come.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #1254
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big news today, Ballou Tabla has decided to play for Canada!! Most excited I’ve ever been for Canadian soccer.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #1255
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Big news today, Ballou Tabla has decided to play for Canada!! Most excited I’ve ever been for Canadian soccer.
Huge news for Canada. It's so encouraging to be on the right side of some of these decisions now. I'm sure hosting 2026 is playing a role in that but it also builds on itself. Once a couple players make that choice it encourages others to follow.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #1256
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I did not see that coming at all. For anyone who #### on the decision to can Zambrano and bring in Herdman, I think you can officially give your head a shake.

A few years ago Canada didn't have a player in a top league in the world outside of Hutchinson. Now they have players at Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, Besiktas, Lyon, Gent and Puebla, all under the age of 26. If they get their CB depth sorted out, I think they can definitely make a run at the hex for 2022.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #1257
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Qualifying for 2022, or at least getting to the Hex, would be a huge boost going into 2026.

It is really encouraging that players are choosing Canada now. With so many people coming to Canada as immigrants, or having dual citizenship by virtue of their parents, it seems to finally be a benefit to Canadian soccer rather than a detriment.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #1258
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

man, Davies on the left and Tabla on the right for the next decade

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #1259
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Wow, I did not see that coming at all. For anyone who #### on the decision to can Zambrano and bring in Herdman, I think you can officially give your head a shake.

A few years ago Canada didn't have a player in a top league in the world outside of Hutchinson. Now they have players at Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, Besiktas, Lyon, Gent and Puebla, all under the age of 26. If they get their CB depth sorted out, I think they can definitely make a run at the hex for 2022.
Herdman doesn’t deserves all the credit for that.
Zambrano got the ball rolling, and then got the rug pulled out from him.

Judas ditching the the WNT before a World Cup to let them flounder in the after math was bush league.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #1260
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Herdman has done well in his limited run. Tough to fault him for leaving the women's program if that was a goal of his as he has said. If any of us got offered a job we wanted that we were worried might never arise again I think we'd do the same.

He apparently also had offers to manage mens teams in europe as well and the iron was hot for him... You've gotta balance loyalty with your own career goals and seize opportunities that might never arise again.

He put in 8 good years of service with the WNT and I am pleased with what he's done for the csa for both genders.