Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #21
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Why a curler would need to take a banned substance is beyond me...

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ils-drugs-test
Meldonium, when used as a performance enhancer, is used to adjust the body's use of energy, stamina, and endurance. The athlete was trying to be able to perform at a high level for a longer period of time. Mixed doubles curling had 7 round robin games, and then 2 medal games in 6 days. That's a lot of activity to put on your body in a short amount of time. Most people use natural supplements to aid in recovery and performance, but this cheated.

If you don't think that curling is a sport, or that it doesn't tax your body, you should try it sometime. Any sport can be nonathletic at the recreational level. At the Olympic level you need to be in phenomenal shape. It was no coincidence that Lawes and Morris won, and were the most physically fit team. Brad Jacobs' team won gold 4 years after winning the Canadian Trials. They aren't the most talented team, but they are in better shape than most, and used that to their advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the question would be whether doping would make you meaningfully better at curling given the risks associated with doping. I don't see it. It's not that it isn't athletic it's that the difference between doped and non doped is 1 or 2% in endurance activities and that difference in fitness is not moving the needle in curling like it does in XC skiing. Female curlers using steroids I could see being worth doing.

On the other hand if Russia is willing to send doped curlers that must mean all of their atheletes are doping.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

You didn't read the post above yours did you?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
You didn't read the post above yours did you?
I did, what in my post would make you think I didn't.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #25
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part where you completely ignored everything he wrote and decided a male curler wouldn't gain any benefit.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

It has long been said that the worst drug abusers in the Olympics have been in the shooting events. Where marksmen and women try to sneak in and take Beta-blocker hypertension control drugs to lower heart rate and reduce sympathomimetic (adrenalin) nerve firing.

There are drug cheaters in all sorts of competitive endeavors.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
The part where you completely ignored everything he wrote and decided a male curler wouldn't gain any benefit.
I addressed that point. A difference in 1 or 2% fitness is not moving the needle. The difference between Morris and Ferby results in a meausreable performance increase. The fact that the out of shape curler can still be competitive though it is a hindrance demonstrates the marginal gain from elite fitness to doped fitness is not moving the needle.

It's why you rarely see any doping violations in curling, the risk reward isn't there compared to say Cross Country Skiing where doping infractions are continuous.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #28
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^Lol, A sample and B sample both tested positive. Thats 100 percent....There is no reasonable doubt.
I never said I doubted he actually had drugs in his system...?
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #29
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Meldonium, when used as a performance enhancer, is used to adjust the body's use of energy, stamina, and endurance. The athlete was trying to be able to perform at a high level for a longer period of time. Mixed doubles curling had 7 round robin games, and then 2 medal games in 6 days. That's a lot of activity to put on your body in a short amount of time. Most people use natural supplements to aid in recovery and performance, but this cheated.

If you don't think that curling is a sport, or that it doesn't tax your body, you should try it sometime. Any sport can be nonathletic at the recreational level. At the Olympic level you need to be in phenomenal shape. It was no coincidence that Lawes and Morris won, and were the most physically fit team. Brad Jacobs' team won gold 4 years after winning the Canadian Trials. They aren't the most talented team, but they are in better shape than most, and used that to their advantage.
Thanks for the info. I looked up what meldonium does and figured it was for the increased fitness that you do need for the mixed doubles.

And I curled at a high level when I was of junior age
Cuz is online now   Reply With Quote