Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I remember in 2011, when so many people were sure he'd lost it....then he turned into a vampire.
What!?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #22
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It's funny to hear people saying Monahan's play has improved since Gaudreau started heating up

Since Game 42, Gaudreau's point-scoring pace has increased dramatically while Monahan's has actually tapered off a fair bit

Sure Monahan is scoring more goals lately but his overall production doesn't seem to be tied intrinsically with Gaudreau's

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #23
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's no surprise his play picked up the moment Gaudreau started getting hot as he's a complementary player that relies on a talented winger to drive the play and feed him the puck. Ideally you would prefer that the 1st line center drive the line and he doesn't do that. It's why we continue to have this discussion year after year. The team is definitely better with Monahan than without but I don't think any team will win a cup with Monahan as their 1st line center.
Chicken and egg. Sean has proven he's capable w/o Johnny (albeit rookie year for much of an extended sample size). What's the most JG has ever played without SM? I looked it up...

16-17' - SM w/o JG 10 straight games in mid Nov.: 2G 5P +2
Worth noting this involved 10 games in 16 nights (3 sets of back to backs, never more than 1 day rest until the 10th game; Flames managed to go 6-3-1 w/o JG).

17-18' - JG w/o Monahan (last 5 games of the season): 1G 2P -1 (both points came in 7-1 blowout the very last game against VGK, where Janko scored 4 goals...not sure if VGK was resting players, but they had nothing to play for)

In both cases all pts were EV.

Not really enough data to draw any big conclusions, but SM and the Flames did well enough w/o Johnny. Sean has never had a long enough absence during games that matter to make any judgments about Johnny.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #24
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Chicken and egg. Sean has proven he's capable w/o Johnny (albeit rookie year for much of an extended sample size). What's the most JG has ever played without SM? I looked it up...

16-17' - SM w/o JG 10 straight games in mid Nov.: 2G 5P +2
Worth noting this involved 10 games in 16 nights (3 sets of back to backs, never more than 1 day rest until the 10th game; Flames managed to go 6-3-1 w/o JG).

17-18' - JG w/o Monahan (last 5 games of the season): 1G 2P -1 (both points came in 7-1 blowout the very last game against VGK, where Janko scored 4 goals...not sure if VGK was resting players, but they had nothing to play for)

In both cases all pts were EV.

Not really enough data to draw any big conclusions, but SM and the Flames did well enough w/o Johnny. Sean has never had a long enough absence during games that matter to make any judgments about Johnny.
If I remember correctly, Monahan was almost scratched during this period. He didn’t play too well away from Gaudreau IMO and when they’re not together, I tend to think Monahan struggles because he doesn’t have that elite distributor to get him the puck in prime positions. If Monahan had better ability to create his own shot, he’d probably be a 40 goal scorer, but he doesn’t.

Gaudreau on the other hand is pretty darn elite than those numbers would suggest. Just watching him, his dynamic ability to create something out of nothing already speaks for itself. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen Gaudreau perform better than in the 2016 World Cup when he was paired with MacKinnon. Gaudreau may have arguably been the best player on the ice and that’s a list that includes the likes of McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and etc.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1232535906780958720

For mobile users:
Spoiler!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice Cruickshank article in the Athletic regarding Monahan;

https://theathletic.com/1648513/2020...oal-guarantee/

Some neat stats on all of his goals;

Quote:
Of the 194 goals, 152 have been bagged via the wrist shot/snap shot. Rounding out the total — 15 backhands, 14 tips, 10 slap shots, three deflections.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nice Cruickshank article in the Athletic regarding Monahan;

https://theathletic.com/1648513/2020...oal-guarantee/

Some neat stats on all of his goals;
Do they label them garbage versus non-garbage?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #28
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Just trolling the anti-Monahan crowd a bit more, don't mind me.

Spoiler!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: