Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So what do you want the rule to be in that situation? Trouba should be required to try and poke the puck?
I think it gets chalked up to unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #22
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good hit in my eyes. Keep your head up kids!
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a clean hit to me.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #24
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No suspension:

1) the first point of contact was the head. However the principal point of contact was the chest. Not an illegal hit

2) feet do not leave ice until after contact made

Looks 100% clean to me.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #25
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I have zero problem with that hit. The announcers saying he left his feet are ridiculous. He left his feet well after contact. Dude has his head down, Trouba glides into him and only hit the head because it was down in his chest. Pageau makes the suicide pass and drops the gloves to save face, imo.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #26
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I don’t know how you can penalize this “because - head contact” and just ignore the fact that someone always comes in to repeatedly strike the perpetrator in the head.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #27
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm torn.
Trouba was watching Dal Colle the entire time and could see that his head was down; I think he probably should have let up a little bit instead of completely blowing him up. There are ways to make the same play without injuring a guy.
But at the same time, Dal Colle has to have a little more awareness about where he is on the ice, and he has to know that you can't watch the puck like that.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I don’t know how you can penalize this “because - head contact” and just ignore the fact that someone always comes in to repeatedly strike the perpetrator in the head.
Because you have to. We no longer have the luxury to ignore the incredibly serious damage that multiple concussions cause, and short of removing hitting from the game entirely, measures like this will be necessary. A player who is still dumb enough to lead with his head like that while staring at the puck in his feet is going to get badly hurt, and there is probably nothing anyone can do about it. Enforcing a 2-min penalty (it is 2 mins, right?) is essentially the minimal response to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #29
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To me the hit looks predatory. Of course Dal Colle has his head down and is looking at the puck - he has just lost control of it. Trouba’s better play would be to try to take control of the puck and keep it in the offensive zone.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #30
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm interested in the league's response to this also. Dal Cole set himself up for it by having his head down for so long, but Trouba also had plenty of time to set up for the hit, yet head contact was still the primary point.

You still want big hits that gets the fans off their seats, but don't want the head to be the primary point of contact when it happens.

I could see Trouba getting displinced for this since the hit is in the danger territory due to head contact. In this new era of concussion awareness, hits like that aren't acceptable anymore.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #31
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never look at your feet when you have the puck in open ice.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #32
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Trouba jumped. Both feet off the ice. It’ll be a suspension, for sure. And it should be.
Pretty sure that's just momentum. His feet don't leave the ice until after the hit.

As much as you want to penalize headshots - the players have to be aware and protect themselves.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #33
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fence sitting I suppose, but to me the new rules mean you can still hit Dal Colle, but not with the intent to blow the guy up. The onus is on trouba to recognize he’s vulnerable (trouba definitely recognizes it) and not take advantage to destroy him (not so much).

Despite all the nonsense, I think Tkachuk showed this perfectly with meathead. Yes he was aggressive and hit him. He did it to embarrass, not injure.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #34
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm torn.
Trouba was watching Dal Colle the entire time and could see that his head was down; I think he probably should have let up a little bit instead of completely blowing him up. There are ways to make the same play without injuring a guy.
But at the same time, Dal Colle has to have a little more awareness about where he is on the ice, and he has to know that you can't watch the puck like that.
These are exactly my thoughts verbatim. I've always seen Trouba as a bit of a predator, and this further cements those thoughts. This is 100% a legal hit, but he doesn't need to do it to that level. It shows that he doesn't really respect the other players on the ice.

That being said...Dal Colle...dude...this ain't shinny. Protect yourself in the middle of the ice.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #35
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

of course he stepped in because he looked down. You don’t step in on forwards who are looking at you... that’s how you don’t make the NHL.

Marleau, looks down, Sarich engaged. It can’t be predatory for an individual when that’s what they teach you. That’s the play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #36
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Because you have to. We no longer have the luxury to ignore the incredibly serious damage that multiple concussions cause, and short of removing hitting from the game entirely, measures like this will be necessary. A player who is still dumb enough to lead with his head like that while staring at the puck in his feet is going to get badly hurt, and there is probably nothing anyone can do about it. Enforcing a 2-min penalty (it is 2 mins, right?) is essentially the minimal response to this.
I mostly agree with you. My point is only that it has become dumb for the league to say this hit is suspendable, as they are concerned about concussions, but beating Trouba over the head isn’t a problem.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #37
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Massive hit. Looks legal to me. The size difference of the players doesn't help the cause either. Cant blow a guy up anymore without there being a he should be suspended call.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #38
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Totally fine hit. Just looks bad when your head snaps back a bit after getting rocked. Unless they take hitting out of the game it's going to be pretty tough not to see big hits like that once in a while.

Worst part of that hit was Trouba having to fight instantly.........just absolutely ridiculous, one of the worst parts of the game today.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #39
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Clean hit and it’s hockey 101. Keep your head up and aware of your surroundings. Hard hits are a part of hockey and intimidation. Back in the day I would have never let up on someone in that position. Good hard hockey. The fight after is dumb, agreed, clean hits are a part of the game.

Even if it was a Flames player receiving the hit, I’d say keep your head up. Even if it is a predatory hit(Trouba or any player looking to line someone up), it was clean. Nothing wrong with assessing the play/player and looking for a big check.

Last edited by soulchoice; 02-25-2020 at 09:24 PM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #40
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp: