Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Rating out of 10 : Flames Deadline
0 3 0.98%
1 8 2.61%
2 9 2.93%
3 33 10.75%
4 25 8.14%
5 51 16.61%
6 77 25.08%
7 73 23.78%
8 23 7.49%
9 1 0.33%
10 4 1.30%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Rate the Flames 2020 Trade Deadline

I was hoping the mods would add a poll please, 1-10.

I would give Treliving a 7 for today. He didn't spend any significant draft picks, didn't trade away any prospects and addressed a scoring issue from the blue line. Overall what he didnt do today may be more important than a big acquisition.

He also made a statement that he does think this is a playoff team. I personally would have preferred him to sell today but he put a small stamp on where he sees this team.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

5. I feel if they sold Brodie with the new pickups it could of been a 7 or 8.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only certainty is that the Flames will bleed assets on July 1.

If they had sold Brodie it would be an 8.5 or so. However, I don't think ownership would have allowed this.
So Treliving gets a 5, but the organization gets a 3.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 02-24-2020 at 09:56 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Ward can play Forbort (or Kylington) over Stone on the Brodie pair (while Giordano's out) and play Gustafsson over Stone on the third pair (with Kylington or Forbort) then i'm inclined to bump it up to an 8.

But Ward isn't gonna do that so it's more like a 4, waste of assets.

Actually, the pairs I'd be curious to try:

Hanifin-Brodie
Forbort-Andersson
Kylington-Gustafsson

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-24-2020 at 09:57 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It’s official, if it wasn’t already, we suck and we’re stuck in this vicious cycle of mediocrity. More first round playoff exists to come, if we even make the playoffs at all. Probably going to lose Brodie & Hamonic for nothing, but that’s okay, because we got big bad Forbort & Gustafsson! Let’s just keep ALL of our picks even though we’re in WIN NOW mode. Those picks aren’t going to help us win a Stanley Cup NOW. But that’s alright! They’ll help us in 3-4 years from now! You know, when our core is approaching the end of their win now window...

We should have any one or two or even three of these players right now:

Trocheck
Toffoli
Zucker
Pageau
Athanasiou
Namestnikov
Kase
Vatanen
Even Martinez or Dillon

ESPECIALLY Trocheck, and even Stone from last year (which WAS the year we should have went all in, because let’s face it, we’re never going to have that type of year again).

I’m not saying trade every single draft pick or prospect and sell the farm, but my god, improve this team please.

But hey! Like I mentioned, we have big Forbort & Gustafsson! Plan the parade boys!
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AT77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people will change their tune at the draft when we still have our high picks and Vancouver, Edmonton, ect. don't despite not winning the cup either
Old 02-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I predicted we end up with a depth defenceman or two. We got some size in Forbort and PP ability in Gustafsson . Forbort could be used in games were his physical play is needed. I do wonder if Gustafsson is a possible replacement for Brodie, should he decide not to sign with the Flames in the off season.

I was hoping for a top 6 right winger but the asking prices were too high IMO. I didn't want Tre trading our 1st round pick and any of our prospects and I'm happy he said no and walked away. Might have a better chance in the off season of obtaining one.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 I guess? Looking at the deals that did get done I certainly don't feel like we missed out on anything. I like the players we added but not enough to be actually excited. Really good additions but nothing worth clamoring about.

I wanted to add a top 6 forward with term but that's a hard deal to make in February, that's an off-season move. Injuries meant we weren't going to be selling Hamonic, and I think they try and re-sign Brodie anyway, same with at least one of our deadline additions

I don't hate the deadline like some here definitely seem too, but it wasn't amazing either. But I also knew ahead of time it wouldn't be, it seems some here were expecting to add Nylander for a third or something judging by their reactions
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

2. Team made forced decisions due to injuries, no intentional hockey decisions.
Doesn't feel like intelligent hockey decisions have been made since the Carolina trade.
The organization is on auto pilot with reactions only when they have to. No one is driving the bus.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

As expected so not really upset. The teams mediocre play and injuries make buying a bad idea. Would have liked to trade Hamonic but I guess the injury is too serious. Trading Brodie when Gio isn't back is throwing away the season so I didn't want that.

For the costs everyone was paying I don't see anything that I would have wanted to pay that was a significant upgrade on Mangiapane. Backlund, Mangiapane, and Bennett have been playing great lately.

Team was stuck, I'll give it a 6/10
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

They didnt stand pat, they didnt waste the top picks.
They laid a bunt.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #12
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know, this is hard to rate because everyone had different expectations.

I’ll give it a 7. Addressed a weakness, but didn’t sell important assets in a year that I think we almost universally agree isn’t going anywhere.

I believe the team does have to try to make playoffs, that really is still a crucial goal to have and many of us fans have sat through 5-7 year dark periods with no playoffs and we would have never imagined taking it for granted.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

4 and I’m being generous
Leave disappointed and wanting more. Probably emphasized due to the fact Tre sitting on his hands for past 18mths. At a minimum pay a real coach cause this team is capable of more and secondly for such talent on back end it’s hard to watch
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm OK with the deadline moves. Actually think he acquired a couple of interesting pieces. So say a 6/10.

I think a lot of people would feel better about today if the team seemed to be following some type of plan. Not really much point in assigning a grade to just one day when what matters is what a GM does over the passage of time.

My grade for this season is about a 2. Nice job to recoup a little cash in the Neal trade. The backup goalie signing was OK. But failed to address, or even chip away at the team's shortcomings that were exposed after the All Star break last year. That's disappointing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
FlamesFanInEdmonton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

4 for me. I'm okay with the ones that were made. I'm not okay with the ones that weren't however.
FlamesFanInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #16
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 From me.

Patched a few holes on defence, which is good.
Still, it is a slow bleeding of draft picks.

Brodie is what concerns me right now. If he is not re-signed, then I feel it is going to be a huge loss to this team moving forward. I think he should have been part of a 'hockey deal' of some sort if management feels that he would not re-sign here.

Hopefully the new additions help. I the system is the underlying problem with this team, but hopefully these two defencemen at least help patch up a hole or two.

One thing that I don't like is that they will most certainly play ahead of Kylington and, to a lesser extent, Yelesin. "They are young, plenty of time, etc"? Kylington especially is in such an important part of his development curve learning in the NHL, and shouldn't be sitting out for stretches at a time. I hope he was included on the paper transactions to send him to the AHL. He needs to play. Who here disagrees that Fatenberg was a mistake last season, and that Kylington and/or Valimaki should have been playing in the playoffs instead and gaining valuable experience? I do.

Hopefully things work out, Flames suddenly become a consistent team and go on a hell of a run between tomorrow and the Stanley Cup Finals. Nobody will be disappointed in much at all then, and with this team, who knows what they can or can't do when the start playing consistently again.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #17
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 . Typical Flames. And I blame us fans as the reason for it. We as a Canadian fan base wil rabidly support our team regardless so It's not a surprise management is comfortable with the mediocre seasons time in and out. The teams that seem to male the big moves always seem to be the markets were fans can go off and have oyher things to go in terms of entertainment. Calgary is not the same as some big metropolis were fans have the attention span of a goldfish.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd give it a 6.5. I'm glad we didn't overpay for any rentals. Tre addressed the d depth,was just hoping we could have shipped out Brodie for some picks. Oh well, guess this is now the team, good or bad. Will revisit this thread when Gustafson scores the cup clinching goal, and give it an 11 in the future.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #20
danny darko
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I think people will change their tune at the draft when we still have our high picks and Vancouver, Edmonton, ect. don't despite not winning the cup either
The overall tune that I am hearing is mostly frustration with being stuck in a blah middle ground. Not quite sucking, but not contending either. I would much rather the Flames be in a position like Vancouver or Edmonton. Where their GM felt that the roster has earned the deadline additions, and the fans are okay with the picks being traded because they genuinely feel like some magic could happen once the group gets into the post season. I would be happy to part with picks if I felt the same about this team.
danny darko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danny darko For This Useful Post: