Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #161
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Loubo made the point about Ryan that the Bruins have the last change, and Ryan is a better matchup against the top two Bruin lines.
I think this team is better suited investing time in it's youngsters now and in the future.

...oh, we scratched Kylington and put Stone in?

This is the type of crap that bad NHL coaches have done for us over the years, and continue to do now it seems.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #162
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think this team is better suited investing time in it's youngsters now and in the future.

...oh, we scratched Kylington and put Stone in?

This is the type of crap that bad NHL coaches have done for us over the years, and continue to do now it seems.
Yes, but you also think they should tank this year.

As for Kylington, I would like to see him in too, but RD is not his strength. I guess you could play him with Brodie on the right but I don’t like them as a pair.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #163
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You posted a whole bunch of numbers, but they say little.

1) Icetime is not equal. An even in 12:28 minutes of icetime (w/ Kylington) can't be compared to 91:49.

2) The sample size for goal events is miniscule and ultimately useless. You're talking about events like when Dillon Dube threw a pizza up the middle of the ice to the other team, or when Yelesin's shot got blocked and the other team was off to the races on a breakaway. Things... outside the control of most skaters on the ice.

3) the specific stretch where the Bennett line was assembled was without Mark Giordano. This has a trickle down effect. Mike Stone was playing much tougher minutes in the latter sample than he was in the former sample. Stone was way in over his head. Andersson and Kylington were also separated.

4) The sample size for shot metrics is a lot closer to usable than the goal events. And they actually favour Bennett:

Lucic-Bennett-Dube
37:04
51.52% shot attempts
50.68% expected goals
56.76% scoring chances

Lucic-Ryan-Dube
269:34
48.59% shot attempts
50.81% expected goals
46.75% scoring chances

Lucic-Ryan-Dube w/o Giordano
210:37
46.15% shot attempts
46.91% expected goals
45.26% scoring chances

Lucic-Ryan-Dube w Giordano
58:57
56.25% shot attempts
65.06% expected goals
51.79% scoring chances

Yes, there's reason to think that line might be better with Bennett - his strength offsets Dube's lack thereof whereas Ryan and Dube form a physically weak pairing. Especially since we've yet to see how that line could do with Giordano.

And even if the line were better with Ryan there is more value to the team to develop and empower a young player than there is to put their eggs into the basket of a 33 year old. Instead we've moved him back to the 4th line left wing. It's myopic.

Even if you want to operate on this logic, most of the consternation is about Bennett on Jankowski's wing with a player like Rieder. There is no benefit to this.

But again, your goals-based analysis is severely limited to a small sample size.
What you posted as a comparison of lines was a bunch of advanced stats you are taking as gospel while dispelling the actual counting stats those advanced stats are trying to represent.

What we can agree on is that the sample size with Bennett at center is small and the counting stats for him at center are skewed. The reality is that those stats could take a drastic turn in either direction and with more time left in the season there would be value in seeing him more a center with Lucic and Dube.

The illogical step is convincing yourself Bennett is the better option on that line after a 3 game sample size and leaving him there to experiment with 19 games left in a tight playoff race. To me that is putting what's best for Sam Bennett ahead of what's best for the team.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #164
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loubo also said the team likes Bennett as centre and looks to put him back there asap. Just not against the Bruins.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #165
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay someone make a Game Thread
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #166
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but you also think they should tank this year.

As for Kylington, I would like to see him in too, but RD is not his strength. I guess you could play him with Brodie on the right but I don’t like them as a pair.
I definitely do not think they should tank this year, especially not after spending assets. I've never been in favour of tanking over going all in, I was just opposed to standing pat.
I'd like to see:

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Brodie
Forbort - Gustafsson

Kylington apparently also played RD all the way until he got to the AHL.

I think Stone is worse in almost every way in comparison to Kylington, and Kylington gives them a better chance to win.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #167
Torchdemall
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wait Stone is in? Hmm I'm not sure how I feel about this but I'm sure the glass behind the Bruins net is scared.
Torchdemall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torchdemall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #168
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loubo made the point about Ryan that the Bruins have the last change, and Ryan is a better matchup against the top two Bruin lines.
Is he though? Who's more likely to come out of or at least even on a board battle against Patrice Bergeron, Ryan or Bennett?

It seems to be a fear of the unknown more than actual logic. Ward just needs to ask Treliving to be told that Bennett was battling against the likes of Kesler in the 2017 playoffs and performed admirably.

Quote:
Do you like Brodie-Stone as a pair though?

I'd take my chances with a pair that can skate, close gaps, move pucks over.. Brodie and... a guy whose only value is his point shot if it hits the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post
What you posted as a comparison of lines was a bunch of advanced stats you are taking as gospel while dispelling the actual counting stats those advanced stats are trying to represent.

What we can agree on is that the sample size with Bennett at center is small and the counting stats for him at center are skewed. The reality is that those stats could take a drastic turn in either direction and with more time left in the season there would be value in seeing him more a center with Lucic and Dube.

The illogical step is convincing yourself Bennett is the better option on that line after a 3 game sample size and leaving him there to experiment with 19 games left in a tight playoff race. To me that is putting what's best for Sam Bennett ahead of what's best for the team.
"actual counting stats" aren't really that meaningful and this is exactly the kind of horrible logic that got Matt Bartkowski a role on our top 6 in the aformentioned 2017 playoffs. Ryan's a good player but there's no guaruntee his luck will continue to defy his line's lack of offensive zone time.

As for the rest, it's the same kind of fear-of-the-unknown logic that causes this team to underperform annually so I guess I'm not convinced.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ to answer the first question, Ryan, 7 out of 10 times. Way smarter at that stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t do that Rasmus.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #171
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp: