Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #1321
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Trade Brodie and Frolik for picks/prospects. Free up $8.95M more on top of our $9.47M of space currently

Sign Tkachuk 7x$7.5M?

Rittich 2x$3M?

Bennett 2x$2.5-3M?

Mangiapane $1M

Leaves $3.5-4M for Ferland and a little buffer space.

After seeing what Labanc signed for, Bennett’s camp may be getting a bit sweaty about those numbers.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #1322
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Don't think it's overblown at all considering this is burkes reaction to ferland being dealt:

"Ferland shut down on the team last year and no one could get to him"

About 3/4 of that team also shut down. And then it happened to finish off this season and into the playoffs.

Plus, it does contradict what Treliving said about Ferland post-trade. Didn't say much about Hamilton, which I thought was interesting since he was the 'big name' in that trade, but Treliving seemed to go out of his way to be complimentary of Ferland. Called him a warrior for this club, and that he will be missed. I didn't catch the Gaudreau tweet to Hamilton saying he was going to be missed, but I did see the one to Ferland. Maybe I just missed it, but it is also a big plus bringing a guy in who is already popular in the room.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #1323
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I mean, I loves me some Backlund, but I honestly believe he’s a 3C on any team that would be considered a contender.
Backlund would likely have been the second line center on:

2019 Blues
2015 Hawks
2013 Hawks
2012 Kings
2010 Hawks
2006 Hurricanes

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #1324
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Backlund would likely have been the second line center on:

2019 Blues
2015 Hawks
2013 Hawks
2012 Kings
2010 Hawks
2006 Hurricanes
Agreed.

Just because he doesn't put up more points doesn't mean he doesn't add a lot of value for the minutes he gets.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #1325
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Backlund over Brayden Schenn?

Think people are forgetting how good Mike Richard and Matt Cullen were for their respective teams too. Agreed about the Hawks though.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #1326
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post

Think people are forgetting how good Mike Richard and Matt Cullen were for their respective teams too. Agreed about the Hawks though.
Backlund over Oskar Sunqvist, on a line with Brayden schenn.

Mike Richards was really good for his team. But he wasn't doing anything back then that Backlund doesn't do now, and Backs is a better skater too.

Rod Brind'Amour was 2C on the 06 Canes. And While he was still a solid player, his numbers were pretty inflated by his minute totals (he was logging 24 minutes a night!)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 07-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #1327
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How can I forget Rod the Bod, shameful. Inflated numbers or not, and 2006 scoring was way up, no way does Backlund beat Staal or Brind'Amour for a top two spot.

Regardless I think Backlund can be a two on a winner, albeit a soft one, so I agree with you. Need a star center though, which Monahan needs to can be but needs to be.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #1328
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund over Oskar Sunqvist, on a line with Brayden schenn.

Mike Richards was really good for his team. But he wasn't doing anything back then that Backlund doesn't do now, and Backs is a better skater too.

Rod Brind'Amour was 2C on the 06 Canes. And While he was still a solid player, his numbers were pretty inflated by his minute totals (he was logging 24 minutes a night!)
Are you serious? If you’re being sarcastic, Schenn is still a better Top 2 C.

Schenn centered Tarasenko and Schwartz.

Sundqvist centered the 4th line with Barbashev and Steen.

Last edited by timbit; 07-08-2019 at 05:55 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #1329
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post

He's seriously out to lunch.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #1330
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Schenn played wing in every playoff game I watched with Sundqvist as the #2 C

Not sure how crazy that is. I’ll admit I didn’t watch every game but I never saw Sundqvist on the 4th line for even a shift
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #1331
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's seriously out to lunch.

Seriously?

I will gladly read 100 posts out of Granteed, even if I don't agree with them, then a post like you just made.

Also, didn't you make a huge song and dance about 'having it with him', belittling him, and then stating point blank that you were going to put him on your ignore list? Why on Earth do you feel compelled to post something that does nothing to add to the conversation other than attacking the poster?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #1332
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Seriously?

I will gladly read 100 posts out of Granteed, even if I don't agree with them, then a post like you just made.

Also, didn't you make a huge song and dance about 'having it with him', belittling him, and then stating point blank that you were going to put him on your ignore list? Why on Earth do you feel compelled to post something that does nothing to add to the conversation other than attacking the poster?
He IS on my ignore list.

What do you say to a guy arguing the sky is orange?

Like, he's arguing against reality. Do you not believe timbit?

Do you not believe Andy Strickland? https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/sta...624788481?s=09

Do you not believe the at Louis coaching staff or your televisions screen or your own eye balls?

Like...what kind of message board is this? Are all opinions created equal or is a guy who consistently says things that have no basis in reality on par with those of us who arent intent on lying or fabricating to prove points about players we like?

Sundqvist played a minute and a half less than schenn at even strength in the playoffs, and almost 3 minutes less total. He played roughly 5 minutes less in the regular season and scored 23 less points than schenn in the regular season.

The guy is routinely completely out to lunch on a Ricardodw level.

Edit: let's go overboard on this to stamp out this lunacy.

Here's a quote article from the at Louis dispatch from March 20th. Sundqvist was moved up to line 2 for a game against the oilers.

"Until now, Sundqvist had spent the entire season on either the third or fourth lines. Although he’s played on a line with Schwartz a few games recently, Tuesday marked the first time he opened on a line with Perron.

Here's a quote from the local TV station about how moving schenn back to centre and sunqvist to the wing was a catalyst for their comeback :

"Berube flipped Schenn and David Perron, moving Perron to the left wing on O'Reilly's line and moving Schenn back into the middle and shift Oskar Sundqvist to the right and reunite Schenn with Jaden Schwartz, who potted the game-winner with 15 seconds remaining in regulation to complete the comeback.

"You’re always thinking about changes and stuff," Berube said. "I guess you look at our top line not producing 5-on-5 enough. Even though I thought the first period was pretty good -- they had some zone time, had some opportunities, but if you don’t score, you’ve got to change it up a little. So it was a good time to make the change."

Here's a quote from an NBC sports article about, you guessed it, sundqvist and the fourth line:

"San Jose has held up well against St. Louis' top three lines during the first four games of the series, but it's the Blues' fourth line that has given the Sharks issues.

That's why Blues head coach Craig Berube put Ivan Barbashev, Oskar Sundqvist and Alexander Steen on the ice to open Friday night's Game 4 -- a 2-1 Blues win."

Here's an article about who was going to take sundqvists spot on, you guessed it again, the fourth line:

"Zach Sanford skated with the fourth line on Friday as the Blues got ready for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final, though coach Craig Berube said he hadn't made up his mind on who will step in for suspended Oskar Sundqvist."

We can all have a conversation about Oskar Sundqvist, but if you're telling me you'd rather participate in a fantasy conversation about backlund being better than schenn because I'd the miraculous presence of Oskar sundqvist on the second line, you'll probably end up on my ignore list as well.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 07-08-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #1333
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Schenn is ptobably a better offensive player than Backlund, though that's not necessarily a fact as he didn't really blow up until a year ago when he got traded to a team that let him center a damn good line, and he's spent the vast majority of his career at left wing.

As for who the Blues' 2C was, it could be argued Schenn was their 2C, but he also played so much LW that it's highly debateable that Sundqvist was more relied upon in that role. I think if Backlund were magically added to the Blues' roster, he would pretty easily be selected to play center over Schenn, but that should not be confused with me saying that Schenn would be moved to 3C, because I never said that, I said Schenn would be moved to the wing, which is exactly what's happened almost his ENTIRE career.

Here were Schenn's four most common lines in the playoffs:

Code:
							Season		TOI
BRAYDEN.SCHENN	JADEN.SCHWARTZ	VLADIMIR.TARASENKO	2018-2019	106.77
BRAYDEN.SCHENN	RYAN.O'REILLY	VLADIMIR.TARASENKO	2018-2019	57.73
BRAYDEN.SCHENN	JADEN.SCHWARTZ	OSKAR.SUNDQVIST		2018-2019	35.82
BRAYDEN.SCHENN	DAVID.PERRON	OSKAR.SUNDQVIST		2018-2019	35.12

Yes, for a good chunk of the playoffs he centered the best winger on STL's roster. But for an even bigger portion of the playoffs he was either on ROR's wing or Sundqvist's wing. And I guess I can't "prove" that Schenn wasn't centering Sundqvist, but that's what I saw while I was out to lunch. 2Cs don't typically spend ~55% of their time playing the wing, except when on one VERY specific line.

Of course, as is typical for timbit and Flash Walken, there is no room for a such thing as nuance. These two, and their old buddy MMF, are such a trifecta of denial that they're practically CP's equivalent of flat-earthers.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-08-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #1334
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He IS on my ignore list.

What do you say about to a guy arguing the sky is orange?

Like, he's arguing against reality. Do you not believe timbit?

Do you not believe Andy Strickland? https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/sta...624788481?s=09

Do you not believe the at Louis coaching staff or your televisions screen or your own eye balls?

Like...what kind of message board is this? Are all opinions created equal or is a guy who consistently says things that have no basis in reality on par with those of us who arent intent on lying or fabricating to prove points about players we like?

The guy is routinely completely out to lunch on a Ricardodw level.
Yeesh, that all seems like a bit much. Sure I don't agree with all his opinions but at least he always tries to back them up with statistics and creates a discussion about it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #1335
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

ITT anecdotal evidence is fact and actual, verifiable time on ice is fabrication and lying.

You do you, FW.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #1336
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post

Sharp was the Hawks #2 centre in 2013.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #1337
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ITT anecdotal evidence is fact and actual, verifiable time on ice is fabrication and lying.

You do you, FW.
Interesting.

Factual and verifiable...

Schenn took the 5th most faceoffs in the entire 2019 playoffs.

O’Reilly was first.

Sundqvist had more than one hundred fewer faceoffs than Schenn.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #1338
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting.

Factual and verifiable...

Schenn took the 5th most faceoffs in the entire 2019 playoffs.

O’Reilly was first.

Sundqvist had more than one hundred fewer faceoffs than Schenn.
How many faceoffs did Lindholm have on the Flames, regular season and playoffs, and where did that rank?

What position did Lindholm play?

Faceoffs are something centers do, but they're not the exclusive domain of centers.

Schenn did play SOME center in the 2019 playoffs. Lindholm did not, yet took almost as many or more faceoffs as Monahan on our team last year.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-08-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #1339
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got no dog in this fight but I will say that timbit and GEV are having a good argument, and I don’t mind it at all, even though they passionately disagree here. They don’t report to an unhelpful one liner.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #1340
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

With everything that's going on in the world nowadays, can't we just all get along???
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote