Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #61
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Considering how few defensemen are on the market this year, I’d say the price tag will be quite high. If a -41 Rasmus Ristolanen is apparently drawing a lot of interest (Friedman), then surely TJ Brodie who can play on both sides then surely Brodie’s value should also be quite good.

If I’m the Flames, draft picks don’t interest me, a young cost controlled forward would be my target.
That's the thing. Brodie can't really play both sides. Just his off-side. And god only knows how well without Gio supporting him.

Honestly, I think anyone thinking a first or Kadri or something like that are going to be soundly disappointed when the trade is made. If we're lucky, we can get a second rounder. And after that atrocious playoff performance, I'm not confident we'll get lucky.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #62
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's the thing. Brodie can't really play both sides. Just his off-side. And god only knows how well without Gio supporting him.

Honestly, I think anyone thinking a first or Kadri or something like that are going to be soundly disappointed when the trade is made. If we're lucky, we can get a second rounder. And after that atrocious playoff performance, I'm not confident we'll get lucky.

Not saying that he plays both sides equally well. Just saying that most GMs will likely have the perception that he can play both sides which should raise his value. Puck moving defensemen who can skate with 30+ points (mostly even strength) and +29 looks pretty darn good compared to what else is out there.

I think he’ll get a pretty decent return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #63
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

After his numerous give-a-ways in the playoffs, a coke and a bag of chips.

But seriously, I think that some team may well give up a late first for him. Certainly they would at the deadline, although I expect he'll be moved in the off season.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #64
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Yeah, anyone claiming he is worth a first round pick is just looking at this sin such a biased way. Brodie is a complete dud. He looks passable in a top pairing role when he's skating with a norris level defenceman like Giordano but having watched him under 3+ coaches and systems now, you know there is no more upside to be found.

He still make 2-3 completely asinine plays a game that typically cost his team badly, while Gio covers up the rest with unbelievable poise. This guy won't fetch more than a second or third round pick from a competent gm, if the Flames are lucky. The more realistic scenario would be that he's thrown into a bigger deal instead of sacrificing younger players.
Worst analysis I've seen yet of Brodie. He has nowhere near 2-3 mistakes per game that costs the team. THAT is asinine. Peters wouldn't give him those minutes if that was true. He was great up until the All star break, but started falling off at the same time as the rest of the team. I believe if he stays, he will enter top 10 most games played in a Flames uniform next season? He deserves some respect from people who call themselves Flames fans.

Brodie and Hamonic should be worth about the same. Depends on if teams are looking for a puck moving D-man or a physical more defensively minded. I believe at least a first rounder, but would rather take a youngish top 6 forward.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haplo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
Worst analysis I've seen yet of Brodie. He has nowhere near 2-3 mistakes per game that costs the team. THAT is asinine. Peters wouldn't give him those minutes if that was true. He was great up until the All star break, but started falling off at the same time as the rest of the team. I believe if he stays, he will enter top 10 most games played in a Flames uniform next season? He deserves some respect from people who call themselves Flames fans.

Brodie and Hamonic should be worth about the same. Depends on if teams are looking for a puck moving D-man or a physical more defensively minded. I believe at least a first rounder, but would rather take a youngish top 6 forward.
I agree with this, and I think the decision between the two has more to do with Andersson/Kylington/Valimaki and who they can replace. I say they are more like Brodie than Hamonic (especially Kylington).

The other consideration is what the other teams are looking for, but I sure would hate to lose Hamonic's skill set.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #66
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with this, and I think the decision between the two has more to do with Andersson/Kylington/Valimaki and who they can replace. I say they are more like Brodie than Hamonic (especially Kylington).

The other consideration is what the other teams are looking for, but I sure would hate to lose Hamonic's skill set.
Yes, and Hanifin is also very Brodie-like so that speaks in favour of keeping Hamonic. I wasn't too impressed with Hamonic in the series against the Avs though. The Hamonic-Hanifin pairing had just as rough playoffs as Brodie did.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #67
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too much focus on who to trade away IMO. We really should be looking at what the team needs. Once you figure that out, then determine if you're willing to pay the price.

The Flames have a deep, talented and mobile back end which was a big reason for their success in the regular season. As a unit, we saw in the playoffs they were ineffective in controlling the puck and defending against a team playing fast.

I'd be reluctant to trade any of our D still on their ELC's but if any of the other defenders could get us an upgrade at the center position I'd be looking at it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #68
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I would start looking around at the non playoff teams, and try to pry out their #1 center with a package including Brodie +. We need a dynamic center, and if we are "win now" you do what it takes to get one. We have the assets.

This organization can't afford another first round no-show and subsequent loss.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #69
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are just too many critical Brodie giveaways to make up for the positives, IMO. Maybe you could get a second rounder for him? Who knows for sure but one thing is certain, he's now in his "prime" years so he's definitely not going to improve - this is the kind of player he is so if they stick with him you have to accept that he's going to cough up the puck. A lot.
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #70
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I would start looking around at the non playoff teams, and try to pry out their #1 center with a package including Brodie +. We need a dynamic center, and if we are "win now" you do what it takes to get one. We have the assets.

This organization can't afford another first round no-show and subsequent loss.

Unless you are including Valimaki or Andersson, I don't think Brodie will ever be a starting point for a #1 centre.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #71
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Unless you are including Valimaki or Andersson, I don't think Brodie will ever be a starting point for a #1 centre.
This won't be popular, but Monahan is.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #72
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This won't be popular, but Monahan is.
Agreed, but who can we get for Monahan that is age appropriate and a large upgrade. I don't see any realistic options.

Spoiler!

Outside of Eichel these are probably the centers we can target unless you want to take a gamble on a prospect. Maybe we can get Zibanejad from NYR but I wouldn't want to trade Monahan across for him.

I think Treliving really missed the boat by not getting ROR or Mark Stone.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #73
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Brodie should be able to get a late first pick back. Muzzin and Montour just did at the last deadline and I don't think Brodie is significantly worse than either of those guys in spite of his periodic brain cramps. He still skates and moves the puck at a second pairing D level at minimum. However, I expect the Flames would only move him for an immediate upgrade that will help us in the Gio & Johnny contract window. Keep in mind Giordano plays at a Norris nomination level the years he was paired with Brodie so he does have value to Calgary in that sense (elevates Gio to god mode somehow).

I would look at seeing what we can pry out of Toronto who will need a reasonable cost D-man for next year (a package of Brodie + for Kapanen or Kadri). I also wonder if Detroit is tired of waiting for Mantha to break out. I feel like his skill set (power forward with overpowering shot) is missing on the Flames current roster (or at least until the James Neal of old shows up) and a pipe dream would be getting him right before his offensive numbers jump like we did Lindholm.

Last edited by CN10; 04-22-2019 at 12:53 PM.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #74
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there will be a couple of GMs who just rely on numbers, and disregard the fact that Brodie makes awful giveaways.

To most of the league, he's probably worth a mid-second. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers a late first/early second (like others have posted).
It'll be up to Treliving to get maximum value.

And they should definitely trade Brodie. He wouldn't be protected in an expansion draft anyways. Plus he'd by a UFA by then if he wasn't extended, which I doubt he would be.

There may be a few growing pains that result for trading away Brodie. But by the end of the season, I'm thinking it will be addition by subtraction.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #75
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teams that aren't making the playoffs aren't likely trading their dynamic #1 centre for a package headlined by a 1-year rental.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #76
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think there will be a couple of GMs who just rely on numbers, .
Zero chance of that happening.

GMs will rely on the multitude of game reports, submitted by their pro scouts, when evaluating TJ.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #77
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Teams that aren't making the playoffs aren't likely trading their dynamic #1 centre for a package headlined by a 1-year rental.
Again, read what I wrote.

Brodie +

If Brodie is hypothetically worth a 1st rounder, what is Brodie and Monahan worth?

What other asset do we have that we can throw in there? Because I would say there is a TON at our disposal.

How bad do we want to go for it? I know I'm pretty sick of first round exits and players who disappear in the playoffs.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #78
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
How bad do we want to go for it? I know I'm pretty sick of first round exits and players who disappear in the playoffs.
Funny you should say that, as before this year, Monahan had 11 points in 15 playoff games. So your solution is to package our current #1 C and a defenceman who's value I believe you have significantly overinflated for what? Pretty much exactly what Monahan typically gives us?

Because a package centred around those two isn't getting you a Nathan MacKinnon type.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #79
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Funny you should say that, as before this year, Monahan had 11 points in 15 playoff games. So your solution is to package our current #1 C and a defenceman who's value I believe you have significantly overinflated for what? Pretty much exactly what Monahan typically gives us?

Because a package centred around those two isn't getting you a Nathan MacKinnon type.
Curious, is your solution to remain status quo? What is our most glaring need? How do you address it?

Personally I'm in the camp that thinks Monahan is not a true #1 center, and Brodie's value is a late 1st round, early second round pick. You don't agree, and that's fine.

Add in (IMO) our 2019 1st and/or depth from defense and go from there. Everyone has a price.

Like I said, it wouldn't be popular and that's fine. I like Monahan. But I don't see him winning us a cup.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #80
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Curious, is your solution to remain status quo? What is our most glaring need? How do you address it?

Personally I'm in the camp that thinks Monahan is not a true #1 center, and Brodie's value is a late 1st round, early second round pick. You don't agree, and that's fine.

Add in (IMO) our 2019 1st and/or depth from defense and go from there. Everyone has a price.

Like I said, it wouldn't be popular and that's fine. I like Monahan. But I don't see him winning us a cup.

I just don't know who that #1 C is that we get would with Monahan and Brodie as a package, maybe, Couturier.

Do you think Couturier gets us a cup?