Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #4401
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The past few years would have been good years to throw money at the problem. Lots of service rigs were under employed and abandoning wells would have been a good recession stimulation program for the government for work that needs to be done.

The big issue is some of the very dubios transfers of assets that have been allowed which have led to companies bankrupting themselves leaving massive liabilities on the province.
First paragraph: uh yes? So just like the 235 million investment the OWA got?

Second paragraph: while that’s a whole different discussion, and there needs to be change, there still hasn’t been any tax payer dollars gone to it. Outside of very old legacy stuff which the government pays for no matter the industry. See the west side of downtown as an example.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-09-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #4402
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
?? So are you telling people here that the OWA receives all the money it needs each year to clean up all the inventory of abandoned wells and facilities in Alberta? Like there is no unfunded liability here?

Please tell me you have more than this.
Why would the OWA need to abandon all the wells every year? There is no risk. And everything that has risk is dealt with.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #4403
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
?? So are you telling people here that the OWA receives all the money it needs each year to clean up all the inventory of abandoned wells and facilities in Alberta? Like there is no unfunded liability here?

Please tell me you have more than this.
What irks me is the size of budget the owa has and how little they accomplish. Top that with rumors of high costs due to family friend service kick backs.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #4404
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
What irks me is the size of budget the owa has and how little they accomplish. Top that with rumors of high costs due to family friend service kick backs.
I mean besides being totally wrong in this assessment. Your user name makes the comment hugely ironic.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #4405
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
First paragraph: uh yes? So just like the 235 million investment the OWA got?

Second paragraph: while that’s a whole different discussion, and there needs to be change, there still hasn’t been any tax payer dollars gone to it. Outside of very old legacy stuff which the government pays for no matter the industry. See the west side of downtown as an example.
Why are dubious transfers a different discussion? These transfers were approved on the back of the house of cards which is known as the OWA and the AER liability ratio scheme.

And nice one with reference to the 235 million‘investment’. Otherwise known as a taxpayer loan to industry that won’t be repaid.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #4406
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why would the OWA need to abandon all the wells every year? There is no risk. And everything that has risk is dealt with.
Do you even know what you are talking about?
Old 11-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #4407
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why are dubious transfers a different discussion? These transfers were approved on the back of the house of cards which is known as the OWA and the AER liability ratio scheme.

And nice one with reference to the 235 million‘investment’. Otherwise known as a taxpayer loan to industry that won’t be repaid.
I meant the dubious transfers are something that needs to be discussed. That is something that absolutely needs to be looked at and things are on the move.

You obviously haven’t actually determined what the loan was. The feds gave 30 million. The Alberta government (NDP at the time) instead took that 30 million and used it to take 235 million to give to them over 10 years. So the 30 million from the feds is being used to pay the interest of the 235 million loan. All of which is being paid back with 30 million a year from the levy.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-09-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #4408
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you even know what you are talking about?
Way more than you know my friend. But I’m sure the 2 articles you have read makes you an expert.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #4409
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I meant the dubious transfers are something that needs to be discussed. That is something that absolutely needs to be looked at and things are on the move.

You obviously haven’t actually determined what the loan was. The feds gave 30 million. The Alberta government (NDP at the time) instead took that 30 million and used it to take 235 million to give to them over 10 years. So the 30 million from the feds is being used to pay the interest of the 235 million loan. All of which is being paid back with 30 million a year from the levy.
The levy you talk of is set by the AER which itself takes orders from its industry masters. I’m not expecting much of that loan to be repaid with the AER in charge of ensuring it happens. Nor should anyone else. But you keep on spinning your fiction. Nobody believes it anymore.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #4410
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The levy you talk of is set by the AER which itself takes orders from its industry masters. I’m not expecting much of that loan to be repaid with the AER in charge of ensuring it happens. Nor should anyone else. But you keep on spinning your fiction. Nobody believes it anymore.
This idea that the AER is controlled by industry can only be said by someone who has never worked with the AER.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #4411
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's rare but I'm 100% with Weitz on this. You're out to lunch on the OWA/AER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #4412
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's rare but I'm 100% with Weitz on this. You're out to lunch on the OWA/AER.
It’s something I’m very passionate about and more then happy to discuss further via pm.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #4413
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This idea that the AER is controlled by industry can only be said by someone who has never worked with the AER.
Really? Because the last time I looked the AER is fully funded by industry money. Self regulation at its finest. Dismissive of public concerns about the industry... senior execs using aer time and money for private gains.... almost zero transparency.... etc

Oh and who approves all these dubious transfers to shady entities that ultimately leave the losses in the public hands? You guessed it the AER

Sought to be’best in class regulator’. What a laugh that is. Worst in class by miles

Last edited by Corral; 11-09-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #4414
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Because the last time I looked the AER is fully funded by industry money. Self regulation at its finest. Dismissive of public concerns about the industry... senior execs using aer time and money for private gains.... almost zero transparency.... etc

Oh and who approves all these dubious transfers to shady entities that ultimately leave the losses in the public hands? You guessed it the AER

Sought to be’best in class regulator’. What a laugh that is. Worst in class by miles
We will wait for proof of this. But as usual I’m sure we will wait for a long long time.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #4415
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Who appoints the board of the AER?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #4416
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Funded by levies from industry, different than funded by industry. I just equate it to user fees. That being said a levy system does quite work when licencing and drilling are substantially down.

Also regulations are passed on from the government, things like the OGCR and REDA are the back bone of regulations that are put in place by government. The dirwctives are created leveraging those. With all legislation it is tough to adapt quickly since it has to go through edmonton. The whole move at the speed of government.

Regarding the whole outgoing CEO, yeah that is a black eye, but that is far from the norm. Dude had a complete disregard of what the mandate of the AER was supposed to be and went and did something completely stupid to set himself up after the AER. All the emails and texts that were in the report don't exactly paint him in a positive light and rightfully and hopefully a career killer. So those execs have all been let go and I hear the ripple effects of people under them are leaving as well. It will be interesting to see the next steps when the CEO come in.

In regard to those transfers, they were all legal. Sketchy but legal and done in accordance to the rules. There is a reason the AER took a few items to the courts and thankfully for the people of Alberta won the redwater decision.

There will always be people to try and play the system, that is just the way things are now days.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #4417
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Orphan levy is based on liability %. So being a responsible operator is rewarded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #4418
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I mean besides being totally wrong in this assessment. Your user name makes the comment hugely ironic.
Dont work for husky - just have a husky dog
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #4419
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well it’s a good thing you don’t have a Shih Tzu.... Ok I will show myself out...
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #4420
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Because the last time I looked the AER is fully funded by industry money. Self regulation at its finest. Dismissive of public concerns about the industry...
The extremely O&G industry friendly UCP government campaigned on, and actually went through with, removing the entire AER board because they were not industry-friendly enough. Ironically, slow approval process because of public concerns is one of the major reasons that the entirety of the board is looking for work.

The AER, like most government agencies and boards, will reflect the government of the time because it's quite literally their boss. The government will set their mandates, and those who want to keep their jobs will do so. Who funds them doesn't mean anything.

It's pretty much as meaningless as the jackass who yells at a cop for pulling them over "You can't give me a ticket, I pay your salary through my taxes!"
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: