Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #241
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

LeBrun notebook:

Quote:
Going back to the top of this story where I mentioned Colorado was among the teams that checked in on Aho. It’s pretty fair to assume that Colorado’s big trade with Toronto later on Monday evening never happens if the Avs were able to proceed on Aho.

But they get Nazem Kadri instead and he’s going to be a great fit in Denver. He’s got a cap-friendly contract for three more years at a $4.5-million AAV and I think he’s got a chance to reestablish his 30-goal form with the Avs.

The arrival of John Tavares last year knocked Kadri down in the lineup and he never quite adjusted to his new role. He’ll get bigger minutes in Colorado.

Not that he wanted to get traded. Sources confirm Kadri nixed a potential deal to Calgary over the past week, and I believe his camp also sent word to another club on his 10-team no-trade list that had interest in him not to bother calling the Leafs. It was clear Kadri didn’t want to move.

Colorado was not on Kadri’s no-list, which allowed the Leafs to make the deal.

Tyson Barrie scratches the long-festering itch of the Leafs dying for a top-end, right-handed D. With Cody Ceci also on the right side now, suddenly this Leafs D-crops doesn’t look too bad at all, even if UFA Jake Gardiner doesn’t end up sticking around.

Outstanding work by Leafs GM Kyle Dubas between the Colorado and Ottawa trades on Monday.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #242
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Welp....that hurts.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #243
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

"It was clear Kadri didn't want to move"

So he nixed 2 trades, but Dubas skirts the issues by trading him to a team he doesn't have a say in. Too bad we were on the list.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #244
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kadri used his NTC to nix a trade to the Flames involving TJ Brodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
"It was clear Kadri didn't want to move"

So he nixed 2 trades, but Dubas skirts the issues by trading him to a team he doesn't have a say in. Too bad we were on the list.

This is the reality of being a small Canadian market. You’re nobody’s first choice, no matter how good the team is.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #245
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
...the misses are glaring because they are all for players who would've filled massive holes in the lineup were it not for having spent assets and caps space on players who weren't worth it...
Not that this is worth time and energy to explain to you, but this is patently false.

Moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #246
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really sucks, would’ve really put our forward group at another level.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #247
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
This is the reality of being a small Canadian market. You’re nobody’s first choice, no matter how good the team is.
It's frustrating as hell. I wonder if there would be an avenue to change the rules on trade and movement clauses in an upcoming CBA negotiation? Probably not.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #248
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really too bad we were on his list. I think he would have really balanced out our forward group.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #249
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's frustrating as hell. I wonder if there would be an avenue to change the rules on trade and movement clauses in an upcoming CBA negotiation? Probably not.
I think it's fair that RFA years can't have such clauses and UFA years can.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #250
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Of course he didn’t want to move, he’s local and the team is up and coming.

These things must be done strategically. If I was him I would have looked at the top ten most likely teams who would want my services (with cap space/c slots to acquire) and put them all on the list. If there are ties then you go by city/ownership/current status/etc...
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #251
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
It may save grief in the long run by preventing teams acquiring players that don't want to be there and asking to be traded to another team later (e.g. Jeff Carter and Columbus)
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #252
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My big worry is that the relationship between Brodie and the Flames has been damaged. If he doesn't get traded, the fans and the media will eat him alive with trade rumours and criticism. I don't want that hanging over his head all season long.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #253
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not that this is worth time and energy to explain to you, but this is patently false.

Moving on.

"Everything is fine."
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #254
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What stings more, kadri nixing a trade to calgary or him joining the team that knocked off the flames in the 1st round?

Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #255
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kadri used his NTC to nix a trade to the Flames involving TJ Brodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
My big worry is that the relationship between Brodie and the Flames has been damaged. If he doesn't get traded, the fans and the media will eat him alive with trade rumours and criticism. I don't want that hanging over his head all season long.

He will be traded, but we may have to resign ourselves as fans to a significantly sub-optimal return and coming into the season with a weaker roster than last year.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #256
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
What stings more, kadri nixing a trade to calgary or him joining the team that knocked off the flames in the 1st round?

Meh. If they ever meet again in the playoffs, he will probably be suspended anyway
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #257
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post

Certainly the trade rebuff.

If anything, his move to Colorado makes them substantially more despicable, and it will be much, much more enjoyable when the Flames beat them.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #258
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If only there was some mechanism in the cba where you could effortlessly retain a players rights until they were 26...

Some kind of, oh I don't know, an egalitarian dispersal mechanism for all new talent coming into the league.

It would have to be some kind of a situation where every team was on equal footing every year, and where teams who weren't as good had the ability to even the playing field by getting first crack at the best new talent.

I don't know what you'd call it. Do any other leagues do something like this?

Nah, maybe it's best to change the cba so that you could force players to play for you against their will. Where it didn't matter how attractive your franchise was, you could simply compel players to play for you or not play at all.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Force it. Ignore that other thing about talent dispersals, just make the best players play for you.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #259
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
If only there was some mechanism in the cba where you could effortlessly retain a players rights until they were 26...

Some kind of, oh I don't know, an egalitarian dispersal mechanism for all new talent coming into the league.

It would have to be some kind of a situation where every team was on equal footing every year, and where teams who weren't as good had the ability to even the playing field by getting first crack at the best new talent.

I don't know what you'd call it. Do any other leagues do something like this?

Nah, maybe it's best to change the cba so that you could force players to play for you against their will. Where it didn't matter how attractive your franchise was, you could simply compel players to play for you or not play at all.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Force it. Ignore that other thing about talent dispersals, just make the best players play for you.

As Fox and Tom taught us, even with such a mechanism in place, players can still rebuff your franchise for more attractive ones if they want.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #260
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that the size of the market has anything to do with it. In the USA you can make a mistake in a game and life goes on. In a Canadian market you get #### all over by the fans and media, even if you played a good game. In one place you might get peace of mind, in another, if you don't meet expectations ( even if they are unrealistic), you are reminded on every available platform.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post: