Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following?
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 26 15.76%
Jeremy McKenna 8 4.85%
Josh Nodler 8 4.85%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 16 9.70%
Lucas Feuk 41 24.85%
Luke Philp 9 5.45%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 11 6.67%
Pavel Karnaukhov 2 1.21%
Rinat Valiev 6 3.64%
Ryan Lomberg 34 20.61%
Spencer Foo 4 2.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2019 - Round 21

Summer time, and time for ...

Calgarypuck's 6th Annual Prospect Ranking Poll Series

Here are the last 5 years for a quick glance ...
Prospect Rankings
2013 - Results
2014 - Results
2015 - Results
2016 - Results
2017 - Results
2018 - Results

As per usual the vote is up to you. Some see it as most likely to play, some see it as highest ceiling, others see it as a mix of both.

Happy voting!

Results

1. Juuso Valimaki - 92.6% (Round 1)
2. Dillon Dube - 54.5% (Round 2)
3. Oliver Kylington - 78.3% (Round 3)
4. Jakob Pelletier - 58.0% (Round 4)
5. Matias Emilio Pettersen - 50.0% (Round 5)
6. Tyler Parsons - 50.0% (Round 6)
7. Matthew Phillips - 55.6% (Round 7)
8. Illya Nikolaev - 33.6% (Round 8)
9. Martin Pospisil - 35.8% (Round 9)
10. Dmitry Zavgorodniy - 29.9% (Round 10)
11. Filip Sveningsson - 23.7% (Round 11)
12. Alexander Yelesin - 54% RO (Run Off)/Round 12)
13. Demetrios Koumontzis (Run Off)/Round 12)
14. Adam Ruzicka - 54% RO (Run Off)/Round 14)
15. Jon Gillies (Run Off)/Round 14)
16. Artyom Zagidulin - 59% RO (Run Off)/Round 16)
17. Glen Gawdin (Run Off)/Round 17)
18. Dustin Wolf - 59% RO (Run Off)/Round 18)
19. Eetu Tuulola (Run Off)/Round 19)
20. Milos Roman - 31.8% (Round 20)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feuk yeah.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

It’s about feuking time
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feuk pun
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went with Lerby here, but Feuk, Foo, Schneider are all here as well IMO.

I am just shocked there are so many Lomberg votes. I love this kid, and I really love his heart, but I don't see an NHL'er in him. I hope he makes it and proves me wrong since he is so likeable, but I don't even think he gets into any games this year with Lucic being in the lineup, and rarely missing games. I won't stop cheering for him to make it, but he just doesn't seem to have the prerequisite puck skills to be an NHL regular I think.

Lindstrom is an interesting one. He was hailed as the next Mikaek Backlund. I haven't seen too much of his game, but from what I have seen I have liked. He just hasn't been able to create offence. Hopefully this season he can find his offensive game, as his other aspects to his game seem to be at a fairly high level.

Nodler screams: "Hahaha you fools!" to me. He is my pick this year for making the biggest jump in the rankings next season. I can't say it is wrong for him not to have been picked yet (obviously, since I haven't voted for him yet), but the way the scouts talked about him, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the top 10 this time next year.

Philp is the last really interesting pick for me. Highly sought-after free agent who went 3 points shy of 2 points per game. Flames may really have something good here, but I guess only time will tell. Hopefully his offence translates well into the AHL and we can have a better grasp of his potential.

Also, did I miss something? I keep meaning to ask but I always forget - have we given up that Rushan Rafikov is still a prospect? Flames still own his rights, don't they? I thought they owned those rights for a few more seasons yet. Have I missed something? That is one kid who really should have come over for at least a camp and tried something different. Last word I heard was that the Flames felt he didn't progress at all. Just a shame - I thought he screamed top 4 all-around potential to me - hard shot, likes to play physical and aggravating, good puck-moving skills, moves the puck efficiently. I thought he was one of the better defencemen in Russia for his age. If only he came over and kept his development moving. With snagging his teammate Yelesin, and having Staffan Kronwall, Jakub Nakladal, and former Hitmen Brandon Kozun on the team, I am sure he got a lot of information on the Flames and Calgary in general. Rafikov was the 2nd highest scoring D on that team (Nakladal being first). I really loved his all-around game and grittiness/nastiness. Really too bad.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Went with Lerby here, but Feuk, Foo, Schneider are all here as well IMO.

I am just shocked there are so many Lomberg votes. I love this kid, and I really love his heart, but I don't see an NHL'er in him. I hope he makes it and proves me wrong since he is so likeable, but I don't even think he gets into any games this year with Lucic being in the lineup, and rarely missing games. I won't stop cheering for him to make it, but he just doesn't seem to have the prerequisite puck skills to be an NHL regular I think.

Lindstrom is an interesting one. He was hailed as the next Mikaek Backlund. I haven't seen too much of his game, but from what I have seen I have liked. He just hasn't been able to create offence. Hopefully this season he can find his offensive game, as his other aspects to his game seem to be at a fairly high level.

Nodler screams: "Hahaha you fools!" to me. He is my pick this year for making the biggest jump in the rankings next season. I can't say it is wrong for him not to have been picked yet (obviously, since I haven't voted for him yet), but the way the scouts talked about him, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the top 10 this time next year.

Philp is the last really interesting pick for me. Highly sought-after free agent who went 3 points shy of 2 points per game. Flames may really have something good here, but I guess only time will tell. Hopefully his offence translates well into the AHL and we can have a better grasp of his potential.

Also, did I miss something? I keep meaning to ask but I always forget - have we given up that Rushan Rafikov is still a prospect? Flames still own his rights, don't they? I thought they owned those rights for a few more seasons yet. Have I missed something? That is one kid who really should have come over for at least a camp and tried something different. Last word I heard was that the Flames felt he didn't progress at all. Just a shame - I thought he screamed top 4 all-around potential to me - hard shot, likes to play physical and aggravating, good puck-moving skills, moves the puck efficiently. I thought he was one of the better defencemen in Russia for his age. If only he came over and kept his development moving. With snagging his teammate Yelesin, and having Staffan Kronwall, Jakub Nakladal, and former Hitmen Brandon Kozun on the team, I am sure he got a lot of information on the Flames and Calgary in general. Rafikov was the 2nd highest scoring D on that team (Nakladal being first). I really loved his all-around game and grittiness/nastiness. Really too bad.
I agree Rafikov should be on the list. Still technically our prospect

I'm also still wondering why McKenna is on the list. Not a prospect of ours, any team could sign him right now.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I agree Rafikov should be on the list. Still technically our prospect

I'm also still wondering why McKenna is on the list. Not a prospect of ours, any team could sign him right now.
Agree on McKenna, he's on an AHL only deal, so he's not a Flames prospect at this time. Also, Foo will be UFA by the time his KHL contract expires I believe. So he shouldn't really be on the list either.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rafikov has shown zero interest in playing in North America. He is currently 24 years-old and signed for two more seasons in the KHL. Arguably, that puts him over the 25 year-old cut off for these rankings.

By that same measure, Foo shouldn't be included either.

As for McKenna, either he shouldn't be included because he's on an AHL-only deal or other under-25 players on AHL-only contracts (Corey Schueneman and Mason Morelli) should be included too.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to go with Valiev. He is signed and has already seen some NHL action. Plus I expect him to get call-ups this season.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Lomberg for the 6th time or whatever.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went with Lomberg for the same reason as before.

We're scraping for kids who might play in the NHL some day. Lomberg has played in the NHL.

I'd bet when all is said and done that he plays more NHL games than everyone else on this list combined. Even if he never plays another game in the big show.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post

We're scraping for kids who might play in the NHL some day. Lomberg has played in the NHL.

I'd bet when all is said and done that he plays more NHL games than everyone else on this list combined. Even if he never plays another game in the big show.
That may be true but Lomberg's ceiling is as a 5th liner imo. And even at that, there are better options. At least the other guys have a chance for more than that.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 PM   #13
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
That may be true but Lomberg's ceiling is as a 5th liner imo. And even at that, there are better options. At least the other guys have a chance for more than that.
Meh, in round 21 I'm fine with voting for a player who likely wont see more than spot duty in the NHL.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post

Clearly to each their own ... no worries.

But a cup of coffee energy player may have played a game or two, but he's never going to impact the outcome of a Flames game in his future, and may never play for the team again.

Give me some interesting maybe over some "already know what your best is and that's it" plug.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lerby it is...plus Haynes comparison added
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going with Lomberg once again. Lowest Highest floor and NHL potential is there.

Last edited by agulati; 08-06-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Don't post before a couple of cups of coffee
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feuk has the most impressive stats IMO
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #18
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not another Feuking run off!
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Seems to be separating a bit now.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #20
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting (shocking) to see Karnaukhov with two votes. Looked up his stats on hockeydb. He played 33 games and had 3 goals and 6 assists as a 22 year old in the KHL playing for CSKA Moscow.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote