Exp:

With many changes, no?

But yeah, I get it.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #122
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my college professors, who is both a liberal, active supporter of animal, but someone that also grew up around the Stampede - suggested that reducing the number of chucks from 4 to 3 in each heat, would dramatically lower the risk.

It seems like looking at those types of options make sense. Otherwise the arguments become too binary.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #123
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
One of my college professors, who is both a liberal, active supporter of animal, but someone that also grew up around the Stampede - suggested that reducing the number of chucks from 4 to 3 in each heat, would dramatically lower the risk.

It seems like looking at those types of options make sense. Otherwise the arguments become too binary.
The thing is though, they have already dramatically reduced the amount of bumps and collisions through recent rule changes. The deaths will happen even if we have seen the last chuck wagon crash ever.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #124
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
With many changes, no?

But yeah, I get it.
From what I’ve heard, not really. Illegal hunting is extremely prevalent to the point that the law doesn’t even matter.

Not saying you couldn’t try, but taking something away from the rich is virtually impossible. It’s us poor people that usually get the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Stuff like that would be worth considering, but even then, it just takes two to cause a crash and crashes between wagons don’t make up all the deaths. As soon as you have two wagons the risk goes up, and I think it goes up marginally after that.

The only thing I could think of would be interval starts, having all wagons on the course but having the starts separated by 10 seconds and timed. You’re not getting any wins “by a nose” exactly, but you still keep the general timing and energy of the event. Some blend between the current situation and how they do the barrels (without going to individual heats).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #125
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has to be some way to test bone density and measure what makes a sturdy horse. Your horse has to measure up one way or another and if thoroughbreds don't meet the standard then they don't run. If only the biggest baddest slowest thoroughbreds get to run then so be it. That would start a different line of breeding and likely fix close to all but the missteps and crashes.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #126
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks to Danielle Smith once again for digging into the chuck wagon discussion today.

So many different parts to this. I want to specifically look at this as a Calgarian and I am ignoring the larger issues about the lives of the racehorses and the economics for those that live and work in this sport.

6 deaths in 10 days is unacceptable. The inherent risk of the sport is too high for the city to continue to be associated with it. The rodeo events had zero deaths. The chucks should be suspended indefinitely from Stampede unless the racing associations can propose to govern their sport in such a way that the inherent risk is drastically reduced.

I am a proud Albertan (admittedly urban/suburban) who believes in celebrating agricultural/western heritage. But these deaths take away from everything Stampede is trying to do.

Change the sport or create a new sporting event. Our history can be celebrated without allowing these deaths to occur as a natural part of a sport that is a headline event for the city.
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #127
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Edit double post
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #128
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read this on FaceBook the other day, posted by Cody Risdale and his wife...

"I'd like everyone to meet Wild. Wild has a pretty cool story that I feel the world could benefit from hearing today. Looking back I think our lives changed the day we picked up Wild 6 years ago.
Wild had 1 start on the racetrack, earning less than $100 dollars. But he LOVED to run! So much so that no exercise rider could control him and every exercise was a runaway, literally. And one day he decided he didn't want to be held back again and ran so hard he hurt his suspensory ligament in his left front leg. So now Wild is a 2 year old with an injury that has ended any chance at furthering his race career. And this is a horse that would NOT make someone a light riding trail horse, he would not have any part of that. He is a handful to lead around most days I couldn't imagine trying to take him on a long slow trail ride. This is where the horse whisperers are going to come at me and say he just has to go through the 'steps' and any horse can be tamed. This is where I have to laugh, they just don't get it. If someone could have conquered him(unlikely), his injured ligament would most likely not hold up to any weight on his back. Lucky for Wild he had an amazing owner who took him home and turned him out into the pasture until he could find a suitable home for him. Lucky for US, we were that home. All winter we hooked Wild to the wagon with a draft horse and everyday Wild met us at the gate and drug me to the wagon so we could be hooked up. We knew he was going to be a good one once we could convince him that we should somewhat control this runaway he wanted to be on everyday.
Wild is 9 years old now, he has been our main left leader on the 1 and 2 barrel outfit for the passed 5 years. He pushed his head into the collar and still literally drags me to the wagon at night to be hooked up. He explodes when the horn goes and tries his guts out around the track. One lap isn't enough for Wild, he'd prefer to go around again. Cody's arms may be short but they are mighty, but just watch him try and pull Wild up after the race tonight. It's not easy. I've literally been standing on the backside of the track and heard Cody yell "Ok Wild, we're done buddy, that's enough".
Wild will race tonight, off the 1 barrel, because he WANTS to and he LOVES his job. I wish everyone got to see the spark in his eye when he put the harness on him. He living his best life! A controlled runaway everytime he hits the track! Cody and I laugh all the time, whatever Wild wants, Wild gets. He wants his Soft ride boots on, now he wants them off, wants to walk beside this horse today, wants the tote of oats open for him by his stall. ����#♀️
Wild is currently napping in his stall, full of fresh shavings, clean water, all the hay he can eat and a bucket full of the best grain possible formulated just for racehorses like him. He's wearing a ceramic/magnetic blanket to make sure his muscles are fully oxygenated for tonight's race. An hour before races, we will breathe in saline through the nebulizer to help clear and open his lungs. He will stand on the Theraplate for 20 minutes, a vibrating plate to warm up his ligaments, tendons and muscles. He will strut his stuff for the track vets to show that he is sound and healthy for tonight's races. Then he will be harnessed and not so patiently wait for the nights races.
Trust me when I say this, there is absolutely no way he could get these horses to pull a wagon and run if they didn't want to. And we have had ones that didn't want to, and I have made sure I found them good homes and new careers. Which isn't easy by the way. Off the track thoroughbreds aren't many peoples 'cup of tea'.
If Wild decides he doesn't want to be a wagon horses one day, so be it. We would respect that 100%. He doesn't owe us a darn thing, he can retire in the pasture and live out his days eating grass with the broodmares.
Thank you Wild for allowing us to be 'your people'. ❤"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #129
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
That's what they said about Fox hunting in the UK
Steeplechase horse racing is still popular in Europe (and the UK particularly) even though it's quite dangerous for horses.

For every 1,000 horses taking part in modern steeplechase races, the number of fatalities is just over four, according to the British Horseracing Authority; research by Anglia Ruskin University states the rate is six per 1,000 horses.[89] However, deaths in the Grand National are higher than the average steeplechase, with six deaths per 439 horses between 2000 and 2010.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #130
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a cool race horse story too. My barn claimed a horse in 1999 named Candid Cookie. We owned him for a week and hadn't even moved him over to our stable when a barn fire at the stampede grounds burned him very badly. There was a picture on the front page of the Sun of me holding him in front of the burning barn. The burning roof collapsed onto his back and burned every inch from his withers to his tail. It was awful and he should have been put down. His new owners were really great people and agreed to treat his injuries instead of putting him down as long as I would tend to his daily needs....he had skin grafts and required daily bandage care and daily treatments for months. So much salve.

He stood in his barn for nine months costing fortunes with literally no chance of ever being ridden again. Eventually he healed and still had a desire to run. He made no money for our barn, never once had another rider on his back but we gave him to a well know chuckwagon team who ran him in four stampedes and kept him in their stable until 2009 when he stepped on a nail and died of an ensuing infection. He had a great life and I'm proud to this day to have known him and cared for him.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: