Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #3141
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, because women's tennis is in such amazing shape...

I do agree though, outside of the big 3 no one is even an Andy Roddick / Lleyton Hewitt level threat. Not since Murray was good, anyway.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #3142
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

and holy this doubles tennis.. zzzzz hahaha
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #3143
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, because women's tennis is in such amazing shape...

I do agree though, outside of the big 3 no one is even an Andy Roddick / Lleyton Hewitt level threat. Not since Murray was good, anyway.
Yeah true. Still can't believe they don't play 5 sets in grand slams though. It's 2019! they have good enough trainers and coaches.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #3144
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That'd be one way to guarantee that Serena never catches Court, so I'm in favour.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #3145
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019 Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Novak is in his prime right now and there is absolutely NO competition for him except for the seniors tour. It's a cake walk for him every tourney.

When you have average players like Zverev, Anderson, Thiem, Tsitispas and Nishikori in the top 10 this is prob the worst shape Men's tennis has ever been.

I mean the Women get equal pay to play 3 setters! Might be equal rights but it's prob more due to the shambles men's tennis is in and the women draw better.

I’d agree with this, which is why it may be difficult to use Majors to justify who is the GOAT given that there’s a possibility Roger and Rafa regress to a point where Novak has no competition in the near future. Where Roger has always had Rafa and Novak to challenge him, Novak could also be the benefactor of age and tennis’s current lack of a new generational star to challenge him which may allow him to clean up the majors over the next 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 07-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #3146
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Roger had almost half of his before Rafa and Novak were really in much of a position to challenge him. But frankly it wouldn't have mattered.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #3147
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019 Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, Roger had almost half of his before Rafa and Novak were really in much of a position to challenge him. But frankly it wouldn't have mattered.

That’s also true, I think what I’m trying to say is that it will be very difficult to distinguish who is the GOAT and it will not be a clear cut answer. I mean Roger easily could’ve beaten Novak today and he’s 37 which is absolutely mind boggling to me. The debate will continue

Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #3148
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Ah I mean you are probably right, I forgot roger had those lean years in 2013-2014. My point is Roger in his athletic prime was more dominant and more impressive than Novak. Novak very well may catch both him and Rafa in terms of majors but i think it’s a bit disingenuous when you make legacy statements off of what 37 year old roger did vs 32 year old Novak. What Roger is doing at this age is next level unreal.

It's just such a mental sport. What Roger has done at 37 is amazing, but what Novak does in matches like this, where he just plays the biggest points with the highest level of focus, is just as hard. Two championship points and he comes back. First to do it since 2004. The tiebreaks today, what was the difference? Roger got tight and started spraying forehands, and Novak played three perfect breakers. The mental pressure Novak constantly puts guys under is what separates him from Roger and Rafa. They beat you with their games. Novak beats you with his mind.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #3149
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1150482158794022912
Old 07-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #3150
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the US Open will be a very tough test for the big 3, players like Thiem, Wawrinka, Tsitsipas can absolutely beat any of the big 3 on a good day. Wawrinka looks like he is getting back after knee surgery and given his ranking he would be an early round match up for someone. Even Kyrgios, Felix , Cilic , Shapo will be much harder to beat at the US Open than Clay or grass.

I don't think Federer is at his peak, he is playing good but in 2006 he went 90-1 versus everyone not named Nadal (2-4 vs Nadal woot). A prime Federer doesn't lose to Thiem at IW and I love Thiem's game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #3151
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1150524738697080833
Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #3152
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Roger and Rafa can't play a full tour schedule anymore, which pretty much guarantee's Novak will stay #1 for a long time. I fully expect the opposite from Rafa to play Canada and pull out of Cincy like he did last year.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #3153
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
The great season keeps on rolling for Schnur. The event wins will start coming sooner or later. The fact he's consistently going deep and now starting to acclimatize to atp events, says a lot about his game.

I suspect he still is yet to peak. We might see him touch the top 75 this year now that his ranking will allow him to play bigger events.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #3154
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's just such a mental sport. What Roger has done at 37 is amazing, but what Novak does in matches like this, where he just plays the biggest points with the highest level of focus, is just as hard. Two championship points and he comes back. First to do it since 2004. The tiebreaks today, what was the difference? Roger got tight and started spraying forehands, and Novak played three perfect breakers. The mental pressure Novak constantly puts guys under is what separates him from Roger and Rafa. They beat you with their games. Novak beats you with his mind.
There were so many points during that match where I said to myself, will Novak ever go for a shot? He's playing for the Wimbledon title and all he's doing is playing the angles to death......its certainly not entertaining to watch him, but he's damn good at staying within his means and pulling the rope tighter and tighter with each shot.

Roger certainly got suckered into trying to hit past Novak in the end instead of sticking to what was working the previous set. Too bad.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 07-15-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #3155
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

a huge chunk of Roger's physical and emotional reserve was spent wrestling down Rafa on Friday. the fact that he was even in position to finish Djoker off with just one more shot is a lot more than many here were predicting. but for me this is like watching the Flames be up a goal with 5 seconds to go in game 7, only to get scored on and lose in triple OT. except without having a bar full of other fans to drink and share the moping with.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #3156
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wimbledon Champions portrait:

Spoiler!

Novak last year brought back the Wimbledon first dance tradition with Women's champion Angelique Kerber

The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #3157
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The great season keeps on rolling for Schnur. The event wins will start coming sooner or later. The fact he's consistently going deep and now starting to acclimatize to atp events, says a lot about his game.

I suspect he still is yet to peak. We might see him touch the top 75 this year now that his ranking will allow him to play bigger events.
No rest for Brayden this week as he's playing a grass tourney (International Tennis Hall of Fame Open in Newport, Rhode Island) this week. He plays on Tuesday against Aussie Matthew Ebden. John Isner is the top seed.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #3158
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomic the Tank Engine was also playing in Newport (was is bolded because he lost in straight sets earlier today to Ilya Ivashka of Belarus).
Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #3159
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how Tomic manages to get into main draws of things like Wimbledon. He's outside the top 100 and all you ever hear about is him losing all the time.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #3160
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough one for Brayden Schnur today as he loses to Matthew Ebden in three sets - Not entirely unexpected given the quick travel and transition from hard court to grass.
Closed Thread