Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2023, 01:42 PM   #261
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random thought:

I think the change in retirement rules helped contribute to lack of trades.

Disclaimer... This is from someone who has been very sidetracked with work recently and hasn't been very active. So no high horse here.

I'd be a fan of the rules about buyouts on retired players coming back

Currently, teams throw money at UFAs, or trade for vets knowing that there are no longer consequences because, should that player retire, no cap plenty exists. Instead, the player simply goes off the books and teams are rewarded with extra cap and can make a call up fill those shoes

A few years ago, that retired player came with a buyout penalty. Teams closer to the cap limit might have been thrown into a deficit and thus forced to make a trade. Those were fun times.

I enjoyed the strategic element to bidding on UFAs and trading for older players that came with the buyout penalties.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #262
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
What's the cost here? I have more researched this at all but would contribute as well
It’s not a cost thing
It’s understanding what needs to happen to technically implement it
Would love if someone could take lead on that working with yourself and Cam

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 02-12-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:14 PM   #263
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Random thought:

I think the change in retirement rules helped contribute to lack of trades.

Disclaimer... This is from someone who has been very sidetracked with work recently and hasn't been very active. So no high horse here.

I'd be a fan of the rules about buyouts on retired players coming back

Currently, teams throw money at UFAs, or trade for vets knowing that there are no longer consequences because, should that player retire, no cap plenty exists. Instead, the player simply goes off the books and teams are rewarded with extra cap and can make a call up fill those shoes

A few years ago, that retired player came with a buyout penalty. Teams closer to the cap limit might have been thrown into a deficit and thus forced to make a trade. Those were fun times.

I enjoyed the strategic element to bidding on UFAs and trading for older players that came with the buyout penalties.
The reason we got rid of that was too much ambiguity with whether a player is retired or not
Old 02-12-2023, 10:06 PM   #264
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about instituting a limit on the number of picks that can be owned for the upcoming draft till the trade deadline and only during the regular season. I also found it weird that I can own all the picks for the draft but can only hold 15 ECHLers.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:18 PM   #265
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry not sure I understand
Old 02-12-2023, 10:49 PM   #266
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sorry not sure I understand

I think he means people are capped at say 8 picks for the coming draft, but can have as many as they want for the draft for the following season to use as capital.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:37 AM   #267
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Currently there is no limit on the picks a team can hold. There appears to be a roster limit or cap on other ways to hold assets. I was just asking if there was any appetite to change that
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #268
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Currently there is no limit on the picks a team can hold. There appears to be a roster limit or cap on other ways to hold assets. I was just asking if there was any appetite to change that
I internally try to match up what my team can handle in terms of picks, but I also see teams taking the strategy of loading up numerically and then dropping large numbers of draftees after they see where the players are drafted IRL.

I'm not sure if the number of picks is the problem, so much as the quality of picks concentrating more on the established teams. That's one reason why I suggested a prize for playoff success, because it offers another route to a valuable pick.

I've been GM of the Kings for three drafts (took over during the first one) and have had two mid-firsts in that time. I've done prospect hunting on the trade front and have had some success on longshots that hit. Although for every Parssinen, there are about four Bokks. It's definitely a grind.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #269
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the cost here? I have more researched this at all but would contribute as well

I think the website would have to transition to a STHS standard Jon. Then I think the below section applies to the how its done. Would be great if you could talk to someone thats done this before to get some assistance.
/edit Knut knows someone that can help us...

5.3 - How manage lines from your GM

Your GM have 2 options to change their lines: the STHS Client or the WebClient. This section will help you understand the options for both methods, and both heavily depend on the version 3 dynamic website being up to date. In ALL cases, your website URL option in the Output Option, 'Folder' Tab needs to be correctly entered and the ‘Automatically Load Lines Files and Database from Lines Input Folder’ in the League Option, 'Teams' Tab should be activated.

If any of your GM is using the STHS Client, there are two options to upload lines to the commissioner.
  • The ‘Upload Lines’ feature on your league dynamic website under the Main menu. If you have a custom website, the "UploadFiles.php" file should be on your website.
  • The automatic STHS Client upload feature. If you have a custom website, the ‘UploadSTHSClient.php’ file should be on your website. For this option to work from the STHS Client, you either need to
    • Activate the ‘Force Lines File upload by HTTP after save’ option in the League Option, 'League #2' Tab available since version 3.2.6
    • Or if your ‘Download Lines from FTP before simulation’ option in the Output Option, 'FTP' Tab is activated, the STHS Client will ask if you want to try an automatic upload.
In both cased, the lines will be uploaded in a folder called ‘linesupload’ on your website server.

Please note that in version 3.2.4 or previous version of the STHS Client, the STHS Client could upload the lines file directly by FTP. This feature was removed in 3.2.5 because of issues with a lot of FTP servers and it was not secured.

For the commissioner, there are 3 options to retrieve the lines.
  • By using the ‘Download Lines Files by HTTP’ option under the League Option, 'Teams' Tab. This option is available version 3.2.7 or more. For custom website, it requires the ‘DownloadSTHSClientFiles.php’ file to be on your website. This is the recommend option and the easiest to setup because the simulator automatically downloads in your STHS Input Folder and deletes lines files upload on the dynamic website.
  • By using the ‘Download Lines from FTP before simulation’ option. See the Output Option, 'FTP' Tab for more information.
  • Using your favorites FTP client like FileZilla to manually download the files on your computer, inside the STHS Input Folder.
If one of your GM is using the WebClient, the lines are saved directly in SQLite database on the server so there no action required by the GM other than changing his lines. For commissioner, to process the database, you must activate the ‘Load SQLite Database from Website before Loading Lines Files’ option under the League Option, 'Teams' Tab and optionality the ‘Load Transactions from SQLite Database’ if you want to process transaction from the dynamic website.

Last edited by Cheese; 02-13-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote