Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #41
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Iowa you getting hungry yet?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #42
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Damn you, Thor. Damn you.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #43
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I should just send you the hotdogs and stuff in the mail, usually gets through and doesn't cost a fortune like nammi.is
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #44
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I wouldn't say no to some OPAL and Kulur.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #45
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Added some audio for this video a while back. Thought it was a little late to add on the older thread but due to this thread being created I figured I'd put it up. Just a bit of SFX.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 06-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Your video isn't showing up for me, is anyone else able to see it?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #47
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Your video isn't showing up for me, is anyone else able to see it?
here's a link
Old 06-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #48
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh my brothers video, yeah when he added the music it made the video that much better.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #49
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh for those considering going, the new Winnipeg direct to Iceland flights with Icelandexpress.com are dirt cheap, in high season like July 2 weeks is only about $950 CAD return.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #50
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Oh my brothers video, yeah when he added the music it made the video that much better.
I quite liked the music! I'm a big fan of Natural sound as well so I grabbed about 4 or 5 volcano nat sounds, helicopter and layered them in.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #51
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

More pics of Icelandic women.

Thats what the people want!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #52
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
I quite liked the music! I'm a big fan of Natural sound as well so I grabbed about 4 or 5 volcano nat sounds, helicopter and layered them in.
Yeah great job it really added another layer to it!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #53
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What would the cost be to have an 'icelandic style' wool sweater sent to Canada?

~bug
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #54
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
What would the cost be to have an 'icelandic style' wool sweater sent to Canada?

~bug
I'll check around see what people recommend, I'm assuming you want an online store kind of thing?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #55
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

2 new high quality webcams up for Gullfoss (golden falls) and Geysir.

http://www.inspiredbyiceland.com/icelandlive/#gullfoss

http://www.inspiredbyiceland.com/icelandlive/#geysir
Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #56
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post

~bug

They are actually a little pricey. Might be different with the krona being so low these days, but don't be shocked if it's well over 180 dollars.

You won't find a warmer sweater, though. Personally, if I were looking for something practical and Icelandic right now, I'd go to
http://www.66north.com

They have a small selection of "traditional" Icelandic wool sweaters at
http://www.nordicstore.net

There might be other online retailers selling them out of Iceland--but if that's so, then Thor's your man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #57
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool thread Thor

Couple questions as I might have some time to burn this summer and I could really get away from this heat,

- what is the cost of things in Iceland for someone who visits there? (restraunts, groceries, hotel, etc)

- what are some of the best kept secret sights to see in Iceland?

- what are some other great things to try in Iceland? (i.e. is there paragliding or something cool like that?)

- what are my options (and the best options) for travelling around?

- which airport is the best airport to fly into?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #58
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just about to book my trip to Iceland for labor day weekend, so any tips (like those asked for above) would be greatly appreciated. Also, where's the best place for me to steal your native women?
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #59
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Cool thread Thor

Couple questions as I might have some time to burn this summer and I could really get away from this heat,

- what is the cost of things in Iceland for someone who visits there? (restraunts, groceries, hotel, etc)

- what are some other great things to try in Iceland? (i.e. is there paragliding or something cool like that?)

Uh.... yeah. About that.....

I can definitively without any hesitation say that Keflavik International is far and away the best airport for coming into Iceland....
Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #60
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Well for groceries/restaurants/hotels because the Icelandic Krona collapsed so much the Canadian dollar is double what it was 1yr ago, so it used to be $1 = 58kr, now its $1 = 128kr. So things now finally are reasonable in Iceland, it used to be a pricey place to visit, but its not a cheap place to visit either.

However having said that there are hostles, there are B&B's and lots of tours/operators having sales/deals to bring people in, even Icelandair offers some reasonable packages.

The biggest cost in Iceland is booze, so typically people drink before they go out and bars don't get hopping till about 12am-1am, in fact if visiting a night out on Saturday night is highly recommended for its sheer insanity and a great way to enjoy drunken Icelanders at their finest.

Normally tourist bureau websites for most countries are not that great, but this one recently revamped is pretty excellent to answer all your questions.

http://www.visiticeland.com/

Quote:
If you like partying, the biggest party of the year outside of New Years which is unbelievable fun, is the 1st weekend in August which is a long weekend and most of the country shuts down to go camping/partying. In that weekend you can go to areas known for their age group/rowdyness, but anywhere you go as a tourist you're sure to meet lots of people and have a blast.

If you don't mind the near 23hrs of darkness around new years, btw the weather is usually very mild in winter here, about 0c average.. Then the spectacle that is the fireworks on new years eve is unmatched in the world. Its something I think everyone should have on their bucket list, a must see at least once in your life.

Again something the locals love to do is camping or renting summer cabins, cabins are very very popular here and there are areas where you find both and in those is a great place to bring a tent and have some fun.

Now again these are party themed ideas, but there are lots of other options like people who want to bike around the country, kyak, do mountain jeep treks, snowmobile on the glacier, etc.. All those things you can find on the website, again if you do get serious about the planning I'd gladly help you narrow down choices and get you some info on whatever you want.

Quote:
Did I mention super jeeps! Crazy fun, my brother in law has one and of course will have tons of suggestions if thats something you'd be interested in. Just to give you an idea, again minus the snow if you want to do this in summer, the glacier is still there then

Landmannalaugar is a really scenic area to hike/camp, its often popular with locals and tourists so again socially its a fun place to be, and you have your own natural hotsprings right by you which is more common than you think in Iceland.

Quick shot of the hotspring it stretches for a fair bit, but this is the main spot where people get in:

The trip really depends on what you prefer, in city stuff, museums, clubs/cafe's, and out of city stuff, camping, hiking etc.. I mean I suggest to everyone to do both!

Quote:

On a budget, there are passes in Reykjavik which allow you to take the buses, city and tour buses to check out the city/towns around Reykjavik. There are also bus shuttles that will take you out to places like Gullfoss, Geysir and other popular stops.

If you have some money, you can rent a car, there's lots of deals right now even with private owners of nice jeeps since they are looking to make money off renting their fancy jeeps, just have to pay for the insurance as well locally.

As for airport, there is only one international and its KEF, or Keflavik, you often see sites refer to Reykjavik airport but its always KEF, the drive in from Keflavik to Reykjavik is about 20-30 mins, and depending on how you do the trip planning there are a few choices on how to get into town, keeping in mind you are pretty close to the blue lagoon when you land, maybe start off with a few hours in that amazing place before you head into town, there are shuttles of course for the blue lagoon.

Hope thats enough to get you started, I'll do some more digging myself, I have a friend coming this summer and he's asked me to check on similar things.