Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #541
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I've been pretty consistent in throwing the Oilers a bone this season because they have good underlying numbers, so I'm certainly going to give the Flames the same benefit of the doubt.
I wouldn't give them the same benefit of the doubt, since they don't have similarily good underlying numbers.

5v5 xGF% (Score-Adjusted)
Oilers - 59.15 (1st in NHL, 1st in West)
Flames - 48.92 (18th in NHL, 9th in West)

5v5 CF% (Score-Adjusted)
Oilers - 55.35 (1st in NHL, 1st in West)
Flames - 49.95 (14th in NHL, 6th in West)

5v5 GF% (Score-Adjusted)
Oilers - 46.39 (21st in NHL, 9th in West)
Flames - 51.18 (14th in NHL, 7th in West)

I don't want to read too much into the numbers, but it's safe to say that the Flames are about where they deserve to be, while the Oilers have a legitimate argument for being unlucky.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #542
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hawks took a serious step ahead when they replaced Savard with Quennville.

It instilled a professionalism in the Hawks that was lacking before.

Hosea helped bring that to the table also, along with a maturing Toews.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #543
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is the first I have heard that cost was a factor in GG’s hiring. Are we saying cost is the reason Boudreau was apparently not considered?
The Flames only stopped paying Hartley about 6 months ago.

The Flames aren't to want to pay GG 800k to sit at home while paying a new coach 2 or 3 or 4 million bucks to coach the roster. Same with the assistants
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #544
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The Hawks took a serious step ahead when they replaced Savard with Quennville.

It instilled a professionalism in the Hawks that was lacking before.

Hosea helped bring that to the table also, along with a maturing Toews.
The hawks were willing to spend money just to have Coach Q on retainer as an advisor prior to the firing.

He was already in house, waiting for the opportunity to re-emerge.

Unless the Flames have Toe Blake on retainer already with the organization I don't think there is a similar solution out there for Calgary.

Maybe Al MacNeil can coach them to success?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #545
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What???? Johnson playing incredible for a stretch and then Elliot all of a sudden catching fire was a HUGE part of that second half record, especially during the win streak.
Any time a team is on a winning streak, the goalies are going to be a part of it, but it's not like Elliott carried the team on his back in the second half of the season-he's not good enough to do that. The team starting playing the way they are supposed to play, and that in turn made it easier for Elliott to put up good numbers.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #546
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

It's all good guys, we can close this thread now. Flames won.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #547
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Gg for jack adams
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #548
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Gg for jack adams
We're back to .500! Knee jerk adverted
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #549
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I wouldn't give them the same benefit of the doubt, since they don't have similarily good underlying numbers.

5v5 xGF% (Score-Adjusted)
Oilers - 59.15 (1st in NHL, 1st in West)
Flames - 48.92 (18th in NHL, 9th in West)

5v5 CF% (Score-Adjusted)
Oilers - 55.35 (1st in NHL, 1st in West)
Flames - 49.95 (14th in NHL, 6th in West)

5v5 GF% (Score-Adjusted)
Oilers - 46.39 (21st in NHL, 9th in West)
Flames - 51.18 (14th in NHL, 7th in West)

I don't want to read too much into the numbers, but it's safe to say that the Flames are about where they deserve to be, while the Oilers have a legitimate argument for being unlucky.
Well first I never equated Calgary and Edmonton.

I just said if I'm going to give the Oilers the benefit of the doubt for their underlying numbers I'm certainly going to do the same if there are stats that look similar for the Flames.

Additionally I talked about how they are trending a certain way, so showing season totals doesn't really do the trick.

First 6 Games
4-2-0
GF/GA - 17-17
CF% 5on5 - 49.6%
CF% All Situations - 47.8%
HDCF% 5on5 - 45.7%
HDCF% All Situations - 47.7%
Shooting Percentage 5on5 - 6.6%
Shooting Percentage All Situations - 9.0%

Last 6 Games
2-4-0
GF/GA - 10-16
CF% 5on5 - 53.5%
CF% All Situations - 53.1%
HDCF% 5on5 - 58.3%
HDCF% All Situations - 57.4%
Shooting Percentage 5on5 - 5.9%
Shooting Percentage All Situations - 5.3%

I see a team playing better but squeezing their sticks. Don't think that's much of a reach either.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #550
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should also be noted to put things into perspective, is we are currently tied in points for the last wild card spot, and a single point behind the 3rd Pacific spot. This team maybe stumbling, but they aren't digging themselves into a hole that would need a god mode streak to get back into things.

I think as Bingo stated above, the team is pointed in the right direction, good things will happen.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #551
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing I know about GG's system is his team breakout. It was working last night because the players did what they were supposed to do. It's doesn't discourage the D from joining the rush, or making the odd foray in deep. What it requires is forwards tobe able to accept the first, preferably short, pass. Until this game, they were too high which actually hinders the D from coming up ice because they have to make a longer pass, and can't risk skating the puck because there's no support.

I think the PP setup is fine, they just need execution. It's mainly Versteeg taking too long to decide what to do, which allows defenders to adjust. I don't mind Brouwer in front - he does that as well as any replacement guy is going to do. But Versteeg and Brodie need to move that puck around quicker so the shot can come before the D and goalie are set up. Johnny and Monahan move it quick enough IMO.

The PK was better last night, especially the first one. They are best when they are "medium aggressive" - moving their feet and challenging the perimeter. They had good sticks all night.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #552
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The one thing I know about GG's system is his team breakout. It was working last night because the players did what they were supposed to do. It's doesn't discourage the D from joining the rush, or making the odd foray in deep. What it requires is forwards tobe able to accept the first, preferably short, pass. Until this game, they were too high which actually hinders the D from coming up ice because they have to make a longer pass, and can't risk skating the puck because there's no support.

I think the PP setup is fine, they just need execution. It's mainly Versteeg taking too long to decide what to do, which allows defenders to adjust. I don't mind Brouwer in front - he does that as well as any replacement guy is going to do. But Versteeg and Brodie need to move that puck around quicker so the shot can come before the D and goalie are set up. Johnny and Monahan move it quick enough IMO.

The PK was better last night, especially the first one. They are best when they are "medium aggressive" - moving their feet and challenging the perimeter. They had good sticks all night.
Great point on the breakout. I dont like the PP setup because it seems like the design is centered around getting Versteeg either the shot or the redirect pass to Monahan, and once teams close those two lanes Versteeg isnt good enough to create something else. To me the trigger man should be Gaudreau over there, then if the lanes are blocked at least you have a guy who can create something else. Put Hamilton in Gaudreaus spot and now you also have cross ice one timer option. One thing that is working well is the entrance on the PP, they have that down perfect.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #553
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
Great point on the breakout. I dont like the PP setup because it seems like the design is centered around getting Versteeg either the shot or the redirect pass to Monahan, and once teams close those two lanes Versteeg isnt good enough to create something else. To me the trigger man should be Gaudreau over there, then if the lanes are blocked at least you have a guy who can create something else. Put Hamilton in Gaudreaus spot and now you also have cross ice one timer option. One thing that is working well is the entrance on the PP, they have that down perfect.
Lots of people complain about that back pass. I agree it looks odd because it's so far back, and they do it so much. But (a) lots of teams do it so it's not some weird invention and (b) it works almost every time.

I've figured out that it's not so much to catch the PK flatfooted in order to buzz by them, as much as passing back to a skater who now can see how the defenders have positioned themselves (kind of like in football when the receivers run up to the line and then back off).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #554
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generally speaking I like GG. However, the thing that does bug me from time to time are his on-ice combo's and ice-time usage. I have to think that all the coaches and management sees the same thing that we see: the 4th line is getting too much ice time, the 3rd pair and 4th line are together too often, etc. The only reason I can think that this is happening is perhaps the team is managing the minutes of the top 6 so that they can maintain production rather than go through a couple burnouts throughout the season. Because this team is focused on contending for the Cup I suspect that they really want to get all of the players involved as much as possible in order to build depth and prepare for the playoffs. They want to get to a position where they can roll four lines. I don't particularly like sitting Kulak for Bartkowski but in the long term it's probably the right strategy to have 7 capable defensemen heading into the playoffs.

We live and die with each win or loss but I think the team is being managed and coached with the big prize in mind.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #555
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
We live and die with each win or loss but I think the team is being managed and coached with the big prize in mind.
This is such a good point. It's sometimes frustrating to watch the process. But my sense is that Gulutzan makes decisions with April in mind as much as he does to winning the next game.
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #556
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotiou22 View Post
This is such a good point. It's sometimes frustrating to watch the process. But my sense is that Gulutzan makes decisions with April in mind as much as he does to winning the next game.

Seems like hes plannig is a 2 year process
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #557
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like hes plannig is a 2 year process
It's a young core. The seasons are long. Good to have longterm plan.
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #558
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That could very well be, but my issue is that (recent win aside) we seem to look no better than we did during our poor stretches last year. I think the only difference between last year and this year is our goal-tending has bailed us out, otherwise we are in Oilers territory.

I don't think GG will get fired this year, but I also don't believe he is a long term solution.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #559
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's a young core. The seasons are long. Good to have longterm plan.
There is zero evidence to suggest improvement.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #560
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There is zero evidence to suggest improvement.
Your relentless.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote