Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Except tanev knows how to play defense and has shown that the whole time. BTW Bogosian total is 82 vs 108 for tanev, over 25% difference... which is actually pretty different. Throw in the better d and it's not even close.
Definitely not worth the effort: but for that time period Bogosian was .27 ppg and Tanev was .26.

Neither is getting paid for offense.

Hamonic was 128 pts for .29 pts over the same period so don't expect the Flames to get more scoring from their defense
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except tanev knows how to play defense and has shown that the whole time. BTW Bogosian total is 82 vs 108 for tanev, over 25% difference... which is actually pretty different. Throw in the better d and it's not even close.
Tanev is better for sure.

The problem is with a tight salary cap it’s not clear that he’s 3 extra years and $3.5M of cap hit better than a guy like Bogosian.

IMO Hamonic will be the telling signing. If he signs for like 2 years and $2.5M it just proves that the Flames grossly overpaid for Tanev.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it 3 years and $17M better?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The problem is with a tight salary cap it’s not clear that he’s 3 extra years and $3.5M of cap hit better than a guy like Bogosian.

IMO Hamonic will be the telling signing. If he signs for like 2 years and $2.5M it just proves that the Flames grossly overpaid for Tanev.
Hamonic will definitely come in less than Tanev. He devalued himself with his bubble decision.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that the Flames pro scouting is good, because it hasn't been. Brouwer was inexcusable. He scored some fluke goals for the Blues in the playoffs and Tre AND the market got fooled. As for Neal, definitely on Treliving as I bet he and the staff didn't even bother to do any scouting on this one and just looked at Neal's hockeydb stat sheet and thought "oh, he's guaranteed for 20 goals and I hear here's a dirty player too".

Having said all that, all of these guys (Brouwer, Neal, Tanev) are Unrestricted Free Agents which means the market dictates their price.

I have a hard time believing that Treliving is just going out and paying way over market for a player. He is known as turning over every stone and having his hands in on every deal out there. Look at how he acquired the 3rd round picks at the draft and got the player he wanted. He KNOWS what is going on and what the market value is of players and he pays it.

If Hamonic comes in less than Tanev, that's because that's the market value of Hamonic, not Tanev. The Flames signed Tanev for market, which means other teams were willing to offer similar price and terms.

Treliving definitely needs to do better pro scouting and in the cases like Brouwer and Neal, not get caught up in what the market value is, but I don't think the dollar values are the issue, as I think he is very in tune to what the market price is. His problem is the pro scouting aspect.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Or, it proves that Hamonic isn't as good.

Or, it proves that Hamonic had no bargaining power because he had a very short list.

Or, a combination of those and other factors.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #26
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not thrilled with the Tanev signing, but he is MILES better than Bogosian. Bogosian, IIRC, had this high upside when he entered the league, but it never materialized. I fear Tanev's contract will be a buyout candidate here, but in terms of actually trying to win, Tanev moves the needle a lot more I think, even when comparing the differing costs between Tanev and Bogosian on the cap.

1yr, 1 million sounds pretty fair for him at this point, at least when you factor in the economic climate. Some players at this level better start signing for cheap soon or they are going to miss out on a spot.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #27
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was it too good a deal to pass up or do the Leafs not really think Sandin and Lilljegren are ready?
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #28
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandin and Liljegren are good for limited minutes. I don't think they're the players you can expect to step in and make a huge difference like certain high draft picks do. I like what the Leafs are doing with them, but I personally don't think they have high upsides offensively. Both should be solid two way puck movers though.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote