Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #61
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
And as soon as he gets pushback, like this morning from Rhett and Boomer, he starts the deflection argument "well what option is better". Then Boomer said Markstrom only costs money not assets.

Hard to have a sane discussion with someone who thinks their ideas are the only ones worth discussing. What does he think he gains trading Monahan money only to give $4M to Anderson and $2.8M to Korpisalo. He didn't even think it lowered the Flames center ice strength.
This is a dangerous mindset to have on free agency day.

Every 3-5 million is probably worth a second round pick. 5 to 7 million is probably worth a first. And this is only for one year.
If you overpay someone by 2 million a year for 5 years, that's 10 million extra dollars against the cap. It would cost more than a first round pick to off-load something like that.

So the asset may be "free to acquire". But it could end up costing a lot more by using valuable cap space.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #62
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBJ considering a buyout for Alex Wennberg

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sport...ce/3627361001/

Quote:
Wennberg was still 25 as of June 15, which is important in the context of the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. Players who are 25 or younger as of June 15 each season can have their contracts bought out for one-third of the money left on the deal. In Wennberg’s case, the Jackets would pay him $5.35 million spread over six seasons if they bought him out, saving $10.7 million for two voided seasons.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #63
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no goalie on the trade block that has a great contract to acquire. Kuemper would be enticing if that was a 4 year deal but I am not interested in giving up a 1st for 2 years where he would be 1.5M cheaper than Markstrom who would also come with 5-6 years of term.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #64
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This is a dangerous mindset to have on free agency day.

Every 3-5 million is probably worth a second round pick. 5 to 7 million is probably worth a first. And this is only for one year.
If you overpay someone by 2 million a year for 5 years, that's 10 million extra dollars against the cap. It would cost more than a first round pick to off-load something like that.

So the asset may be "free to acquire". But it could end up costing a lot more by using valuable cap space.
I understand this but let's use Murray as an example. You trade assets, say a 1st and Kyllington for him and his RFA status. It will cost you $5M to sign him, so you have spent assets plus cap space to acquire him with no replacement in the future from loss of draft pick. Now let's do Markstrom, you sign him for $5.5M, all you have lost is cash, kept your assets and have the draft pick in the future to allow you to trade a contract for more assets. Why to you automatically assume you overpay someone?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #65
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I understand this but let's use Murray as an example. You trade assets, say a 1st and Kyllington for him and his RFA status. It will cost you $5M to sign him, so you have spent assets plus cap space to acquire him with no replacement in the future from loss of draft pick. Now let's do Markstrom, you sign him for $5.5M, all you have lost is cash, kept your assets and have the draft pick in the future to allow you to trade a contract for more assets. Why to you automatically assume you overpay someone?
There was a rumor floating around that Murray might only cost a 3rd round pick or less due to his arbitration situation.

Just not a lot of value for a goalie coming off of a down year with arb rights in a flat cap world. Teams are hesitant to give him a big deal.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #66
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
You know who has brutal takes? Ryan Pinder.

Dude thinks Flames should trade Monahan + for Andersson + Korpisalo.

That dude has some of the worst takes on this team out there. It is idiotic.
When they first brought up Anderson, all 3 of them agreed it would take Monahan to get Anderson straight across. It was one of the craziest proposals I'd heard. I laughed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #67
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know who has brutal takes? Ryan Pinder.

Dude thinks Flames should trade Monahan + for Andersson + Korpisalo.

That dude has some of the worst takes on this team out there. It is idiotic.
I have felt this for a long time. I don't know if it is a keen desire to not appear to be a homer or what, but his trade takes usually come off like someone purposely trying to undermine the team. Really bad losses for the Flames, and usually with no real purpose or upside. Just brutal.

But what makes it worse, is his belligerent defense of his position, along with a total unwillingness to hear other takes (as a few people have already mentioned here).

I stopped listening to 960 because of him. And will only listen now (rarely) if he is not on.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #68
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
When they first brought up Anderson, all 3 of them agreed it would take Monahan to get Anderson straight across. It was one of the craziest proposals I'd heard. I laughed.

The hell? Are we talking Josh Anderson here?

Dude has exactly one good season under his belt surrounded by a whole bunch of meh. Blake Comeau scored 24 goals once.

I don’t get the love affair with this guy.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #69
FlamesLitSquad
Draft Pick

Quote:

Not a chance, I would even be hesitant to do a Bennett for Anderson swap straight up before he had a good postseason. They seem to be super concerned about the handidness of players, which of course is a concern, but it's super odd how they can swap from homerism to severely undervaluing our players so quick.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #70
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the Fan's take on Anderson either. It's not like he's an analytics darling or anything like that. Quite the opposite, if anything.

Monahan may not push the play but he is certainly a consistent point producer.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #71
Flamesm
Draft Pick

Quote:
It seems like Rhett is the only one that has good ideas on that show now. Pinder seems like he wants Monahan gone ASAP for no real reason.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The hell? Are we talking Josh Anderson here?

Dude has exactly one good season under his belt surrounded by a whole bunch of meh. Blake Comeau scored 24 goals once.

I don’t get the love affair with this guy.
Agree with you. I have soured on Monahan and believe a change would be good for him and club. But you have to acknowledge what he brings, which is consistent goal scoring. Anderson shows just how difficult, and desirable a trait that is, going from 27 goals to 1 goal. Even in his worst year this past season, Monahan probably gets to 25 goals.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #73
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tampa definitely says no

Downgrade of a player with much less term that barely clears any salary
For Tampa 1.75m is not "barely any", especially when it is only a slight downgrade. The guys they are going to move and save 4m+ are going to get awful return. I'd be completely shocked if they got as high as a 3rd for any of Johnson, Killorn, Palat or Gourde
Old 10-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #74
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
But TB could then likely trade Johnny for futures and cap space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Duchene-Turris-Picks deal could be used as the Framework.

Stamkos goes to Calgary for Gaudreau + 19th OV + Kylington.

Then Gaudreau goes somewhere else for 1st + Prospect.

Tampa ends up with two 1sts and prospects taking on no cap.

Flames end up with Stamkos.

Third team ends up with Gaudreau.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #75
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHL_Watch...99193378582531

Pierre Maguire says Flyers, Devils, Jackets in on Gaudreau but Flames need to get Hall signed before they make the move.

Long speculated by our fanbase
Old 10-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #76
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lower the ask is for Murray must mean his salary demands are high. I could see him asking for 6 .
Old 10-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #77
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agree with you. I have soured on Monahan and believe a change would be good for him and club. But you have to acknowledge what he brings, which is consistent goal scoring. Anderson shows just how difficult, and desirable a trait that is, going from 27 goals to 1 goal. Even in his worst year this past season, Monahan probably gets to 25 goals.
They were also saying GM how this worked from a money in vs money out stand point. Monohan straight up for Anderson is a joke. However Monohan for a #1 goalie and a top 6 forward doesn’t sound too bad if that how it would pan out.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #78
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/NHL_Watch...99193378582531

Pierre Maguire says Flyers, Devils, Jackets in on Gaudreau but Flames need to get Hall signed before they make the move.

Long speculated by our fanbase
Devils —> 7th Overall +
Flyers —> Patrick + Frost
Blue Jackets —> Nothing of interest, move along.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #79
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

With that much smoke around Gaudreau I think we see him traded and Hall + Markstrom brought in.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #80
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Devils —> 7th Overall +
Flyers —> Patrick + Frost
Blue Jackets —> Nothing of interest, move along.
If they are waiting to sign Hall, I don't see how a potential deal gets any picks from this draft, unless we trade for Hall's rights, sign him to a contract and flip Gaudreau in the next 7/8 hours.
Closed Thread