Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #201
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...ir-slot-deals/

Good article here on where the Jays stand with signing their picks. Have to think they are trying to get their 4th round pick to sign an under slot deal, so they can sure they have enough money to sign Martin without losing a draft pick.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #202
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...ir-slot-deals/

Good article here on where the Jays stand with signing their picks. Have to think they are trying to get their 4th round pick to sign an under slot deal, so they can sure they have enough money to sign Martin without losing a draft pick.
What type of pick would they lose if they had to go over slot to sign Martin.
Baseball used to be a draft with 40 rounds so for the most part picks don't really pan out. If Martin is say a Baseball version of Matthew Tkachuck any you are potentially losing your 2nd round pick in the next draft to not sign him....sign the more sure thing, and forget that pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #203
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
What type of pick would they lose if they had to go over slot to sign Martin.
Baseball used to be a draft with 40 rounds so for the most part picks don't really pan out. If Martin is say a Baseball version of Matthew Tkachuck any you are potentially losing your 2nd round pick in the next draft to not sign him....sign the more sure thing, and forget that pick.

Probably depends on how much they go over.

You most definitely sign Martin regardless, but you take the negotiation down to the wire in hopes of staying within the bonus pool.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #204
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably depends on how much they go over.

You most definitely sign Martin regardless, but you take the negotiation down to the wire in hopes of staying within the bonus pool.

Personally, I'm not sure you take the risk with a Boras client. I don't know all the implications if he doesn't sign, but let's say for arguments sake he doesn't sign (would be the second time in his career). Next year he goes back into the draft. With presumably no baseball in this next year, does his stock go anywhere? I don't think it does (without knowing about next years' class). So from his perspective, there's little risk of getting injured or moving substantially down with no season ahead potentially. Boras has the cards. So maybe you let it run down to the last week, and give in, because a guy like Boras won't flinch this year if he thinks he can get better coin elsewhere with no substantial risk. Worst that can happen for the Jays is this lose a pick. I don't think it's that bad. Losing the player would be such a bad outcome.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #205
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

0-5% over the bonus pool is a 75% tax on the amount over the threshold. 5-10% is 100% tax and a first round pick. I can't see the Jays giving up another first round pick to sign him as good as Martin.

I think while yes you can argue the risk isn't huge for him to back to into the draft next year I think you could easily counter with what is the upside? You sit out the year and delay the clock on everything for a year for what another 750k-1 million? Is that worth it?

I think Boras will want the Jays to pay the tax and that will be the sticking point but I can't see Boras pushing it further than that. I agree it will likely take a while to get this done.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #206
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
0-5% over the bonus pool is a 75% tax on the amount over the threshold. 5-10% is 100% tax and a first round pick. I can't see the Jays giving up another first round pick to sign him as good as Martin.

I think while yes you can argue the risk isn't huge for him to back to into the draft next year I think you could easily counter with what is the upside? You sit out the year and delay the clock on everything for a year for what another 750k-1 million? Is that worth it?

I think Boras will want the Jays to pay the tax and that will be the sticking point but I can't see Boras pushing it further than that. I agree it will likely take a while to get this done.
I could be wrong on this but if Martin doesn't sign and the Jays offered at least 40% of his slot value, they will get the 6th overall pick in next year's draft. So while yes the Jays would love to him signed it might not be the end of the world if he doesn't.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #207
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I could be wrong on this but if Martin doesn't sign and the Jays offered at least 40% of his slot value, they will get the 6th overall pick in next year's draft. So while yes the Jays would love to him signed it might not be the end of the world if he doesn't.
That is correct. I don't know the 2021 Draft well enough, although i hear it is good, but question would be do you get someone as high upside as Martin. He sounds pretty special by almost all accounts.

But that is jumping too far ahead as well IMO. I know it's Boras but I still fully expect the Jays will get this done.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #208
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, got a mobile alert that MLB owners caved and approved the start of the season. Shocked for the second time.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #209
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
That is correct. I don't know the 2021 Draft well enough, although i hear it is good, but question would be do you get someone as high upside as Martin. He sounds pretty special by almost all accounts.

But that is jumping too far ahead as well IMO. I know it's Boras but I still fully expect the Jays will get this done.
At this point, I'm assuming that the Jays have been up front with Boras. They would tell him that they are under slot right now for signings, and when they sign the last player, also under slot, they will give Martin every penny that wouldn't cost them a draft pick. I think that it gets done fast.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #210
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news: Officially a 60 game season now planned to start July 23rd or 24th!

Bad news: 40 games against AL East and 20 games against NL East

Thats OK when they play Baltimore and Florida, but the rest will be against NYY, Red Sox, Tampa, NYM, Phillies, Braves and Nationals

LOL
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 PM   #211
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Good news: Officially a 60 game season now planned to start July 23rd or 24th!

Bad news: 40 games against AL East and 20 games against NL East

Thats OK when they play Baltimore and Florida, but the rest will be against NYY, Red Sox, Tampa, NYM, Phillies, Braves and Nationals

LOL
To be the best you have to beat the best. Good test for the kids.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #212
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say bring it on. I think the Nats are going to take a big step backwards. They’re Another year older and losing Rendon is hard to make up. The RedSox lost Betts, and their rotation is a big question mark with Sale’s health being front and centre. The Rays, well, they’re always a thorn, but over a shortened season they’re just as likely to go 20-40 as 40-20. The NY teams look pretty strong, but who knows, maybe the Jays kids surprise some people...It’s a shame that opening day is still a month away.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #213
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

A 60 game season will be great. They should make that permanent.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #214
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays may not play their home game in Toronto due to quarantine requirements.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...b-opting-hubs/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #215
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Several players and staff members on the Toronto Blue Jays have tested positive for COVID-19
https://www.cp24.com/mobile/sports/s...d-19-1.4998321

Thanks for nothing, Florida
Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #216
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
A 60 game season will be great. They should make that permanent.
Hell no! Obviously you feel differently, but I LOVE being able to sit down and watch a ballgame on any given day all summer.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #217
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Hell no! Obviously you feel differently, but I LOVE being able to sit down and watch a ballgame on any given day all summer.
That’s true, I do like that I barely need to check the schedule, just flip on the tv at 10 after 5 and there is almost always a game. A 60 game season will be exciting though. The full 162 is just a crazy amount of games to watch, I only end up watching just a small fraction of it all.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #218
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Updated top prospects list:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...pect-rankings/

Quote:
The fifth-overall selection of the 2020 draft was ranked 16th on Baseball America‘s latest Top 100 Prospects list. First-overall pick Spencer Torkelson of the Detroit Tigers — coming in at No. 11 — is the only member of the 2020 class above Martin.
Quote:
Overall, the Blue Jays carry four of MLB’s top 100 prospects, with infielder Jordan Groshans (31) and pitcher Simeon Woods Richardson (67) also earning spots in the rankings.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #219
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1277336576427732992

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Hurry up and sign Martin
Old 06-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #220
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1277346086416498688

58 players listed for the Jays 60 man player pool.

2 more to come, hopefully Martin is one of them.