Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #1001
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

My father in law is great at custom wood working he always has projects on the go for friends and family. We are going to try and tackle one of these next winter, simpler than that top end one but still get some utility. Once we start it I'll post updates. And by we I mean him with me holding tools. But I'm getting a little better each project we try lol. The current table we have the top is an old butchers block and he made the legs out of recycled wood planks from one of their old family farm houses.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #1002
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default What is your favorite board game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
My father in law is great at custom wood working he always has projects on the go for friends and family. We are going to try and tackle one of these next winter, simpler than that top end one but still get some utility. Once we start it I'll post updates. And by we I mean him with me holding tools. But I'm getting a little better each project we try lol. The current table we have the top is an old butchers block and he made the legs out of recycled wood planks from one of their old family farm houses.
Haha I'm sure what I envision is totally different from what you have, but I see this:

If I posted a picture of our current set up, it wouldn't do it justice. We have an 8ft folding table. A local Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai/Vietnamese/Western restaurant (as pictured below) was throwing the table out and we opted on taking it. Turns out one hinge is rusted open, so it doesn't fold. On top of that the latch on the leg is basically welded with rust, which won't allow us to fold the legs in. To cap it all off, one of the feet on the leg that does actually fold appears to have been beaten off with a hammer, so it's about 2 inches shorter than the rest. Luckily, there happens to be a book, which I won't name at the risk of offending and infuriating some, that fits perfectly under the short-leg to all but eliminate and wiggle or wobble. I should also mention that the plastic has warped a little bit, probably from piping hot buffet heaters sitting on it, so pencils and dice tend to escape once in a while. The grease stains are simple cosmetic. Storage is a bit of a nightmare at times.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 05-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #1003
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post a pic man.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #1004
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.thegauntlet.ca/stay2play-...afes-and-bars/

Four months ago, Calgary blogger Mike Procee joined forces with David Minken, the founder of Connect More — a local organization focused on connecting corporate groups through board games — to try and find a way to bring board games to more bars and cafés in the city.

The result, Stay2Play, will launch on June 4. The concept aims to promote board games in different venues by making them more available to bar and café-goers. Stay2Play involves a package of curated board games alongside staff training and resources to make games accessible and engaging.

With 12 businesses already on board, Procee hopes Stay2Play will spread beyond Calgary.

Stay2Play will feature in bars and cafés across the city, including Good Earth, Second Cup, and Beans on Bow.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #1005
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of friends have introduced me to two new to me card games that I have been enjoying immensely.

Bohnanza
Struggle For Catan

I went out and bought Bohnanza and now have my kids hooked on it too. It is ages 13+, but my kids are 10 and 8 and they caught on quickly. It's our new family favourite activity on Sunday nights. It is a bean planting game. You get seeds and have 2-3 fields to plant seeds, and grow and harvest those fields for coins while trying to trade the seeds that won't help your fields. You sell/harvest your fields for coins and whomever had the most come at the end wins.

I'll wait a couple of years before trying to introduce Struggle For Catan to my kids as they may not take to it as quickly or favourably as I did, but I still love playing it.

I bought Bohnanza at Discovery Hut in Chinook Mall. It was $12 cheaper for me to get it in Calgary than to buy it at the games stores in Lethbridge.

Last edited by Buff; 06-20-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #1006
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I despise Bohnanza, but everyone else in the family loves it, so it gets quite a few plays.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #1007
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's a good gateway game that will introduce advanced mechanics. Sometimes card games are more approachable than busting out something like Terra Mystica
This post is terrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #1008
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bohnanza is a good camping game.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #1009
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Agreed, we play that game often.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #1010
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Came across a pretty neat table on kickstarter thought I would share. The price is quite reasonable and the quality looks good. I really like the idea of using a giant mouse pad as the gaming surface, much easier to clean and replace than stretching fabric.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...dgametablescom
Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #1011
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That's something I could see selling at Costco someday
Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #1012
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Gen Con starts tomorrow:

http://www.gencon.com/

Gen Con is the original, longest-running, best-attended, gaming convention in the world!

Featuring 500+ exhibiting companies from the game industry, award-winning authors and artists, costumed attendees, more than 19,000 events, a Family Fun Pavilion, and the debut of exciting new games, Gen Con truly is The Best Four Days in Gaming™!

Gen Con returns to Indianapolis from August 4-7, 2016. Last year, the convention set records with a unique attendance of 61,423 and a turnstile attendance of 197,695.

top ten most anticipated games
http://www.dicetower.com/game-podcas...preview-part-2

Last edited by troutman; 08-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #1013
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I am pumped to see what FFG has in store for Imperial Assault, should be a new big box expansion.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #1014
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone been to the new Hexagon in Kensington? I didn't even notice it had opened.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #1015
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This is the first time in seven years I won't be going to Gencon. I usually bring back 400$ in games, the exchange rate right would just be insane foe me.

On the plus side I was able to a get a copy of Mystic Vale, something I would have been looking for at Gencon always.

I'm interested in seeing what the second edition of Mansions Madness will be like, I loved the first edition, but set up time was one of the worst and it's also going to have a companion app like Descent.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #1016
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was thinking about board games, and I wish I could remember the name of the game. but it was basically a 4x space game with four players. You started out in your corner of the galaxy and started colonizing planets and building fleets of ships. There were two types of ships, one was almost like a frigate and one was a battleship which was worth multiple frigates. The board was a star field and then on the outside of the board around all four sides was a hyperspace tract, which was the only way to travel between systems. You also got almost like a carrer that could carry your shps through hyper space.

Each player was independant, and you could make agreements for safe passage through their space or alliances.

Why did I love this game, because one day I was playing with my sisters, and I built up a huge fleet, but my one sister built up a bigger fleet, I convinced her to ally and go to war with me against my other sisters. Then I convinced her that since she had this huge fleet, that I would split off my fleet in two and use it to defend our two home systems.

So she took her whole fleet and went to war, meanwhile I split my fleet in half and hyperspaced them to her system, then I declared war on her once she was engaged in a battle and took her home system and conquored her and gained control of her fleet.

I still have the scar to this day where she hit me in the head with the fleet carrier thingy and cut me open.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #1017
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Picked up Through the Ages on a whim yesterday.

I'm not sure how I've gone this long without playing it!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #1018
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I was thinking about board games, and I wish I could remember the name of the game. but it was basically a 4x space game with four players. You started out in your corner of the galaxy and started colonizing planets and building fleets of ships. There were two types of ships, one was almost like a frigate and one was a battleship which was worth multiple frigates. The board was a star field and then on the outside of the board around all four sides was a hyperspace tract, which was the only way to travel between systems. You also got almost like a carrer that could carry your shps through hyper space.

Each player was independant, and you could make agreements for safe passage through their space
Sounds like 4000 AD:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1435/4000-d

It was kind of like Risk, but where you were sending your fleets was somewhat secret.

Last edited by troutman; 08-08-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #1019
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Board game event for singles? August 13

https://www.facebook.com/events/1170013546418977/

GamesYYC & Singles Pursuit will be hosting the "Meeple Mingle" at Good Earth Coffeehouse using their Stay2Play_CA Board Game Library. This is a completely new event where we assist in mixing and mingling every 20 minutes with new people, keeping things fresh and entertaining. Get ready to meet new people and learn new games! You don't need to be an expert gamer, using a special Stay2Play library specifically designed with two player games, this fast paced environment is sure to quench your appetite for games, and conversation!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #1020
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This post is terrible View Post
This is the first time in seven years I won't be going to Gencon. I usually bring back 400$ in games, the exchange rate right would just be insane foe me.

On the plus side I was able to a get a copy of Mystic Vale, something I would have been looking for at Gencon always.

I'm interested in seeing what the second edition of Mansions Madness will be like, I loved the first edition, but set up time was one of the worst and it's also going to have a companion app like Descent.
Was in Seattle and spent some time at card kingdom and Cafe Mox and gave Mystic Vale a whirl. Had a blast and ended up buying it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote