Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #101
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

First step would be to review your Real Property Report to see if you own the land or not, as well as look at any easements/caveats that might impact the land in question.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #102
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got a question about Roundup, and the instructions on the label didn't really explain it.
My back yard has a tiered retaining wall with untouched dirt on it, which leaves it very susceptible to weeds, especially since my neighbour to the rear doesn't have a lawn and lets his weeds overgrow.

I bought one of those 4L jugs of Roundup this weekend and sprayed the weeds/long grass. My question is, how effective is Roundup, and how much should I saturate the long grass/weeds? The instructions on the label say that the Roundup will get absorbed through the foliage and get down into the roots, so I basically waved the wand around and sprinkled all over the grass/weeds, but I did not completely drench it as I had to cover a large area. I'm planning to put some landscape fabric weed barrier down once the weeds die and put gravel on top eventually but I'm wondering if I will need to re-apply the Roundup.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #103
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Any amount of Round-Up touching the plant will usually kill it, no need to drench it. Rarely is a second application needed. Just wait for a bit and eventually it will start turning yellow.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #104
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does the CP braintrust have any leads on a landscape lighting company?

Would like to support a local brick and mortar who wouldn't mind guiding a DIYer.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #105
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never had a problem with animals in my garden but this spring our residents squirrels have started digging in my garden and eating my seeds and possibly some of my young carrots. I noticed they have also been eating the grass seed that I spread out in a few places. Is there any reasonable way to keep the squirrels out of the garden?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have never had a problem with animals in my garden but this spring our residents squirrels have started digging in my garden and eating my seeds and possibly some of my young carrots. I noticed they have also been eating the grass seed that I spread out in a few places. Is there any reasonable way to keep the squirrels out of the garden?
Potatoes.

Or more specifically, a potato gun.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #107
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You could try sprinkling Critter Ridder. It keeps the rabbits away from my flowers. It might work for squirrels, too.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #108
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
You could try sprinkling Critter Ridder. It keeps the rabbits away from my flowers. It might work for squirrels, too.
Thanks. That might be a viable solution.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #109
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. That might be a viable solution.
Try the deer net from Lee valley tools. 28 bucks, you can wall in your garden with the larger bamboo stakes. It'll keep birds out too.

At 20 feet is pretty hard too see.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #110
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last year snow mold... this year voles. WTF.

I'm close to laying gravel over entire backyard if the voles go to town.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #111
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Last year snow mold... this year voles. WTF.

I'm close to laying gravel over entire backyard if the voles go to town.
How do you know or how can you tell its voles? Have you seen them or what?
I have a couple of spots in the backyard that buddy told me he thought it was voles. But I just dont know.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #112
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I had voles the year prior the same year the city had a big problem with them. Made tunnels throughout the snow cover. This year we didn't have much snow cover, so they didn't come out.

You sure it's voles?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #113
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Snakes.

And pellet guns.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #114
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's dead lines of destroyed grass snaking all over the backyard and holes dug under the fence. I'm 99% sure its voles.

Last edited by rohara66; 05-25-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #115
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
There's dead lines of destroyed grass snaking all over the backyard and holes dug under the fence. I'm 99% sure its voles.
I had the same the last couple of years as well. Fortunately this year (for now) they decided to burrow under my driveway instead of the lawn. Still left nice holes on the side of the lawn.

I followed what the helper at Home Depot told me, and put some rat/mouse poison in the holes then filled them up with dirt/added grass seed to the affected areas. Only had one hole re-open up so far. Might not work long-term, but should help with the immediate infestation.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #116
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I had the same the last couple of years as well. Fortunately this year (for now) they decided to burrow under my driveway instead of the lawn. Still left nice holes on the side of the lawn.

I followed what the helper at Home Depot told me, and put some rat/mouse poison in the holes then filled them up with dirt/added grass seed to the affected areas. Only had one hole re-open up so far. Might not work long-term, but should help with the immediate infestation.
I thought we had mice since after winter there was a couple holes under the fence (leading towards the neighbors deck) so we put poison out but just this weekend all the tracks in the grass popped up.

Will grab some more poison and traps and hopefully get these ####ers.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, lots of mice around. One scurried out of our compost bin. Yesterday I took the cover off my BBQ, then opened the lid and found one scurrying around inside! Guess my 19 year old cat isn't keeping up anymore...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #118
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, lots of mice around. One scurried out of our compost bin. Yesterday I took the cover off my BBQ, then opened the lid and found one scurrying around inside! Guess my 19 year old cat isn't keeping up anymore...
Tell me you lit that bbq with it still in there.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I did, but he scurried out the back as soon as the *crack* of the sparker went off. He wasn't on the grill, he was down below on the drip tray.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #120
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I thought we had mice since after winter there was a couple holes under the fence (leading towards the neighbors deck) so we put poison out but just this weekend all the tracks in the grass popped up.

Will grab some more poison and traps and hopefully get these ####ers.
Careful with the poison and pets. If they eat the mouse after it has had the poison the pet can die. You can hurt your neighbors pets this way too.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies