Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #241
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cool. Well if people here are interested, I can post. Of course it will only be the deals that I think are really amazing.

I've got all kinds of scripts set up to monitor and alert me of such things, so it's really not much extra work to post them here if people are interested.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #242
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Cool. Well if people here are interested, I can post. Of course it will only be the deals that I think are really amazing.

I've got all kinds of scripts set up to monitor and alert me of such things, so it's really not much extra work to post them here if people are interested.
If you happen to stumble on something out of the northeastern US (NYC area) in mid-August I'd be incredibly appreciative.

I've got a bunch of searches setup on kayak but I don't know how to run these scripts you speak of.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #243
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If you happen to stumble on something out of the northeastern US (NYC area) in mid-August I'd be incredibly appreciative.

I've got a bunch of searches setup on kayak but I don't know how to run these scripts you speak of.
How about JFK to Valencia, Spain for $283 ? Departs August 16th, returns August 23rd.

Has a crazy layover in Madrid though, you get in at 7 AM and depart 8 hours later.
On the plus side, the way back is direct!

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #244
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about JFK to Valencia, Spain for $283 ? Departs August 16th, returns August 23rd.

Has a crazy layover in Madrid though, you get in at 7 AM and depart 8 hours later.
On the plus side, the way back is direct!
That sounds amazing. I'm ideally looking to leave as soon as possible after August 8th and come back on the 22nd or 23rd. I'm going to start setting up alerts for those days to more airports, I completely forgot to hit some of those lesser known European cities.

How do you setup these searches? Do you have access to different databases or are you just smarter than us?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #245
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That sounds amazing. I'm ideally looking to leave as soon as possible after August 8th and come back on the 22nd or 23rd. I'm going to start setting up alerts for those days to more airports, I completely forgot to hit some of those lesser known European cities.
Just found something that might interest you...

Sat Aug 8 2009 to Sun Aug 23 2009
JFK->Valencia
$293
Delta
direct each way!

It leaves at 5PM on the 8th, so not sure if you can make it. If it has to be the 9th, the price goes up significantly unfortunately.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #246
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How do you setup these searches? Do you have access to different databases or are you just smarter than us?
Don't forget that on FareCompare when you're setting up alerts you can set up 'zones'. For example, you can set it to search Europe (all cities) and alert you of price drops.

That's one of my favorite ways to keep tabs on things!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #247
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't forget that on FareCompare when you're setting up alerts you can set up 'zones'. For example, you can set it to search Europe (all cities) and alert you of price drops.

That's one of my favorite ways to keep tabs on things!
I didn't know that, much appreciated. I'm going to do that right now, assuming I don't jump on that Valencia flight you just mentioned.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #248
smith12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

While I am obviously more interested in deals from Calgary, I am also very interested in deals from seattle. It's a quick road trip and I have a cabin in Sicamous to break up the trip.

Thanks for doing this!!! Awesome.
smith12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #249
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
While I am obviously more interested in deals from Calgary, I am also very interested in deals from seattle. It's a quick road trip and I have a cabin in Sicamous to break up the trip.

Thanks for doing this!!! Awesome.
No problem. I've just found out that these deals to Spain/Italy are from a variety of U.S. cities. The cheapest is actually Vegas, with flights to Spain for $200 USD return, if anyone was interested in doing a combo trip.

Phoenix is another one.

Valencia, Barcelona, Malaga, Madrid seem to be the cities involved in deals for Spain.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #250
Zarathustra
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No problem. I've just found out that these deals to Spain/Italy are from a variety of U.S. cities. The cheapest is actually Vegas, with flights to Spain for $200 USD return, if anyone was interested in doing a combo trip.

Phoenix is another one.

Valencia, Barcelona, Malaga, Madrid seem to be the cities involved in deals for Spain.
Any chance we'll see these kinds of deals here for Calgary? Some of my friends want to come with me to Spain but they would have to pay and arm and leg if the prices stay as they are!
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #251
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Any chance we'll see these kinds of deals here for Calgary? Some of my friends want to come with me to Spain but they would have to pay and arm and leg if the prices stay as they are!
Good question, I have no idea, it's on Delta/Span Air which both have Calgary on their routes, so it's certainly possible.

Tell them to take a road trip to Seattle, if they split the gas it would probably only be another 50 bucks each!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #252
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This just in....

Calgary to Munich - $364 USD

June 17-25. Air Transat. Use Orbitz.com (Air Transat's site is erroring out for me right now)

I'm also seeing June 10-18. As in, leaving tomorrow, talk about a last minute deal!

cM

Last edited by cmyden; 06-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #253
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

These prices are awesome! So good, in fact, I'm trying to figure out how to pull off a trip with the wife and 2 kids.

Cmyden, when you quote the prices, you include all taxes and fees?

Also, you generally have a week long trip, like the Calgary to Munich one above. Can they be exteneded somehow? I am guessing that for some days of the week it would be cost prohibitive, but what about a full second week? I hate flying, especially with the kids, so more days on site vs time in the air is key.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #254
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Cmyden, when you quote the prices, you include all taxes and fees?
Yes, the prices I quote *always* include all taxes/fees, just to keep things simple and easy to compare (and besides, I hate places that advertise a $200 flight to somewhere and forget to mention the $500 in taxes/fees)

Quote:
Also, you generally have a week long trip, like the Calgary to Munich one above. Can they be exteneded somehow? I am guessing that for some days of the week it would be cost prohibitive, but what about a full second week? I hate flying, especially with the kids, so more days on site vs time in the air is key.
Often what you can try is looking at combinations of the dates that I post, because those are the cheap days that I'm seeing.

For this Munich deal for example, I'm seeing that June 10th-25th is giving the same price, nice! You've helped me find another deal.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 AM   #255
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be interested in rigging up my computer to notify me of awesome deals for London like you have done, cmyden. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts and have only a vague understanding of RSS feeds, so it may not be possible. Any tips?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #256
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cheapest way to get to Victoria?
Incogneto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #257
rockstar
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Cheapest way to get to Victoria?
Craigslist yourself a ride to Vancouver ($30 for gas) and take the ferry for $11.

rockstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #258
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've done a couple of combo trips, including NY/SF/LA, and Seattle/LA/SD (waaay less taxes when you're flying domestic within the US). Good exchange rate helps too

While we're on the topic, I would also suggest taking the 5 hour drive to Great Falls, and then catching a flight with Allegiant Air. They sometimes have $29 flights to Las Vegas and to Phoenix (plus tax), so it may be worth a combo trip if you can get a good deal (either within the US or internationally).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #259
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
While we're on the topic, I would also suggest taking the 5 hour drive to Great Falls, and then catching a flight with Allegiant Air. They sometimes have $29 flights to Las Vegas and to Phoenix (plus tax), so it may be worth a combo trip if you can get a good deal (either within the US or internationally).
Same goes for the Westcoast people. Make the drive to Bellingham and check out Allegiant air I have see $19 flights to Vegas from there.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #260
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Same goes for the Westcoast people. Make the drive to Bellingham and check out Allegiant air I have see $19 flights to Vegas from there.
Any idea what the Allegiant air flights come out to after taxes? I'm too lazy to fill out their forms to get pricing.