Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #101
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Huh, I wouldn't go that old. I thought Millenial stopped at 35 and GenX went to 45. I'm 38 and I sure don't identify with Millenials.

These arguments are so silly. On average, everyone everywhere is bad with money. No matter the generation.
Well i mean, ignoring the fact that Millennial is just a marketing gimmick that got turned into the latest "kids today!" rant target, its people who had "coming of age" around the millennium within a couple years. 40 isn't a huge stretch tbh.

Honestly have you ever truly met someone willing to look at all these awful emotionally stunted articles about millennials and think "I identify with this!"?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #102
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Hah you have enough money to buy an LG-D852?? Wasteful spending! Why not just stay with 850 version?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #103
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So is renting not considered an option anymore? I rented for more than 10 years before I bought a place. So did all my friends.
I think the difference, or so I've heard, is that there's no longer any money to be saved in renting anymore when your rent is approximately the equivalent to what your mortgage payment would be. How do you save up the money for a down payment at that point?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #104
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
We have 3 free sources of coffee at work, one is borderline gourmet. We also have a Starbucks across the street. I blows my mind how many people in this building, rich and poor, will blow a minimum of $5 a day at the Starbucks, when they could save $13-1500 a year, by just using the robo-barista, for free. That pays your car insurance for the year.
yeah, that's it exactly...

someone else mentioned auto-subscription renewals just bleeding you to death as well... which isn't untrue - i just think people need to really step back and take an inventory of their discretionary spending habits.

I am certainly not great at saving either, but people would be surprised about how much they don't need things if they really want to pare down... Cable for example is another thing that can be cut down...

with shaw's you pick 10 channels for 20 bucks a month, i cut my cable bill by 30 dollars a month... and outside of a few hockey games, i haven't lost any channels i'd really feel like i am missing.

people will find that small changes actually can add up to a lot
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #105
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Hah you have enough money to buy an LG-D852?? Wasteful spending! Why not just stay with 850 version?
Think of the avocados and toast he could have bought!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #106
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

You need a budget changed my life. I always used spread sheets but the power to update it from my mobile as I purchased it was the TSN turning point.

I never liked budgeting apps that just take from your account, I like the ones where you have to enter it as it keeps you more aware of your spending.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #107
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Oh, I fully admit to being an idiot with my money, throughout my 20s, but I don't have any kids, my rent is $600/month, and I'll have a full pension by the time I'm 55, so it's all kind of working out.

That said, I grew up in a broken home where my dad was played the classic rob Peter to pay Paul game with his creditors, and my mom was bankrupted by legal fees during their divorce proceedings. Not exactly two great sources for financial literacy.

I'm just saying I doubt Zarley and Tacopuck were just naturally inclined to invest. They probably had at least a guiding hand from their parents if not some actual instruction.

I think you can probably look at some of the spending habits of millennials, such as eating out, and trace that back to upbringing, too. Both of my parents taught me how to cook from a young age and also made me go grocery shopping with them and would explain to me which foods were overpriced/underpriced and why.

Ususally good habits are a product of good upbringing and it's very hard to ingrain new ones past a certain age without some sort of foundation.
Born on third base. Think they hit a triple. We all think like that to a certain degree. (I'm not singling out Zarley with that BTW, but Tacopuck's comment that if he had been brought up in a single-parent family he'd basically be in the same advantageous situation he is now comes across as naive).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #108
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Well i mean, ignoring the fact that Millennial is just a marketing gimmick that got turned into the latest "kids today!" rant target, its people who had "coming of age" around the millennium within a couple years. 40 isn't a huge stretch tbh.

Honestly have you ever truly met someone willing to look at all these awful emotionally stunted articles about millennials and think "I identify with this!"?

No, I like to read those articles and laugh. "Stupid Millennials!" I'd say. It's easier if I'm not one of them.

Last edited by V; 05-16-2017 at 04:27 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #109
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
You need a budget changed my life. I always used spread sheets but the power to update it from my mobile as I purchased it was the TSN turning point.

I never liked budgeting apps that just take from your account, I like the ones where you have to enter it as it keeps you more aware of your spending.
Yeah, except that requires a subscription service now too. Like I'm going to pay a subscription for a budgeting software.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think Calgary is a bit of a different scene too. Obviously, there are a lot of people on this board lucky enough to still have jobs and the overall recession has kept property prices down somewhat. in the rest of Canada or in Alberta, if you don't have job security, things as a whole aren't as rosy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #111
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
No, I like to read those articles and laugh. "Stupidity d Millenials!" I'd say. It's easier if I'm not one of them.
Well even if you are, you can do what everyone else does and think "But I'm one of the good/smart/frugal/resourceful ones! What a unique snowfl...individual I am!" and pat yourself on the back knowing that you don't fit some bull#### clickbait stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #112
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Are your posts in this thread satire?

I ask this because you typically are a well-informed poster, yet your contributions to this topic are unsubstantiated rubbish rooted moreso in the sociology of generations than in financial and statistical realities.
Sorry, yeah, I am trolling a bit, and I have had very little sleep in the last couple of days.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #113
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ususally good habits are a product of good upbringing and it's very hard to ingrain new ones past a certain age without some sort of foundation.
It's not uncommon for people with parents who are horrible with money to do everything in their power to not end up like them. Some of the stingiest people I know do so because they are completely debt averse after seeing their parents struggle.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #114
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Born on third base. Think they hit a triple. We all think like that to a certain degree. (I'm not singling out Zarley with that BTW, but Tacopuck's comment that if he had been brought up in a single-parent family he'd basically be in the same advantageous situation he is now comes across as naive).
It's much easier to feel superior to others when you can attribute your success to your own hard work and intellect, and completely ignore the socioeconomic and blind luck elements.

EDIT: FYI, this wasn't directed at the two posters in question. Just commentary on general societal attitudes.

Last edited by rubecube; 05-16-2017 at 04:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #115
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

speaking of rent, what about people who say they can't afford rent but will die before they consider a roommate.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #116
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
It's not uncommon for people with parents who are horrible with money to do everything in their power to not end up like them. Some of the stingiest people I know do so because they are completely debt averse after seeing their parents struggle.
Well except that the various studies regarding the lack of class mobility kind of suggests that it is uncommon, anecdotal evidence notwithstanding.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #117
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I actually kinda agree with this, even though I'm unsure if it is being sarcastic.

My folks didn't go to Europe until their mid-sixties. I have never been either in my early 40's. Our family vacations were always in campgrounds or on road trips in our trusty old RV, which were far more economical.

I notice the young people I work with think it is an absolute necessity to save 5-10k, then blow the wad 6-12 months later on an exotic vacation, rinse, then repeat. My late teens and early twenties I squirreled away every nickel I have to buy my first townhouse. And it wasn't exactly cheap either, it was still $134k in 1994 and I saved 25% down over 3 years making 30-35k/yr at the time. That's pretty much minimum wage now.

I was on rabbit ear television at the time. No cell phone, and just a $25 land line. Drove $500 beaters and made very single nickel count. Generic everything at the grocery store, no bought lunches or dinners. I budgeted $200per month for entertainment, that was it. The irony was, suffering from 19-22 was the best payoff ever, because I leveraged that crappy little town house, and still do to this day, even though I sold it in 1998. It started the ball rolling. I can trace back everything I have to making a 3 years sacrifice, as I always timed the booms and busts well. Sold high, bought fixer-uppers low, rented in-between. But you have to decide you are gonna slum it for future prosperity.

Priorities have certainly shifted. Young peoples lives are more about the experience, than the acquisition of things/property. And I'm not necessarily saying it's the right or wrong way. But you can't really complain when you are 32 and don't have two nickels to scratch together when you buy every new iPhone, every year at $1000/hit, and have a $150 cell bill, and $100 internet bill every month. You haven't even entertained yourself yet or taken a vacation. In 2 years alone though, just those 3 things, that's $8000, damn near the minimum down payment for a $200k condo. I see people spend $12 every day minimum on lunch. That's $12,500 a year on a 5 day work week. You could half that by cooking at home. But that takes effort.

It is a 'now' generation, and I have somewhat succumbed to it myself. But I can afford it now because of the initial sacrifice. I see immigrants doing it when they come here, but born and raised typical suburban kids don't seem to have the same patience. Too much entitlement and impatience.
$200k condo huh?

Here's the issue. The condo you're talking about costs $400k. Then when you afford that, how do you move up into the house. It takes another decade of savings. Even in Calgary, which is in the middle of a recession, that's far more difficult than it was a year ago.

Also do you really think it's a good idea to advise people to be putting down a 4% down payment? Let's be realistic, if you don't have 20%, it's probably a bad idea....

40% of $400k is $160k. Let's say you have a minimum wage job at $60k/year, which leaves you with roughly $45k after taxes....Do the math on that one? And that's to move your family into a cramped condo in Calgary, which is going through a recession.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #118
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
speaking of rent, what about people who say they can't afford rent but will die before they consider a roommate.
I think it depends on the situation. If you're comfortable living in a bachelor or studio apartment, there aren't really any savings to be had by splitting a two bedroom with a roommate.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #119
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't think it's naive. We are not simply a collection of what our parents taught us to be. We are our own choices.

I grew up pretty poor with parents that couldn't save, couldn't budget, declared bankruptcy, died penniless, and taught me nothing about finance. I run an investment company.

Saying Tacopuck is naive, is naive, IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #120
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Let's say you have a minimum wage job at $60k/year, which leaves you with roughly $45k after taxes....Do the math on that one?
Did you do the math on that one?
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post: